What are the definitive Marshall JCM 800 2203 profiles?

• I'm still searching for authentic profiles that match what I remember about my old 100w 2203 head.

Most of the profiles I'm finding are too metal sounding, and although I used to run the pre-amp at full, there was a separation and clarity in across the strings that just sticks out. I've yet to hear a profile that does that.

So I'm looking for a good set, with plenty of options and range of gain. Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

• Listening in. I wish Pete Thorn would make some profiles as he's really good at dialing it in.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Here are some from Rig exchange that remind me a lot of my old 2204:

AGL SOME MARSHALL

AGL SOME MARSHALL A

AGL SOME MARSHALL B

One thing that helps Marshall Rigs sound more traditional to me is to listen to them loud enough to be able to feel playing dynamics. If I listen at too low of a volume, the amp's gain can seem too high, because the guitar dynamics feel more compressed to me.

• That's such a good point and in my auditioning of some profiles today, I've found that is true to some degree. I've had to raise the rig volume on almost all of them and they almost always sound better. Thank you, I'll check those out!

• Best JCM 800 sounds I've found (from clean to driven, great for rock) are from Live Ready Sound's "father of the 800" pack - it's a JMP, but essentially the same amp. M Britt's one's don't work for me at all, though lots of people seem to like them. Maybe they work better with single coils and for the lighter side of rock. TMS profiles are also worth a look, and M Fig too, tho these also don't quite suit my particular pickups.

• Bought blittles JCM800 pack last night on sale for$7.50. Hadn't heard of him before but demo's sounded good so took a chance. Blown away, up there with the very best Marshall tones I've ever had from the kemper.

• Bought blittles JCM800 pack last night on sale for$7.50. Hadn't heard of him before but demo's sounded good so took a chance. Blown away, up there with the very best Marshall tones I've ever had from the kemper.

Edited: The sounds are great, but the mic's used are a 57 and 421 mix, which I've always found to be a bit brash sounding and prefer to mix in a Royer 121 to mellow things out a little.

Edited 2 times, last by jonathanthomas83: Spoken to Brian and he's been an absolute gentleman. ().

• Disappointed. The sounds are okay, but the mic's used are a 57 and 421 mix, which I've always found to be a bit brash sounding. It does frustrate me when information like this isn't available until after you've bought the pack. Laziness on the web admin side of things, which is a shame.

Sorry they didn't hit for you the same way mate. Guess it's just down to personal preference for each of us. My main thing with any base profile is a clarity n presence from the off then I feel I have a solid base to work from. I find with a lot of profiles I need to tinker quite a bit with the low n high cut on the cab distortion sense and definition etc, to get to where I want, get rid of some wooly ness or "remove the blanket" as some describe it. It's what works to my ears with my guitars. With these I will still go in and refine a little for preference and for a mix but the base tone was pretty close from the off for me on a surprising number from this pack. As I say no right or wrong just different flavours for different folks.

• Sorry they didn't hit for you the same way mate. Guess it's just down to personal preference for each of us. My main thing with any base profile is a clarity n presence from the off then I feel I have a solid base to work from. I find with a lot of profiles I need to tinker quite a bit with the low n high cut on the cab distortion sense and definition etc, to get to where I want, get rid of some wooly ness or "remove the blanket" as some describe it. It's what works to my ears with my guitars. With these I will still go in and refine a little for preference and for a mix but the base tone was pretty close from the off for me on a surprising number from this pack. As I say no right or wrong just different flavours for different folks.

Sorry man, I am very grateful for the recommendation and I can definitely see why you recommended them, they sound great, just unfortunate that it's not the kind of tone I'm used to with regards to the euipment used. That post was more a plea for profilers to be more detailed on their websites and for sale pages. :)

You're absolutely right that I can try a bit of tweaking, which I will :) Thanks again

• Yesterday I was going over some profiles to see if I'd find something "better" than the friedman BE50's from Mbritt ...

I bought some bungenstock ones on black friday ... friedman,soldano and the YM marshall ...

Man those malmsteen ones are now my favourite "high" gain sounds ... did play with class D amp and normal guitarcab, so no IR's

Check this pack out, it's great !

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• I've always enjoyed any of Top Jimi's Marshall tones. Also, check out David G Burns in Rig Exchange. I love his "old marshall" profiles. Excellent, especially for free.

Trey

• I've always enjoyed any of Top Jimi's Marshall tones. Also, check out David G Burns in Rig Exchange. I love his "old marshall" profiles. Excellent, especially for free.

Trey

I find it simply excellent :). Nothing better out there. Free or commercial.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM