Man I was stupid ... lead boost content

• SO I always struggled to get my lead sound to be audible.

I tried boosts, raising amp volume, and cut the mix EQ presets.

Yesterday I spent some time looking for a solution and I noticed I always placed the boost in front of the amp section

No I put it after (lead or pure boost) and bam, I finally increased the levels without the need of anything else ...

Damn I feel so stupid not knowing that these boosts should be in the post amp sections ...

btw whats the difference between the pure and lead booster ?

Thanks

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

Edited once, last by Roeffel ().

• I did this, but probably due to the fact that I increased the gain level by boosting before the amp I somehow flattened the curve ?

No idea, by removing this boost in front of the amp I actually had a much more pleasing result !

Does this make any sense lol

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• Yeah. Boosting before a gainy amp can actually reduce the perceived volume due to added compression that is not compensated for (make up)

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Yeah. Boosting before a gainy amp can actually reduce the perceived volume due to added compression that is not compensated for (make up)

that indeed drove me mad and the reason I felt stupid :) ... thanks for the clarification!

• Don’t feel bad, Mick and Dan on “That Pedal Show” have gone over this very phenomenon more than a few times. Makes a lot of sense once it clicks for you. Then you learn to use a treble boost post-stack, a few EQ tricks, and then we all start clamoring for more slots in the “Effects” section, lol. It’s a good problem to have, right?

• You can also just raise the rig volume.

Just raising the volume of a rig doesn’t always make it poke out of a mix. It can often lack definition. Yes, everything is louder. And that’s the problem…..you get loud…..mud.

The lead booster and methods that do similar things can sound quite awful by themselves.

In a live mix, they can work like a warm knife through butter. Without any actual db increase.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Sage advice.

Treble booster setup:

Tone: 1.0-2.5

Mix: 10%-100% depending on amp gain. 10%-20% for High gain.

This.

My starting point with a new sound is a treble booster in the X slot, tone 2.5, 50% mix, zero volume. It never stays there for long, but you get a real good idea of what needs to happen.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Just raising the volume of a rig doesn’t always make it poke out of a mix. It can often lack definition. Yes, everything is louder. And that’s the problem…..you get loud…..mud.

The lead booster and methods that do similar things can sound quite awful by themselves.

In a live mix, they can work like a warm knife through butter. Without any actual db increase.

i was not saying that you didn’t also had to eq it.

And it also depends the band context.

If you have to play a lead solo in band with keyboards and brass section etc you really have to put Some dbs.

It’s different in a standard 3 or 4 piece rock band

• Probably the best trick to getting a decent tone is to use a LOOPER so you can EQ on the fly while something is playing.

Doing this today I found another way to set the TREBLE BOOSTER(TB). Many times a profile sounds like it is missing some mid to high presence and adding the treble booster seems to fix it. Makes it sound smoother, present, and mix ready. The TB acts like a parametric EQ with some gain to it. So it helps fill in the missing freqs real nice and augments the distortion.

- Set the mix to 50%.

- Set the tone to 0 and slowly raise it until you hear the sound start to sound more present and responsive. Or sounds better to your ear.

- Reduce the mix to reduce the new frequency range you just added and get a better overall balance of tone.

- As usual a little bass boost to bring the bass in to line with the new mid-high boost may be needed.

Some day I wish to achieve a mastery of this insane device like all you Zen masters out there.