Hi can the kemper convert guitar to midi ?

• it is best to have both, one cannot replace the other.
    the voicings used on each instrument make that obvious: on keys it's often an octave in the bass and the upper chord is structured in thirds (good luck fretting that on a guitar), while chords on a guitar (in standard tuning) rely mostly on fourths and fifths (the g-b pair of strings being the exception).
    This is partially why piano played on guitar and guitar played on a keyboard will always sound off.
    The interface influences the outcome quite audibly.

I guess it depends what you want the midi interface for though.If its for live work to replace a layered keyboard then that would be difficult but for single note stuff and simple one position chord work it should be fine.

• This is partially why piano played on guitar and guitar played on a keyboard will always sound off.
    The interface influences the outcome quite audibly.

I think we are answering slightly different questions Don. I didn't see anything specifically about playing piano parts on guitar, only pitch to mid conversion which could be used for many purposes. This could be playing midi synths in as a unique way ala Metheny. But it could also include notating your actual guitar parts without the need to manually key in all the notes. This typically would still need some manual clean up (a bit like using speech to text dictation software such a Dragon) but could still be much faster than typing in notes of frets in something like Guitar Pro. I don't think there is any doubt that the interface influences the outcome. I had an Ibanez IMG-2010 X-ING midi guitar back in the late 80's or early 90's and at that time I thought it would let me sound like a pianist and a trumpeter and a saxophonist etc. Needless to say I was very disappointed. However, if I had approached it in a different way I might have managed to get some great use out of it.

• I think we are answering slightly different questions Don. I didn't see anything specifically about playing piano parts on guitar, only pitch to mid conversion which could be used for many purposes. This could be playing midi synths in as a unique way ala Metheny. But it could also include notating your actual guitar parts without the need to manually key in all the notes. This typically would still need some manual clean up (a bit like using speech to text dictation software such a Dragon) but could still be much faster than typing in notes of frets in something like Guitar Pro. I don't think there is any doubt that the interface influences the outcome. I had an Ibanez IMG-2010 X-ING midi guitar back in the late 80's or early 90's and at that time I thought it would let me sound like a pianist and a trumpeter and a saxophonist etc. Needless to say I was very disappointed. However, if I had approached it in a different way I might have managed to get some great use out of it.

That got me thinking of this video I saw a few years ago :)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Casio MIDI guitar MG-510 Ca. 1987 - 1988

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

Edited once, last by Hoki Toki ().

• Kieth McMillen Instruments has a fret wired neck system called Stringport 2. They have some demo videos out. I have been waiting for it to become available but they haven’t gotten the funding they need yet.

Check out the videos on the KMI site. You will be impressed.