Kemper Power Amp sound different???

• Hi,

New Kemper owner here. I bought a Powered Toaster two weeks ago - open box but full retail price - totally dig it. While I was looking I also noticed Sweetwater had an open box, but for less than regular retail price. Since I could return the one I got a couple days before, I bought the one from sweetwater too. Now I have two Kempers! Shootout!

My wife is very forgiving, but not THAT forgiving, so one of them has to go. I was fully planning on returning the more expensive one, until today when the SW one arrived. Before I returned it, I wanted to do a couple A/B tests. It seems to my ears that this new one is "quieter" and less lively than the one I bought two weeks ago.

Both are updated to the current software, both played the same stock profiles, at the same volume, on the same guitar...and yet it really seemed like the "older" one had more dynamic sound, or character. As far as I know they are both newer models. It doesn't really make sense to me as its a digital platform and I figure all Kempers sound the same, but I have to ask if anyone else has ever run into this? Do you think there's variance between models of the same amp? Is the newer one just a lemon? Or did my first get tweaked (in a good way) since it was open box and out at a guitar store for people to play? I've look at output settings and everything else I can think of and they appear to be setup the exact same way.

Would love to hear thoughts and opinions of experienced Kemper owners. Thanks!