So many volume setting choices...

• Hey Folks,

Just wondering what is the optimal volume settings in your kemper? There are so many different places that can affect the volume that I dont know where to start. I have a mission EP that I use as a volume pedal...but what should the internal settings in the Kemper be set to for optimal sound and performance so to speak? Any suggestions?

• Think of it like a real amp. If you adjust the volume in front of the amp it will change the amp’s sound (like a boost pedal “pushing” and amp and adding distortion and possibly tonal characteristics). If you adjust it after than amp it will just make things louder.

Amp volume and Rig volume do exactly the same thing UNLESS there is an effect downstream that is volume sensitive (compressor/overdrive etc but not delay/reverb/modulation). Therefore, I would leave Amp Volume at 0 and use Rig Volume in the vast majority of cases as it is more visible and accessible (you don’t need you to go into the amp block).

Master volume affects everything together so is only relevant for sending the right level to FOH/DAW etc and Monitor volume is only relevant to the monitor output so generally your stage volume. Both of these controls are instant (adjust on the fly to suit circumstances) rather than save and forget as part of a rig.

• Think of it like a real amp. If you adjust the volume in front of the amp it will change the amp’s sound (like a boost pedal “pushing” and amp and adding distortion and possibly tonal characteristics). If you adjust it after than amp it will just make things louder.

Amp volume and Rig volume do exactly the same thing UNLESS there is an effect downstream that is volume sensitive (compressor/overdrive etc but not delay/reverb/modulation). Therefore, I would leave Amp Volume at 0 and use Rig Volume in the vast majority of cases as it is more visible and accessible (you don’t need you to go into the amp block).

Master volume affects everything together so is only relevant for sending the right level to FOH/DAW etc and Monitor volume is only relevant to the monitor output so generally your stage volume. Both of these controls are instant (adjust on the fly to suit circumstances) rather than save and forget as part of a rig.

Great explanation. What throws me off though is the link volume to the main volume options. Also I thought the volume pedal would be adjusting the master volume option on the stage but the light does not indicate that and stayed the same at half way.

• at the moment, I have my stage running into my interface but it seems I'm always fiddling around with the volume to match the volume on my computer if im playing with a backing track on my computer or learning something on youtube

• Great explanation. What throws me off though is the link volume to the main volume options..

The Link is simply a means of deleting which Volume(s) are controlled by the Master Volume knob.

Say you are sending a signal to FOH and want this to stay at a constant level so as not to upset the out front band mix but you want the ability to adjust your personal onstage volume during the gig. You would unlink Main Outs but Link Monitor Out. The Master Volume knob would now only affect the Monitor Out. You can choose various individual things or combinations for it to control.

Also I thought the volume pedal would be adjusting the master volume option on the stage but the light does not indicate that and stayed the same at half way.

The volume pedal isn't controlling the master volume so it won't affect the lights.

• at the moment, I have my stage running into my interface but it seems I'm always fiddling around with the volume to match the volume on my computer if im playing with a backing track on my computer or learning something on youtube

In that situation there are three basic choices.

You could link the Master Volume knob to the Main Outs and have instant access to match the Kemper to the tracks.

You could leave the Kemper set and adjust the input level on the interface.

You could leave the Kemper alone and adjust the playback level of the other sources.

• is it at all possible to link my mission EP to control the main out volume?

Yes. Either chose Wah > Volume in which case it will control Wah IF a wah effect is active. If there is no Wah active it will control Volume instead. In this case

Eave the pedal type set to Wah.

Alternatively, you can change the pedal type to Volume and it will be a volume pedal all the time.

The final step is to decide where in the signal chain you want to place the volume pedal. This can be right at the beginning (input), after Stomps but before Stack, after stack, before Delay/Reverb (in which case ypu can kill the volume of the direct signal but the delay and reverb tails will decay naturally) or right at the end in which case moving the pedal to heel will kill the direct signal and the delay/reverb tails together.

• I believe I have it set as your last example and in the output selection. I didn't have it locked which it defaulted to input which I did not like. I like having the option of cleaning up the signal with my guitar volume and just turning down the entire output with the EP.

• Tried selecting the wah>volume with no luck...must be doing it wrong

• I don't think it will control your main output volume (as in seeing the LEDs change if that's what you are after). But it will change the volume in a similar position signal chain-wise.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• First thing I do is adjust the Amp volume in a rig so it is at the level I want it with rig volume at 12:00. I balance all my performances that way. Normally takes less than 2 numbers either way if profiles were done professionally. Then I use rig volume to morph lead boosts and maybe add a pinch of gain. I like to see that rig volume knob at 12:00 for "normal" and I can quickly set boosts that way with morph.

• First thing I do is adjust the Amp volume in a rig so it is at the level I want it with rig volume at 12:00. I balance all my performances that way. Normally takes less than 2 numbers either way if profiles were done professionally. Then I use rig volume to morph lead boosts and maybe add a pinch of gain. I like to see that rig volume knob at 12:00 for "normal" and I can quickly set boosts that way with morph.

How do you do that first step? Are you using a dB meter or relying on your ears only???

And does adding gain to the profile get you sonically to a higher gain profile from that same pack? How close is it?

• How do you do that first step? Are you using a dB meter or relying on your ears only???

And does adding gain to the profile get you sonically to a higher gain profile from that same pack? How close is it?

I put drums in a track as that gives me a good reference. (I always make the drummer play with me at sound check) Most people will mix their cleans too loud and when they switch to dirty it will be thin and small because they are more compressed. Knowing that, I can tell you cleans set up in your studo for live will have to be much lower than you think they should be. Every time I set up a performance I think is just right, the cleans are too loud live, and the FOH will be right on me. With drums playing, I switch around and use my ears. I found DAW graphics and DB meters ineffective because of tone, EQ etc. pokes through differently. Once I get things super close I bug the FOH and ask "How were my levels when I switch?" and adjust accordingly. Beauty is, once it's set it's SET and I can whistle into a gig and know it's gonna kill.

Sometimes I boost gain with a pedal if I want to do touch harmonics and sometimes I'll just tweek the gain a bit. If I have to too much I'll just switch profiles. I love that when adding a screamer to a distorted Kemper profile can actually can give it a bit of a volume boost unlike tube amps that will just compress it and the perceived volume stat the same. So yes, when I want to keep the tone the same, I'll just boost gain somewhere else instead of switching amps or profiles.