Marshall Transistor AMPs

• Hello,

I'm new to the Kemper and I've got used to it a little. I'm currently looking for free profiles from old Marshall Transistor Amplifiers. E.g. Lead12 5005, Lead 20, MG100dfx, AVT20, AVT50, AVT100, AVT150. Have only found some V100 8100.

I can`t find them in the Rig Exchange? Is this to simple for profiling?

Thank you for help, Jürgen

• Can't see any issue in profiling them but I suspect they are not in high demand because in general they were not considered in high regard.

In other words most people would prefer a JCM800 over an AVT...

• Billy Gibbons used a Lead 12 on his last album and a Lead 20 is used on Rage Against the Machine Album
    for e.g..

I am surprised and this is not what I expected.

But your are right that most in common is to play a 2203 YM and a mesa JP IIC+ for e.g.

• I have a Lead 12 and want to profile it. Just haven't got around to it. I think you are only the second person who is interested in one.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Old UK Marshall trannie amps are underrated IMHO. I have a Lead 12, a Master Lead 5010 combo and, (new!) a stereo Bichorus 200 with UK Celestion G12T75's, found it in a thrift store for 70 euro. Profiling on pro level (Britt, Meulendijks etc.) isn't easy.

• My intention wasn´t a pro level - only a drunken SM57 (10cm) with documentation is enough to get an idea of the potential - instead of hearing hours of youtube videos. And if I need one really, I can buy one easily.

• I had a Lead 12 as my first ever amp. Thought it was a piece of shit and replaced it with a 50w Laney tranny amp which was actually even shitier ?

Then I got a Boogie Studio .22 which I still have. It was a revelation compared to those early tranny amps. Some friends had Peavey Bandits which he local music shop tried to convince me was better than my Boogie. The failed as it sounded like shit to me at the time. Other friends had the Sessionette 75 which was one of the better sounding tranny amps of the time.

My memory of those old 80’s tranny amps is just wasp in a jam jar buzzing. I would be interested to hear som profiles and see if they (or my perception) have matured like a fine wine with the passing of time ?

• I remember being really impressed with the Marshall SS back in the late 80's, but there was a decided non-tube vibe with lots of effects. Would be fun to play with a profile of one to compare with my experience as a youngster.

• Ok I'm willing to give it a try but don't expect miracles. Hooking the Lead 12 up to a bigger cab, in my case a UK Marshall 1922 2X12 with Celestion G12T75s, works wonders IMHO. The Bichorus is in repair.

• Billy Gibbons used a Lead 12 on his last album and a Lead 20 is used on Rage Against the Machine Album
    for e.g..

But your are right that most in common is to play a 2203 YM and a mesa JP IIC+ for e.g.

I really meant the AVT and MG stuff :)

for e.g..

I think people just use things like this to say they did rather than than because that particular tone could not be produced by any other means. If Jimi Page used a Gorilla amp on something wouldn't make the tone any better.

• They were definitely a thing in certain quarters in the late 80’s.
    Most Bradshaw systems I hired in LA off Andy Brauer in 1988 all came with a little Marshall Lead 12 amp as an alternate selectable amp. I never used it but they were being put into all his hire rigs at the time so there must have been some demand for them.

• They were definitely a thing in certain quarters in the late 80’s.
    Most Bradshaw systems I hired in LA off Andy Brauer in 1988 all came with a little Marshall Lead 12 amp as an alternate selectable amp. I never used it but they were being put into all his hire rigs at the time so there must have been some demand for them.

Dude, that is so cool!

• Dude, that is so cool!

Cheers. Even cooler is the Mesa Mk2C head in that photo that I was renting from Brauer is Steve Lukather’s. Looks to be the same one from the Starlicks videos.

Even cooler than that was that I recorded half that album in Joni Mitchell’s home studio in Bel Air where these photos were taken. She was then married to Larry Klein who was co producing the album with Mike Shipley.
    It was an amazing studio and location to be recording in. Dip in the pool and sun bathing before or after guitar takes.

I was only 22 when I first went. Had my 23rd Birthday out there. It was such a great experience for a boy from industrial Oldham. A whole world away from how I grew up.

• Cheers. Even cooler is the Mesa Mk2C head in that photo that I was renting from Brauer is Steve Lukather’s. Looks to be the same one from the Starlicks videos.

Even cooler than that was that I recorded half that album in Joni Mitchell’s home studio in Bel Air where these photos were taken. She was then married to Larry Klein who was co producing the album with Mike Shipley.
    It was an amazing studio and location to be recording in. Dip in the pool and sun bathing before or after guitar takes.

I was only 22 when I first went. Had my 23rd Birthday out there. It was such a great experience for a boy from industrial Oldham. A whole world away from how I grew up.

Wow!! That's not cool, its ice cold!

You name dropper you ;)

• Mine! I bought this new in the 80's when I wanted to learn guitar but I did not want to practice. I have no idea why the top angle speaker cloth did not fade. After all these years as a decoration piece, I got to hear it again. It's like new old stock.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.