New Kemper user...help!

• Thanks so much!

• I am thinking maybe it's a setting in the output block section of the profiler.

I am running the stage to my UAD apollo twin x via 2 XLR cables. I also have 1 instrument cable going to my Kemper power kabinet.

what should my settings look like for this setup? I will try to post a picture of my output screen in a few.

Since you're using the XLR inputs on the UAD, you probably need to activate the -20 dB pad.

See page 23 in the UAD manual.

OR

Just to see if it makes a difference connect the Stage using the 1/4" outputs to the UAD 1/4" inputs. Use 1/4" Tip-Sleeve cables.

OR

Use XLR to 1/4" Tip Sleeve cables (Stage to UAD).

• Are you going Mono out from KPA output settings, or Stereo?

If you use only one TS / TRS cable to interface, does it sound better? ( Line level input )

With two cables, do you pan the two channels hard left and right in your DAW?

I´m thinking phase issues here .... :/

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• playing around with the Apollo, I have 2 XLR lines going from my stage to the UAD. Ch. 2 {mic} seems to control 90% of the volume, channel 1 {line} adds minimal hum gradually as you turn it up like a preamp does when being turned up. Is my ch 1 XLR bad?

If I turn up the master vol on the kemper the humming gets really loud.
    ‘I set the master vol on the kemper to half, the vol on the Apollo to half on ch 2 and the headphone volume and tone is much better but I have to add a noise gate and comp to compensate for the loads of hum coming through.

neither ch 1 or 2 are clipping on the apollo.

• Looks like you have your cabinet locked. Maybe the speaker you've locked isn't a great match to the profiles you're trying?

Also you could try the Kemper Main Outs (not power amp) directly to your studio monitors. Might want to keep the volume down at first. If it sounds more like what you're expecting then that would tell something isn't really right in the connection to your interface. For ex: maybe you need the -12DB turned on on the Kemper even if it doesn't seem to be overdriving.

If you don't like the sound directly into the monitors, and with the cabs that come from the profiles, then its Kemper settings or your profile choices.

• So yes, the picture works.

You also have Pure Cabinet on. Some here don't care for what that does to some profiles, but you could easily try it on or off to see if it makes any difference.

• The pad only works with 1 of the 2 channels and is not present when I link up the 2 channels together. Also, as stated above, the one channel is significantly louder than the other...but now that I think about it, it's probably because in the consol program on my imac, I think I have a pre amp assigned to that channel. Does this make sense? Should I have a preamp assigned in consol or none at all?

At work for the day but I will check this again tonight. I had hockey last night and couldn't spend much time with it.

• Also, as stated above, the one channel is significantly louder than the other...

If I understand your initial post correctly (I am not familiar with your particular interface) the difference in levels is because one channel is set to mic level and the other line level, The mic channel has a preamp to boost a mic level signal to line level but if you are already sending it a line level from the KPA the preamp will be making that channel louder than the other. This is why several people have suggested using a pad. Also, if your interface uses combi inputs which accept XLR or TRS, the Preamp is often automatically engaged when XLR is used but not engaged when TRS. Therefore, to get two equal level channels you should use either TS cables or XLR to TRS cables.

• If I understand your initial post correctly (I am not familiar with your particular interface) the difference in levels is because one channel is set to mic level and the other line level, The mic channel has a preamp to boost a mic level signal to line level but if you are already sending it a line level from the KPA the preamp will be making that channel louder than the other. This is why several people have suggested using a pad. Also, if your interface uses combi inputs which accept XLR or TRS, the Preamp is often automatically engaged when XLR is used but not engaged when TRS. Therefore, to get two equal level channels you should use either TS cables or XLR to TRS cables.

I didnt even think of that! Will the XLR to TRS cable going from my kemper to the interface be the same audio quality as the XLR to XLR?