Pitch-shift Bad Latency.

• Hey dudes!

So i just recently started a project where i need to down-tune but was not really into the whole idea of getting my guitar set up for just this one project so the use of a pitchshifter in the kemper seemed more practical and easier. I've noticed there is a naughty latency when trying to track that is rather distracting. Am i doing something wrong or is it normal this is happening? when i turn the pitch-shift off the latency is gone and all is normal until i turn it back on and it happens again...its like a fraction of a second but its certainly enough to throw me right off when attempting to track to a click. My kemper goes direct into my monitors so there is zero latency. Is it just what naturally happens when pitch-shifting? :/ any advice is always much appreciated.

Rock on! \m/

• It´s normal .... The Kemper needs a reference tone (Hz) to know what to pitch. That takes a few milliseconds.

If possible, track in normal mode and then "re-amp" with pitch, then move that tracks timeline a few millisec in the DAW or what you use.

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• Great suggestion.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I have the same problem with OP. The pick attack doesn't sound natural when I use Kemper's transpose function with heavy distortion. It's like it doesn't fully capture the initial attack. It's noticeable even in -1 or -2.

I wonder if dedicated down tune pedal (like the Digitech Drop) work better or do they have the same issue?

• I have the same problem with OP. The pick attack doesn't sound natural when I use Kemper's transpose function with heavy distortion. It's like it doesn't fully capture the initial attack. It's noticeable even in -1 or -2.

I wonder if dedicated down tune pedal (like the Digitech Drop) work better or do they have the same issue?

I’ve heard that Digitech Drop have same issue

• I've noticed this issue too with Kemper. It's a shame too as the tone is excellent. I was hoping it would replace my POG which also has excellent tone and no discernible latency, but the latency on the Kemper means it's just not quite as good.

One thing I really notice is that when you have to change to a rig quickly mid-song where you have it set up to be pitch-shifted, the latency is super-pronounced for the first few notes and then reigns in after to a workable amount. Not ideal live...

• I say the first suggestion is still the best. Record in standard tuning and use your DAWs internal algorithms to detune afterwards. Those algorithms are offline and far better than the Kemper.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I can't imagine how you would track without the pitch shifting then apply it later. The music that you're recording with is in the shifted key, unless you're first.

Still way less mucking around and a way better result actually altering the tuning.

• I can't imagine how you would track without the pitch shifting then apply it later. The music that you're recording with is in the shifted key, unless you're first.

Still way less mucking around and a way better result actually altering the tuning.

No problem if you know your song ....

Just mute every channel except drums / klick track , or lay down the "unpitched" guitar first :thumbup:

And yes, much easier to retune you guitar :P

There´s no rules how to make music. The only thing holding you back is your imagination ......... ( and some money :pinch: )

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

Edited once, last by Hoki Toki ().

I agree. Unless you use a floating trem. Then it's hell :)

• If you are using this for a recording, IMHO, you will never get a more accurate sound than an actual detuned guitar. I used to carry 5 guitars to gigs for one band I was in. There were different pickup configurations, single coil and humbucker, in two different tunings and a 5th guitar in yet another tuning. I did that for live gigs. I wouldn't compromise for recording. You have time to detune the guitar. I was doing guitar swaps at gigs to make this happen. The digital drop tuning solutions back then were not good enough to use for this.

• Is there any pedal out there that is significantly better than the Kemper for this type of digital capo trickery? There are a couple of songs I sing live that I need to capo up 2 to 3 half steps but I’m also doing a lot of string bending,whammy bar and horizontal lead playing (Hendrix songs) so I don’t like to capo for obvious reasons with this type of playing. The kpa transpose function works pretty well and the latency doesn’t throw me off much but if I could find a pedal that had a significantly better outcome I wouldn’t mind dropping 300 bucks or so on it.

• I'm not a metal player but my baritone has become a very close second to my favourite guitar.

I'll frequently record with it, if only to double track or follow existing parts. I can't think of many better purchases and it would see you through something like this with ease.

• Is there any pedal out there that is significantly better than the Kemper for this type of digital capo trickery? There are a couple of songs I sing live that I need to capo up 2 to 3 half steps but I’m also doing a lot of string bending,whammy bar and horizontal lead playing (Hendrix songs) so I don’t like to capo for obvious reasons with this type of playing. The kpa transpose function works pretty well and the latency doesn’t throw me off much but if I could find a pedal that had a significantly better outcome I wouldn’t mind dropping 300 bucks or so on it.

This? 4 or 5 minutes in he demonstrates some basic detuning. I think it sounds pretty responsive.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Digitech Whammy (Drop & original) have a slight edge over the Kemper on latency and accuracy. It's marginal but enough to make it worth carrying extra outboard gear. If you get a Whammy DT, you can also midi control it from the Kemper.

Not that I am aware of. I have a Digitech Whammy DT but find it at best no better thean the KPA and at worst not as good. In a side by side test I find the KPA more neutral sounding. The Digitech does something to the sound which colours it compared to the original. Many people like this though so you need to try for yourself.