Kemper into Babyface pro fs (spdif)

• Hi, I am new to Kemper and never used anything else than XLR & jack to connect devices before.

So spdif is totally new to me but I hear it's the best way to connect the Kemper to an interface, isn't it?

On RME's website I see the Babyface pro fs has:

SPDIF optical

> 1 x optical, according to IEC 60958

I just read a thread where someone says you need a converter to be able to record the spdif output of the kemper.

But another guy on youtube says in a review the Babyface pro fs has "optical input and output for adat or spdif".

So does the babyface pro fs has a spdif input or not?

Do I need a converter or can I connect my toaster straight into the babyface pro fs with a single spdif cable?

Thanks for your help!

• I would really suggest just using a guitar cable to plug the Main output into your interface. I don't think you'll have any benefit by trying to get SPDIF going. XLR also isn't necessary.

• Hi, jujucaster,

Just before I got my RME BabyFace Pro FS, I asked my Kemper dealer (who also had the RME), to check with the RME representative about connecting to the PROFILER.

The advice came back:

Save your money (on converters) - you won't hear a difference using S/PDIF, use the analog inputs

• XLR inputs from KEMPER main outputs (use the pad)
      OR
    • IF the XLR inputs are in use, then use the 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Sleeve (unbalanced inputs)

Unlike many compact/portable audio interfaces, the RME has four analog inputs which appealed to me because I expected to record two microphones and two instruments simultaneously.

The reason the RME was on my radar: I have a couple of exquisite ribbon microphones and the inventor of the mics told me to get the RME. As expected the RME has been brilliant with those microphones.

Unfortunately, I haven't had any reason to record the PROFILER, so I can't report on this from personal experience.

So, I can confirm - you will need converters if you want to use S/PDIF, but since you've got four analog inputs, you may not need to use S/DIF at all. I don't have any recommendations for a specific make/model converter.

From the RME BabyFace Pro FS Manual

• I have older version of Babyface Pro and was using it via XLRs - RME's preamps are crystal clear - you won't notice _any_ meaningful difference between XLRs and SPDIF. I don't recommend using coax to optical converters. Those are powered devices - you'll end up with 4 cables for data in total, two converters and two additional wall warts. Analog connection is simpler and your desk will be free of clutter - just two cables and that's it.

• Alright guys! I'm glad I didn't order anything yesterday night.

I might just get a good mogami XLR cable and use the XLR ouput. ?