New Kemper user...help!

• hi folks,

I finally bought a kemper stage last week with a powered kab (using an iPad pro for RM) and I am impressed with the amount of profiles out there. I purchased the Dr Z profiles along with the Tone junkie everything pack...so there is no lack of choices that's for sure.

I am struggling with getting a big sound with any of the profiles. In fact, most profiles sound very similar other then the amount of gain in each profile. Am I missing something? I might be naive, but i was under the impression that the profiles would sound big and bold like they did in real life, but I must say they do not. They sound thin and shrill in comparison to the performance options available as demos in the Kemper.

What am I not understanding? Do these profiles need to be EQ'd? Or any other modifications need to be done to get a bigger sound? Don't get me wrong, I can hear the similarity with the Z Wreck profile when comparing it to the real amp...but its missing the lows and highs and mid range of the actual amp. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• What Output are you using and how do you hear at it? (Headphones, studio monitors, pa speakers...)

I have been forced to use my headphones due to a sleeping baby...and until now, I never thought of that...however, even in the headphones there is still a HUGE difference between the "raw" profiles and the preloaded kemper performances...

I will add that in terms of effects, I am using a pretty simple reverb from the kemper. I still need to dig into the noise gate, compressor etc.

• Not very clear what it is you're comparing. What is it you're calling a "raw" profile? The sound of the original amp? A Kemper profile in Browser mode?

And the "preloaded Kemper performances"? Are you talking about one of the Kemper performances? Keep in mind that a Kemper performance is just a group of up to five Kemper profiles - the same ones you might load up in Browser mode.

On your Kemper Output settings page, do you have it set to Master Stereo? Any extra EQ set on the Output settings?

Any chance you're trying a Direct profile (no cabinet)? That wouldn't really work with headphones.

As far as EQ - the profiles are created at whatever EQ the creator thought best. So just like any real amp, you may need to EQ to your taste and guitars. If you're using a bright guitar like a Tele, you might try dialing down definition on the AMP settings page a bit.

• I would recommend starting with one preloaded profile and one that you purchased and start comparing the EQ and output volumes. There are a lot of variables to these. It could be a simple EQ adjustment. It could be a definition adjustment or one of a number of other things. We can try to help but you will have to provide some detailed information for us to go on.

• I have been forced to use my headphones due to a sleeping baby...and until now, I never thought of that...however, even in the headphones there is still a HUGE difference between the "raw" profiles and the preloaded kemper performances...

I will add that in terms of effects, I am using a pretty simple reverb from the kemper. I still need to dig into the noise gate, compressor etc.

What kind of headphones?

Is "Space" activated?

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• Couple of questions:

1) Are you saying you can get good sounds but just not from the Tone Junkie profiles?

2) Some profiles will be better suited to live - i.e. a reasonable volume

3) As mentioned check your outputs but if some profiles sound as you expect, it could just be that the tone Junky ones are not to your taste. Many profiles of the same amp will not sound wildly different

• I'm just seeing the profile packs you bought. IMO not going to give you a "big" sound. The free rig packs and Stock Kemper profiles have better profiles to offer. A Kemper can sound horrible or amazing. It's ALL in the profile. Wrong profile,struggle. Right profile, you'll be up 'till 3am playing it.

• I would recommend starting with one preloaded profile and one that you purchased and start comparing the EQ and output volumes. There are a lot of variables to these. It could be a simple EQ adjustment. It could be a definition adjustment or one of a number of other things. We can try to help but you will have to provide some detailed information for us to go on.

I am trying to think back...and I will verify this information tonight. But I was playing through the kemper via the headphone jack and thought that it sounded amazing...but through my interface, not the case... like I said I will check this again tonight. Sorry for the lack of info or poor vocabulary...im brand new to kempers.

• Couple of questions:

1) Are you saying you can get good sounds but just not from the Tone Junkie profiles?

2) Some profiles will be better suited to live - i.e. a reasonable volume

3) As mentioned check your outputs but if some profiles sound as you expect, it could just be that the tone Junky ones are not to your taste. Many profiles of the same amp will not sound wildly different

1. Kemper has a preloaded performance loaded on the kemper that sounds like "purple rain" settings and it sounds amazing...big, full sound with sustain.

I will check the output section...but when plugged into the back of the kemper I do remember having a WOW moment...so I think it's good up to that point. Maybe it's something in the interface?UA apollo town x?

• I am trying to think back...and I will verify this information tonight. But I was playing through the kemper via the headphone jack and thought that it sounded amazing...but through my interface, not the case... like I said I will check this again tonight. Sorry for the lack of info or poor vocabulary...im brand new to kempers.

No worries. More information will help us help you. If all sounds good with the headphones directly into the Kemper then we know it is farther down the line. It could be a number of things in that signal chain.

• 1. Kemper has a preloaded performance loaded on the kemper that sounds like "purple rain" settings and it sounds amazing...big, full sound with sustain.

I will check the output section...but when plugged into the back of the kemper I do remember having a WOW moment...so I think it's good up to that point. Maybe it's something in the interface?UA apollo town x?

This is my point....seems odd that you can get a good sound, so just trying to rule out which aspect is the issue.

Yeah, could definetly be the interface, input volume etc..

• No worries. More information will help us help you. If all sounds good with the headphones directly into the Kemper then we know it is farther down the line. It could be a number of things in that signal chain.

Are the headphones before or after the output section?

• Why don't you read the Main Manual 8.5 first! Headphones is one of the many outputs which can Kemper offer. Settings for each output can be modified in the output section (see description in Manual).

• Profiles will sound similar if you are using a OD/Dist pedal out front since they add much of their own color. If you want your profiles to remain different from each other then don't use those pedals. Use the amps gain and definition instead.

Also, play loud for fat sound.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Profiles will sound similar if you are using a OD/Dist pedal out front since they add much of their own color. If you want your profiles to remain different from each other then don't use those pedals. Use the amps gain and definition instead.

Also, play loud for fat sound.

The only effects I'm using on the kemper is reverb and delay here and there but I have not found a sound that's worth playing through yet...stay tuned, in a couple hours I'll check a few things and report back.

Thanks for all the help thus far!

• Hi, gtrplayr85,

Welcome to the community and congratulations on getting your PROFILER Stage and Powered Kab.

? Before you buy Commercial Rigs and Profiles check out the Rig Manager for Rig Packs and Rig Exchange

Check out the resources below. They will save you a ton of time. A small investment for huge returns - I promise.

? Kemper Manuals and Quick Start guides ?

? Rig Manager Download and Documentation ??

? Kemper Tutorials & Demos (videos) ?

? Kemper FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Download Main Manual 8.5 English

Check out

Download the Kemper Rig Packs

• I am thinking maybe it's a setting in the output block section of the profiler.

I am running the stage to my UAD apollo twin x via 2 XLR cables. I also have 1 instrument cable going to my Kemper power kabinet.

what should my settings look like for this setup? I will try to post a picture of my output screen in a few.