Just purchased a Powered Kabinet for live use. Questions.....

• Hello my fellow Kemper brothers and sisters. I've been using my unpowered Kemper Rack with my event band in NYC for a few years now. We all use IEM's (no amps on stage) and I've tweaked my patches at home using my Neumann KH-120 studio monitors. My patches sound amazing both through my monitors at home as well as through FOH.

I have some gigs coming up with a few other bands who don't use IEM's (they all use real amps onstage) and I just purchased a Powered Kabinet to use live with these other bands.

I want to use my existing patches that I always use and still send a direct signal to the FOH like I normally do. What is the most common way to configure the Kemper with the Powered Kabinet for live use in my situation? Thanks!

• Hi jabromusic.

Congratulations on getting your Powered Kabinet.

There's a whole chapter devoted to it in the Kemper Main Manual, starting here.

Download Main Manual 8.5 English ???

It's well worth the time it takes to read it. I suggest you do with the STAGE and Powered Kab fired up so you can try things.

• I think you'll have some work to do to tweak things in advance. Some patches might sound better, some worse.

Since the Kemper kabinet will now be providing the cab portion you'll need to set the right speaker type for each of your patches.

Try to keep the kabinet a reasonable distance from you. Too close and the speaker won't sound as expected to you.

Experiment with the Kone settings at rehearsal as well to make it more or less dispersed.

• I think you'll have some work to do to tweak things in advance. Some patches might sound better, some worse.

Since the Kemper kabinet will now be providing the cab portion you'll need to set the right speaker type for each of your patches.

Try to keep the kabinet a reasonable distance from you. Too close and the speaker won't sound as expected to you.

Experiment with the Kone settings at rehearsal as well to make it more or less dispersed.

There won't be any rehearsals. :) If my patches already sound amazing through my studio monitors and through FOH, won't they sound great through the Kabinet once I have the right speaker types selected?

• That page above in the manual makes it sound like you cannot run stereo with a powered profiler and unpowered kabinet AND a powered kabinet. But you can...

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Well, I got my Kemper Power Kabinet today and...... it's going back. It's definitely not a bad product. It's lightweight and is definitely loud enough to hang with a full band. It was just too different sounding than my studio monitors and I would've had to reprogram all of the profiles that I use with my band (40-50 of them). I've tweaked my profiles through my Neumann KH-120 studio monitors over the last few years and they all sound amazing when I use them live direct to FOH every weekend. I thought that the Powered Kabinet would sound similar and possibly need some minimal EQ tweaking via the monitor EQ, but it was just too different. I tried it in FRFR mode as well as using it with imprints and I basically got the same results so it's going back home. Just thought that I would share my experience.

• Thank you for sharing your experience.

Mine are different. In FRFR mode it sounds for me near the same as thru my KH-120,. Different because it comes from a single sound source and different position. However I prefere the imprints cause it sounds like a real amp.

• Having used guitar cab, then FRFR and now Kabinet I've come to the conclusion that...

...any change in monitoring requires changes in profiles.

The Kabinet was always going to sound different because its designed to sound different....its designed to sound my amp like and less FRFR.

These show the imprecise nature of how we get our sound and its component bits.

I have "tuned" my profiles for the Kabinet and live and I'm really happy. When I plug into my studio, they aren't great....but I expect that.

There is "no one size fits all"....

• Interesting. I tweaked my sounds through my Neumann K-120 studio monitors and they translated perfectly live through FOH as well as my IEM's. I thought that they would translate fairly well to the Kabinet with minimal tweaking. I have an Accugroove Latte FRFR on the way and will give a full report once I give it a spin.