Mysterious behavior in Dual Delay ("Stereo" parameter implicated).

• Hello!

Yesterday I got a second Headrush 108.

So I connected the two of them in stereo.

Then I added the Dual Delay to the profile I was using.

I noticed the repeats sound different in each amp.

I thought it was because one 108 was new.

But then I found that with the Stereo parameter I can send each delay to the other side (from +100 to -100). The result is the sound of the repeats is still different but they have interchanged their positions.

I couldn't make they sound the same and it's very strange to me.

Have you experienced a similar behavior?

Any help on how to make both sides sound the same?

Thanks!

• How are they different?

Is one darker than the other? Do you have Low and/or High Cut happening? If subsequent repeats go to alternate side this could make them sound different.

Is one darker than the other? Do you have Low and/or High Cut happening? If subsequent repeats go to alternate side this could make them sound different.

Oh! That makes sense!

Yes, one is darker.

It could be just that.

Sometimes I make things more complicated than they are. I was probably assuming that, having two separated delays, each one would have its own... way and it's own degradation.

So what you say is probably the answer to the mystery.

I can't try it until Friday. I'll tell you as soon as I do.

Thank you very much.

• I have not played with it but can venture a guess:

- If using modulation, one echo may be colored before the other echo.

- The Kemper may be altering the frequency response of L/R to create more of a STEREO feel.

It looks like low and high cut didn't "solve" it. The first repetition is more... brilliant than the note I actually play.

Well, there is a lot of other delays to choose.

Thank you!

• I have not played with it but can venture a guess:

- If using modulation, one echo may be colored before the other echo.

- The Kemper may be altering the frequency response of L/R to create more of a STEREO feel.

No modulation at all.

But your second guess could be right: It could be the Kemper altering the frequency response.

I'll keep trying. Just for fun; We all know there are many other options.

Thank you!

• The Left and Right channel will sound different when using stereo. The Left has more top end (bright) and the Right has more low end (dark). Use some studio headphones playing a stereo track in DAW and pan the L and R channels across themselves and you can easily hear the difference. If you want the Left and Right channels to sound the same then you send out dual mono.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• The Left and Right channel will sound different when using stereo. The Left has more top end (bright) and the Right has more low end (dark). Use some studio headphones playing a stereo track in DAW and pan the L and R channels across themselves and you can easily hear the difference. If you want the Left and Right channels to sound the same then you send out dual mono.

Well, that's exactly what's going on (I can interchange the Left and Right positions with the Stereo parameter). Why does it happen? Why do they sound different? (Just curious).

If I go mono I will lose the stereo image, isn't it?

(By the way, I cannot find the Dual Mono option in the manual nor in the Kemper itself. Is it just "mono"?)

Thank you very much!

• It's happening because it's "stereo". If the sounds were exactly the same then your brain would perceive it as a mono signal (more or less). IRL, we hear "stereo" because one ear hears a different sound than the other from the same source (and one ear hears it faster than the other depending on it's position to you). Study how you hear a bird chirping outside. The bird chirps in mono, but the mono signal bounces off trees, houses, atmosphere, etc. (you call this reverb) and reaches each ear at different times and with a different sound due to the surroundings.

The Kemper stereo output is "Simulated Stereo" and just tries to mimic natural stereo -- your brain knows this. One side has a higher pitch (more top end) and the other side has a lower pitch + delay (more low end).

I am no audiophile in the least but this is how it was explained to me.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Ok. I got it. Very interesting.

When I use a ping pong delay, or a tremolo in stereo, the sounds are the same in both sides, but they sound in different moments. I perceive it as stereo, but I understand what you say.

Kemper is... cheating us. :)

It makes my think about the Holophonics. I had some sounds archives somewhere. I guess you know about them. If you don't, you can find a lot in the web. It was absolutely incredible hearing those sounds coming from any possible position (L/R/up/down/front/back) and distance in the sound field using just regular headphones and stereo player (and any kind of stereo sound archive).

• It makes my think about the Holophonics. I had some sounds archives somewhere. I guess you know about them. If you don't, you can find a lot in the web. It was absolutely incredible hearing those sounds coming from any possible position (L/R/up/down/front/back) and distance in the sound field using just regular headphones and stereo player (and any kind of stereo sound archive).

I rember that stuff. I bought an album in the ‘80’s to hear it. Lay on the floor, with the lights out and headphones on and was realistically attacked by an Alsatian. It was ripping at my face and neck and running around me. Damn that was some scary audio trickery.