Why does it seem like many guitarist are against using effects?

• IMHO, primarily this totally depends on the type of music and your own style and taste, od course. A talented modern guitarist must be able to do a dry straight into the amp Rock battle as well as play in the style of the Edge or modern "worship" (you get the point) tone. You should be able to use everything and express yourself in as many situations as possible if necessary.

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

• ummmmm? what? lol little angry at the world bud?

• IRL I don't care what anyone thinks, whether that's what I play or what I use or what I write. I find that pisses people off, even close musician friends that I don't care about their opinions. But I don't. The most important thing is to be yourself, especially when playing your own material.

• ummmmm? what? lol little angry at the world bud?

Nah. Partially a joke, partially the way I feel, partially bullshit probably. Did you feel offended by what I said or why are you commenting like this?

I mean, that's what you're doing right now. Bringing up stuff that's half a year old just to step on someone and have a higher opinion. Being all "ey there bud, what's going on?" like saying "some people like to elevate themselves above others" is an outlandish idea that you didn't just confirm lol. I could extract all kinds of different personality traits in you from that alone, but at the end of the day, I recognize forum posts are just forum posts. For me, for you, and for most people. And then forum posts can offend people, just like news articles, law bills and all kinds of other written information that isn't presented by a talking head. You never got pissed off reading something on the internet? Wow, just wow, how do I know you're lying ? We're like dogs chasing cars. All of us. "Ooh there's one". It happened to me when I wrote my post, and it happened to you now. I see something, and feel like I wanna say something about it on that day, then I do. Most of the times I don't but some times I do. Some times you do too. You did today. It says nothing more about us than we like to interact with other humans, for better or worse. There's nothing more to it lol.

With that said, if you get the kind of person I am talking about and wanna tell me you never met that kind of person, fine. Maybe you haven't. Or maybe you're forgetting about it cause making me look bad is way more fun and stimulates serotonin-production in a much more significant way than seeing someone else's point of view does. The former makes you feel like you won over someone, the latter makes you feel like you're working. How did it make you feel to tell me what you said? How did it feel to think you had me pegged? Why did you even do it? Do I have a point or don't I? Maybe I'm just lazy and a big loser in addition to being mad at the world. That's for you to decide and me not to care about :P But if you haven't ran into guitarists that think they have it all figured, or people with elitist opinions in general, you probably never ran into people that get off like that, and I understand your confusion. They are psychologial archetypes though but let's pretend it's just the madness talking, because people NEVER act that way in real life surely. It's all in my head. You trying to shit on me is an act of righteousness and it's just my bitterness that shrouds the truth from me that I am the mad one, and you're all swell. The previous paragraph before this one made exactly 0 points worth taking home.

How do you get "mad"? Have you seen mad people? And why does that matter? I still made points. Ukraine is probably mad at Russia now, should we disregard everything coming out of Ukraine now cause it's being said by someone that's mad? That's not a very elegant point but I think you get what I'm trying to say. I can keep going, but you either get my point or you're "one of those". But come and tell me you didn't enjoy giving that jab. Why else would you do it?

(Edited for the Nth time because english is my secondary)

Edited 13 times, last by Preacher ().

• The question remains though, Why some guitarist are against effects? I still run across guitarists today in this forum who frown upon using effects. I've also heard the recommendation to get a good sound before you apply effects. Since "good sound/tone" is subjective, I think you can start with a poor sound and build it to a good sound using effects. Maybe, that's not conventional but I seem to hear every dry profile as a poor sound, and I am finding some guitarist who I thought played dry to actually have a lot of post processing before it's gets to the record.

I guess I am trying to be convinced to be "effect-less" if that's even possible without sounding like a record from the 1950's.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• The question remains though, Why some guitarist are against effects? I still run across guitarists today in this forum who frown upon using effects. I've also heard the recommendation to get a good sound before you apply effects. Since "good sound/tone" is subjective, I think you can start with a poor sound and build it to a good sound using effects. Maybe, that's not conventional but I seem to hear every dry profile as a poor sound, and I am finding some guitarist who I thought played dry to actually have a lot of post processing before it's gets to the record.

I guess I am trying to be convinced to be "effect-less" if that's even possible without sounding like a record from the 1950's.

To me, it just comes down to what you are trying to do with the music you are playing or creating. If what you are trying to do is be the next it guy, or find some kinda sound that propels you to stardom, maybe the no effects guys are onto something. The next Hendrix or whatever probably won't be a P&W player.

I personally don't have any ambitions as a musician, I just like to try to make stuff. You could think of it like children just drawing. I'm just having fun doing it and so my focus is less on the be-all-you-can-be guitar techniques and more about textures and soundscaping. From my angle, effects just make sense. And then there's maybe a discussion out there about what constitutes good music, what's real vs. fake, and all that stuff. I'm not denying people that can take a dry guitar and make it sound heavenly arent't beacons to be inspired by, I'm just saying that's like one avenue of musicianship, and that not everybody has to be that. Music doesn't only belong to the best of us, and "best" is subjective anyhow. The ones that have their heart set on "being that" probably will identify with the kind of guitar player they are, and then I guess it's just a typically human thing to like... bolster your ego, tell yourself you're on the right path, etc. So it creates these players that worship the art of guitar playing that just think anyone that's not on that pursuit are somehow misguided or whatever. That's my real take on it, anyway. And to me it's silly but to them it's not. And not to get too meta, but that's just me doing what they're doing in a different way. Who's to say who's right but I feel the way I feel and they feel they way they feel I guess :P