Best Audio Interface For around the $1000 level - with SPDIF???

• ok things are moving quick and I must make decision very soon, could use some expert advice.

I have pulled the trigger on a newer Windows i9 intel desktop that should last me the next 10 years (or whatever) but with this I am going to go with the latest PT software/perpetual license and with that I need to pick an audio interface and there are a lot of choices.

Having the DIGI 002 for so long I have been accustomed to having MIDI I/O and all that it offers on the back regarding Inputs and Outputs, some of these newer interfaces lack MIDI I/O, even in the $1000 range, maybe I'm missing something and MIDI is on USB??? IDK??? lol

[Blocked Image: https://duc.avid.com/images/smilies/smile.gif] The Sweetwater guy that is helping me gave me a few good options but the main thing I need is SPDIF IN/OUT for my Kemper (direct recording and reamping).

For around the $1000 level are any of these good choices????

Sound Devices USBPre 2 USB Audio Interface
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...did=3341929001

Focusrite Clarett+ 8Pre USB-C Audio Interface
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...udio-interface

MOTU 828es 28x32 Thunderbolt / USB 2.0 Audio Interface
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...udio-interface

• I think you don't need that many MIC pre-amps when working with digital equipment.

The mic pre-amps only make the interface expensive.

It is therefore always better to work with good external preamps.
    Really good preamps (Neve 1073 or 5211) are in a different price range anyway.

So my suggestion:

- Focusrite Clarett + 4Pre

- Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 3rd generation

Please also think about the driver support, some manufacturers have only supported their devices for a few years.

I had this bad experience with a Tascam interface, after two years the driver support was discontinued.

Be the force with you ;)

• Hi Yoda...
    The good folks at Sweetwater after much debate steered me towards the Sound Devices USBPre 2 USB Audio Interface https://www.sweetwater.com/sto…2--sound-devices-usbpre-2

We compared it with all the Focusrite and MOTU gear at this price point and they said this has the best convertors in the class.
    I need SPDIF which narrows the choices dramatically out there.
    That said, I ordered and will try it and hope for the best until I an afford a Neve.

• The good folks at Sweetwater after much debate steered me towards the Sound Devices USBPre 2

Wow, ok. An audio interface that is 10+ years old, doesn't have a zero latency DSP mixer software, didn't even come with an ASIO driver until a 3rd party company took care of this and the last firmware update has seen the light of day over 10 years ago. :D

They must have been happy to sell this, finally. Who knows how long this has been laying in their shelf. :D

I'm not sure I would ever talk again with these "good folks at Sweetwater", haha.

My suggestion would have been to save just a little more and get an RME UCX II which has the best drivers (and software) by far, a lot more I/O, awesome converters and 2 really good mic preamps. This kind of audio interface blows your (current) choice away in every single regard.

• I have been browsing interfaces as well. I think I am going to have to upgrade in the near future. I have been interested in the MOTU Mk5 but you can't get them anywhere right now. Thankfully I am not in a must buy it now situation. It looks like it may become available around February. I have been looking at some of the other MOTU stuff as well since I can't get the Mk5. I need it to be compatible with Windows and Mac. I am using a Mac right now for recording but want the option to move to Windows in the future. The computers a lot cheaper.

• Wow, ok. An audio interface that is 10+ years old, doesn't have a zero latency DSP mixer software, didn't even come with an ASIO driver until a 3rd party company took care of this and the last firmware update has seen the light of day over 10 years ago. :D

They must have been happy to sell this, finally. Who knows how long this has been laying in their shelf. :D

I'm not sure I would ever talk again with these "good folks at Sweetwater", haha.

My suggestion would have been to save just a little more and get an RME UCX II which has the best drivers (and software) by far, a lot more I/O, awesome converters and 2 really good mic preamps. This kind of audio interface blows your (current) choice away in every single regard.

Wait, what???? 10 years old? The sales rep sent me this link which tried to narrow down the choices of interfaces with SPDIF. The $1000 range is what I was spending time on, they said this Sound Devices USBPre 2 was a better choice than the focusrite and MOTO in it's class.

Here are the interfaces with SPDIF:

https://www.sweetwater.com/c69…91dHB1dHMiOlsiQ29heCJdfX0

Edited once, last by halipino ().

• In what exactly ... and over which devices mentioned so far?

Reliability, ease of use, UI software, design functionality, control layout, LED metering, sound quality, rackmount. It covers everything I would want in a high end interface. It even looks like it's worth $1000. Just the number of complaints on the Focusrite UI software is enough for me to drop it from the list. The Sound Devices Interface looks like someone's bench project thrown together without any thought on ease of use or UI.

And I have the Motu M4 which sounds perfect and is so damn simple to use I forget it's even hooked up. Set it and forget it.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Reliability, ease of use, UI software, design functionality, control layout, LED metering, sound quality, rackmount. It covers everything I would want in a high end interface. It even looks like it's worth $1000. Just the number of complaints on the Focusrite UI software is enough for me to drop it from the list. The Sound Devices Interface looks like someone's bench project thrown together without any thought on ease of use or UI.

And I have the Motu M4 which sounds perfect and is so damn simple to use I forget it's even hooked up. Set it and forget it.

MOTO has so many choices of interfaces for around $1000 it's confusing.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/c682--MOTU--Audio_Interfaces
    I filtered the search to " price High to Low

• Wait, what???? 10 years old?

Yup, released in 2011

he sales rep sent me this link ... they said this Sound Devices USBPre 2 was a better choice than the focusrite and MOTO in it's class.

The link doen't list my suggestion which is also available at Sweetwater and has coax S/PDIF among a truckload other features wayyyy beyond the scope of the aged Sound Devices thing.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sto…-40-channel-usb-interface

Can you imagine an audio interface with a couple of inputs but only allows to use 2 of them at a time? That's what you're about to get. Old and severely outdated technology. Sorry to say but you rather know it now, while you still can return it. This interface is incredibly limited in terms of quality and feature set. I guarantee that you'll struggle with it in no time.

• Yup, released in 2011

The link doen't list my suggestion which is also available at Sweetwater and has coax S/PDIF among a truckload other features wayyyy beyond the scope of the aged Sound Devices thing.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sto…-40-channel-usb-interface

Can you imagine an audio interface with a couple of inputs but only allows to use 2 of them at a time? That's what you're about to get. Old and severely outdated technology. Sorry to say but you rather know it now, while you still can return it. This interface is incredibly limited in terms of quality and feature set. I guarantee that you'll struggle with it in no time.

Yes, something was gnawing at me in the middle of the night, buyers remorse but I am really happy you have imparted your wisdom in the matter. The order has been cancelled and now I am watching RME Fireface UCX II videos

• ... I am watching RME Fireface UCX II videos

Great! Also watch some videos about the TotalMix FX software that controls RME devices. It's a powerhouse to say the least. :)

External Content youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Quick question: Mac or Windows? Don't worry, doesn't matter much, just want to know. :)

• Great! Also watch some videos about the TotalMix FX software that controls RME devices. It's a powerhouse to say the least. :)

Quick question: Mac or Windows? Don't worry, doesn't matter much, just want to know. :)

I'm getting a new i9 win 11 desktop, I know vendors have to catch up to win 11 for a few months etc... but this rig should last me another 5-10 years.
    Trying so hard to get it right the first time with good gear that fits what I can afford and the choices are inundating to say the least, so much on the market.

• MOTO has so many choices of interfaces for around $1000 it's confusing.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/c682--MOTU--Audio_Interfaces
    I filtered the search to " price High to Low

It's really going to depend on how many ins and outs you want/need. If I was just going to hook up my Kemper up to it for guitar or bass, and I wanted SPDIF then I would go for this one in the Motu brand.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sto…18x22-usb-audio-interface

My Motu M4 really has everything I need, but it does not have SPDIF which I would like to have. I use analog for reamping with no problems anyway. The mk5 would probably be my next upgrade.

If you wanted to do more than guitar, like a mic kit for drums, then you need to go with something larger to accommodate all that. I wish I had your $1000 and problem deciding right now. ;)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I don't have $1000 which is the problem, lol "buy now pay later" - thank you visa... lol
    What I have learned and I maybe going about it all wrong but by reading a few threads here regarding SPDIF vs Line Out for direct signal, it does seem to me after running tests is that the SPDIF direct signal is always at the same constant level regardless of what amp I switch to which is a beautiful thing in of itself.

When I switch amps using line out the direct signal changes every single time and no consistency and constant tweaking to try and get them in the ballpark of each other. Please correct me if I am wrong or if there is a better way of going about it but it seems SPDIF is the better choice of capturing direct signal for later reamping purposes.

:)

• I am growing to not fully trust Sweetwater anymore. I really dislike my rep there. He is never helpful anymore. I don't know if I don't spend enough money with them these days or what has caused the change. They have missed out on quite a few sales in the past two years because of him not being responsive or not cutting me any deals or not having things in stock. I have taken a lot of business to other places due to that. I wish I knew some place that was trustworthy to get advice from that wasn't just trying to sell me something they have extra stock of.

I am willing to spend the money for the MOTU mk5 if I could find one in stock. I am not sure if I would go up to the $1499 that they want for the RME. Is it really that much better than the MOTU? Am I going to notice a difference? Who knows. It also looks like the RME doesn't have SPDIF in it. This is definitely a crazy confusing landscape to navigate. I feel the OP on this one, I am kind of in the same spot. I currently run my stuff on a MAC but I just bought a Windows machine that would do well with this too. I want something that can run on either machine.

• I am growing to not fully trust Sweetwater anymore. I really dislike my rep there. He is never helpful anymore. I don't know if I don't spend enough money with them these days or what has caused the change. They have missed out on quite a few sales in the past two years because of him not being responsive or not cutting me any deals or not having things in stock. I have taken a lot of business to other places due to that. I wish I knew some place that was trustworthy to get advice from that wasn't just trying to sell me something they have extra stock of.

I am willing to spend the money for the MOTU mk5 if I could find one in stock. I am not sure if I would go up to the $1499 that they want for the RME. Is it really that much better than the MOTU? Am I going to notice a difference? Who knows. It also looks like the RME doesn't have SPDIF in it. This is definitely a crazy confusing landscape to navigate. I feel the OP on this one, I am kind of in the same spot. I currently run my stuff on a MAC but I just bought a Windows machine that would do well with this too. I want something that can run on either machine.

Hey brother, yes it is confusing and I am starting to get a headache from it all. Actually the RME does have SPDIF but you need a breakout cable from the AES/EBU port, that part does not but me much, as long as it is a good connection.