1st rehearsal with the Kemper

• Hey Guys,

Powered Kemper Rack into a Marshall 1936V - (2 x 12 V30).

2 Guitars, bass and drums.

So last night I had my first rehearsal.

I spent 3 weeks tweaking.

Well it did go better than I thought.

Getting the volume right was the 1st issue.

First the good.

I got the Clean right the first go and it did sound pretty good.

But we play heavy Classic Rock.

So it took me some time to settle in and find my voice.

I felt like my heavy rhythm was a but lost in the room.

I didn't have much time to play around with knobs.

I boosted my solo patch so I could hear myself.

Now to the not so good.

I couldn't hear pick my scape, so I need to EQ some more.

Sustain was not that great, yes I use a compressor.

So also thought I might have has too much bass, which was fighting with the bass player.

I also heard a low feedback on my boosted solos.

What frequencies would push my sound into more of a guitar sound?

I also think it's hard (tweaking) dealing with sound at low volumes, then when you turn up it sounds different.

Plus for the Amps I set the EQ at 0 and used an EQ block with a HPF and LPS.

I was using 80hz and 7500kz for these.

But why set the LPF at 7500hz, when my speaker can only do 5000hz?

I will now zero the EQ in the effects block and play around the the amps EQ.

Any help in fine tuning would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

• In the output section there are Low Cut and High Cut filters you can set, they affect all outputs. Rather than eq blocks on each profile you could tweak the Monitor Output 4 band eq to taste in each environment you are in, it will only affect the monitor out to your 212 cabinet and not main outputs to front of house.

I might not be that adventurous or maybe a little lazy but I try different profiles (dry, no effects) until I find one that sounds good through my setup and very seldom touch the eq section of the profile, if I do it's very small adjustments, then add effects back in to taste. If its good at the start you have a foundation to build on, if it takes a lot of tweaking and still isn't cutting it skip that profile and move on, there are to many decent ones out there to choose from.

• Couple of random thoughts:

• You shouldn't need to cut low and high if you're running the Kemper into a guitar cab. Guitar speakers already have natural low and high cut. This is really only relevant for going straight into a PA or an FRFR.
    • Why keep the tone of the amp flat? This is some weird advice I keep seeing on this forum that makes no sense to me. Don't be afraid to adjust it. It wouldn't be there if it wasn't meant to be used. ?
  • Here is where I see my problem.

I sold my amp, so I have no reference amp.

So I download a profile and hope it's right for me.

Some are dark and some are bright, some are flat, you get the idea.

So you have to tweak, but want are you going to tweak? The EQ right!

How can you match or tweak anything, if you have no real starting point or goal.

I want to achieve the same EQ response as the real amp, for the profile I'm using.

I really wanted a Marshall JVM410hJS played with a Strat played on crunch Red, so I bought some profiles.

They sound nothing like what I had, they sounded thin and sterile, no matter how much I tweaked.

So I might have to borrow my friends amp and profile it.

He has a Victory V30 MK11, which sounds like a Marshall to me.

Then I can match it up to sound exactly the way I play it.

I also want to record it with my RTA to see what the frequencies are doing.

Then when I try a new profile, I know what frequencies to adjust.

Am I missing something, with this?

I mean get the attraction, you have an expensive amp, so you profile it and keep it safe.

You then tweak it against the real thing, save it and off you go.

But for the many of us who have no idea what it's suppose to sound like.

We will tweak this profile aimlessly or until it sounds good to our ears.

Wouldn't life be much easier, if when making the profile, they made a RTA snapshot showing the real amps eq response.

So when we try the Amp, we can get close the real amps EQ.

Cheers.

• I just trust my ears and EQ the what sounds I like. I don't care too much about to how it sounds compared to the real amp because there are just too many variables. My starting point, as you say, is how it sounds right there to my ears. With all due respect, it seems like you're overcomplicating it. Turn it on. Pick a profile that sounds good to you. EQ it more to taste, add boosts, effects, etc. If it sounds good, it sounds good.

• I find myself starting with a good profile I like or profile set and then tweak it with the effects on the Kemper pre and post. I have tons of profiles and keep trying more but I keep going back to my tweaked favorites. I mainly use the Michael Brit Dumble pack profiles. I generally will take them and add boosts, drives or EQ pedal in front of or after the amp/cab block. I play things from Zep and VH to Tool and AIC. I have been able to get good tones that I can make do what ever I want it to do. I tend to avoid turning the bass, mid and treble knobs since they wont react exactly like the amp would have. If I dont like the tone when I first listen to the profile I move on to a different one. No point in tweaking a profile that you dont like from the start.

If you use an EQ pedal to boost the frequencies to cut through it will have a more predictable reaction then changing the amp tone stack. Combining the morph feature with boosted and EQs will go a LONG way towards getting a tone you want that is heard in the mix.

• Might have been mentioned already but I don't see it: Tweak at as close to correct volume as possible. The sound you dial in at low volume before the rehearsal is very unlikely to be useful at full volume.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• It would help if you explained how the profiles you are using dont sound like your amp. And explain what you want them to sound like.

The Kemper is the most powerful tool ever made for creating tone. You can take almost any profile and modify it to the point it sounds like something completely different. I just spent a day tweaking a Bognar high gain amp profile for metal, then I changed the AMP MIX value to include a lot of the clean guitar signal and now it sounds like the most up front and present blues tone I have ever heard.

Many profiles are setup for a specific scenario like playing thru a 4x12 cab or FRFR. I play thru studio monitors so most sound dark to me. So my process is:
    - Set the AMP EQ to get close.

- If the sound is too woofy/loose adjust the AMP DEFINITION higher until the low end booms clean up.
    - If it still sounds dark and like its being played thru a tunnel/tube turn down the CABINET CHARACTER. Sometimes up helps also.

- If too bright add some PURE CABINET.

- If it still sounds like a dark tunnel its time to swap out the cabinet (Rig Manager usually). Start all over.
    - Adding an EQ as the first pedal lets you tweak your pickups, decrease noise(Hi cut 2500), and select which sounds get the most gain. Setting the low cut to 80-100 will stop the low end muddiness and boom also.
    - Adding a TREBLE BOOSTER right after the AMP will smooth things out. Tone:1.0-2.5 Mix: 10-30% brings the guitar more up front and controlled. May lose high gain low end thump and need more bass after adding.
    - If it still sounds dead you will want a STUDIO EQ after the Booster with Low:200(+3) Mid 1:500(-2) Mid 2:1200(+3) High:2500(to taste)
    - Some profiles feel too compressed to me like there is not enough volume change so adding some AMP CLARITY helps.
    - If it sounds good but a little thin in the low mids adding some clean signal from AMP MIX can thicken things up. Adds back some liveliness also. Really helps death metal and breakup tones. You may want to back off some AMP GAIN and add a pedal so you dont have a pure clean signal being mixed. OC or Treble Booster works good usually.
    - Sometimes I tweak the CAB Low/Hi settings if needed. Usually HIGH: .1-.3 LOW: -1.5 Seems to get a 4x12 sound from a 1x12 profile.

With these adjustments you can get pretty much anywhere you want with a profile.

• I have been able to get good tones that I can make do what ever I want it to do. I tend to avoid turning the bass, mid and treble knobs since they wont react exactly like the amp would have. If I dont like the tone when I first listen to the profile I move on to a different one. No point in tweaking a profile that you dont like from the start.

Yeah, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Yeah, if the rig immediately sounds bad, then it's probably not a good rig, or not a speaker or mic combo that I like. But what does it matter if the EQ doesn't respond exactly like the amp would? If I just need a little less mids and a little more high end, why wouldn't I adjust the EQ accordingly, instead of looking for the perfect rig (doesn't exist) or adding an additional EQ block. The settings on the reverb block that imitates a Strymon Big Sky don't react like a real Big Sky. The drive knob on the Green Scream doesn't react just like the drive knob on one of the 8000 Tube Screamers out there. But they generally do their job and sound good if you tweak them to your liking.

Again, this isn't a personal attack against you, so sorry if it comes off this way. I just think this is weirdly bad advice.

• what does it matter if the EQ doesn't respond exactly like the amp would? If I just need a little less mids and a little more high end, why wouldn't I adjust the EQ accordingly,

Again, this isn't a personal attack against you, so sorry if it comes off this way. I just think this is weirdly bad advice.

I put it out that way because he is coming from the world of a tube amps and has specifically mentioned two amps, JVM 410 and a Victory V30 MK11. That small amount of knowledge will help prevent the moments of frustration when attempting to make comparisons between the real thing and a profile. I too have profiles of my real tube amps that stay at home and find it much more intuitive to match tones I am attempting to match with boosts or EQ. While adjusting the amp block EQ to taste will get you to where you want to be but can be the source of frustration when turning up the mids doesn't react the same way when you are trying to match tones post refinement. One of his issues was being heard and cutting through the mix and using an EQ or boost will make the process a bit simpler on the spot to tweak, especially if you have a laptop there. There are alway more then one way to do thing and this is what has worked for me and might be a good option for Gezza as well.

• Hey Guys,

Yes, I sold my tube amp ( Mesa Boogie MKV25) to buy the Kemper.

So I have a sound that I am trying to get the Kemper to reproduce.

Classic Rock Marshall crunch.

I thought it better to stick to Marshall Profiles. As I have played Marshalls for years.

But there are just so many variables.

Yes I turned off the Cab button, :).

I have watched a lot of youtube tutorials, which do help a bit.

I'm just hearing some unwanted frequencies that shouldn't be there.

But I find difficult to pin point which frequencies are causing the issue.

Which is why I have an EQ in the X slot to take or add the missing frequncies.

So yesterday I profiled my backup amp - Laney Ironheart Studio 15 watt.

Hopefully this will help me get my head around, making a profile and then tweaking a profile.

It turned out pretty good.

Thanks for everyones help and input.

I just need to find my voice with the Kemper.

Cheers.

Gezza.

• I'm just hearing some unwanted frequencies that shouldn't be there.

Gezza, if those freqs are coming from the cabinet IR, you will want to reduce the CAB CHARACTER to clear them up. Once the cab IR colors your sound with those freqs, they are not real easy to get rid of. It is best to get rid of them in the cab ir BEFORE they get applied to your waveform.

Reducing the CHARACTER will balance out the freqs to become a flatter/even response. Which can sound almost like a DI. Usually something like -3 to -4 is where I settle. This tends to make the sound a little bright. So post EQ may be needed to tone down that. I also play with the PURE CABINET setting, to see if can settle them down without getting too muddy.

I agree it is hard to understand what is going on usually. Your guitar has a freq response. Then the amp has peaks at each filter. Then the mic that was used has peaks and dips. And you have to sit and guess what freqs are not playing well together.

THE HUNT

One trick is to use the STUDIO EQ and set the gain high and the Q to like 1 or so. Then tweak the freq until you hear the sound that is bugging you. Then reduce the gain until it goes away. May be able to increase the Q (decrease the filter width) to not impact the frequencies around the problem freq. Or we could get a 32 band EQ on the Kemper :)

• Have you tried the "MW - Rand L. Bogus" profile frome the Michael Wagener rig pack?

Fantastic Marshall crunch sound!

A friend of mine, professional guitarist who also builds his own pedals, bought the Kemper and immediately used it to record an album after he borrowed my Kemper and found that sound.

• Hey Guys,

I thought I would post an update.

I have made several profiles of my laney Ironheart 15w Studio.

I now see all the potential variables that can occur.

Move the Mic to left or the right, have it too close or not close enough.

I also ran into clipping issues on the output, not sure why.

Back to my problem.

I am down to 2 profiles, Marshall and the Laney one I made.

I tweak the laney so it sounds great, I then go the Marshall and it sounds way better.

But the Marshall profile, sounds a bit bright.

I go back to laney and now sounds like I have a blanket on my speaker.

It's driving me crazy.

So I leave it for day and start the same ritual.

Any help with this?