MACKIE Onyx 1220i analog mixer and the KEMPER - good fit? - S/PIDF or LiNE IN

• Hi everyone,

I was thinking of maybe getting a mixer for my small home recording studio setup. I was considering ditching my current Presonus 1818vsl interface which is giving me some problems and maybe going for a Mackie Onyx 1220i.

Here is the link so everyone can check it out....
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Onyx1220i/

The Mackie is also an audio interface which seems great and would solve my interface issues. The only problem is I dont seem to see any S/PIDF connections on it so I would probably have to run the main outs to Line ins on the Mackie. If I did this am I going to regret not using S/PIDF? What are the advantages to using S/PIDF over just running line ins? Will there be a definite lack of audio quality? If there would be I guess I would have to pass on the mixer. It would be great to have one though.

Anyone here use an analog mixer with your Kemper? WHat are your opinions if you do?

Thanks!

• I dont have one, but have used a Onyx 1220i before. - I used it a while ago as my live stage mixer, for my 4 amps. - the good thing with this, is that its got really bloody good preamps in the thing. - the audio interface is good. but the best thing of all its got excellent AD/DA conversion.

Nope it does not have SPDIF but then you wont need it. - its a bit overkill if you just want to plug your Kemper into it, and would perhaps recommend a RME interface or if too expensive a Focusrite Pro or something.

• Hi and44.

Hey thanks for your help. I am the one posting at TGP about my Kemper/AxeFX woes. :) Thanks for all your help. I saw you respond to my thread but I haven't responded or tried your latest ideas yet. I tried hooking up my Kemper to the line ins on my Presonus late last night and I had the same problem. No signal from any of the Line Ins. When I plug in with S/PIDF it works great and I notice it right off the bat. I would assume I would also be seeing a Line In signal if I connected the Kemper and Axe that way. Later today I will try your newest suggestions.

I did look at the RME's and they are out of my price range. I did have a Focusrite Scarlett but I wasnt too fond of the mixing software. I had the Scarlett before I had a Kemper and my AxeFX did work on its Line ins. :) I've always been partial to analog mixers so after all these problems I'm having getting my Presonus to work correctly I thought maybe I would go ahead and try the Mackie mixer. When I saw it didnt have a S/PIDF connection I was let down and didnt think I would be able to use it as I read where some people suggested S/PIDF is the best way to go with connecting your Kemper and you should not use Line In. I dont want to sacrifice any quality of my recorded signal. Is it true S/PIDF will give you the best connection? If it doesn't really matter I may go ahead and try the mixer out. If I could get everyothing hooked up and working happy together that would be fantastic! :thumbup:

If I get the mixer I would use it for connecting my Kemper, Axe FXII (hopefully), Vocal mic and midi drum set so it wont just be the Kemper going into it. Do you think it would still be overkill?

Again thanks for your help!

John

• well in that case go right ahead.. - its the best mixer at that price range (for sure) - and sounds like you need the inputs.
    What DAW do you use? as it will be simple, the Onyx can map each channel automatically to your DAW's I/O so for example..

You can run the Kemper on the stereo ins on 5/6 the Axe on 7/8 vocals on 4, Bass on 3, your Midi Drums on 9/10 and still have enough spare. - then in your DAW you select what channel you want to record.. this also means you can run them all together. - assuming you connect the KPA to the Axe using the Alternative output.

Good luck!.

Oh, and SPDIF will give you the best Digital connection yes. - but if you connect it to your current H/W it bypasses the Pre's and AD/DA - so its direct. in effect your cutting out all the crap. - however, with a good piece of gear, such as the Onyx, the Pre's are so good..(warm sounding)

And FWIW I never use SPDIF to record. never have done never will, sure I have the option available.. - but I prefer the coloration from mic pre's, but I can fully understand thats just IMO.

• Very cool! Then the MackieOnyx it is! I am going to definitely try it now! I actually wanted to get it before I got the 1818vsl. Now that I know it will work with the Kemper I think its going to be a much better fit for me, especially with the other instruments I want to connect.

I typically use Logic but recently I started using Studio One v2. Pretty cool Daw. I also have Cubase 5 but dont use it as much right now. Hopefully the Mackie will work with StudiOne, if not I'll probably use Logic since I'm more familiar with that one.

I'm going to try and set up the AxeFX so I can use its effects with some of my Kemper profiles. Best of both worlds. :)

Thanks again for all your help!

P.s - After I get the mackie I may bump this thread if I need some more help. :)

• +1 here on the Mackie 1220i.
    I bought it for the firewire connection.

If you just want to use the Axe as an effects processor for the Kemper, you could connect it to the stereo AUX, send / return, of the 1220i.
    I run a stereo Chorus/Delay, and Stereo Looper in the AUX.
    Lot of possibilities with this mixer.

• Fantastic imall41!

I appreciate your comments as well and they will come in handy.

I just order the Mackie mixer and am really looking forward to it!

• Mhhh... since you seem to have problems using your audio interface, could it be a good option to troubleshoot it before buying further hardware?
    I write this because it's not normal that you connect a device and get no sound. Why not trying to understand what's going wrong? If you don't reach a good level of error detecting/fixing, you will most likely go on having problems with whatever device you're going to buy.

Just my .02, of course, and YMMV... and all in good spirit ^^

• Mhhh... since you seem to have problems using your audio interface, could it be a good option to troubleshoot it before buying further hardware?
    I write this because it's not normal that you connect a device and get no sound. Why not trying to understand what's going wrong? If you don't reach a good level of error detecting/fixing, you will most likely go on having problems with whatever device you're going to buy.

Just my .02, of course, and YMMV... and all in good spirit ^^

Viabcroce. You are probably right. I've been working on it all night last and night and a good portion today and I still cant get any signals from the line inputs at all through my Kemper or my AxeFXII. Its very wierd. ?( Truth be told though I planned on getting the Mackie before I got the Presonus. I started thinking that it might be a good fit for my setup. I do want to try the Mackie mixer and see what I think of it. I love testing things to try and find the best fit for my needs. If the Mackie doesnt make the cut then I may try again with the Presonus. I really do like it but I've always been partial to analog mixers so I thought why not give it a shot? :thumbup:

I really do appreciate your insight and wise advice though. You really do have a good point about trying to find out why the Presonus isnt working right and maybe I should give it more time. I really would like to find out why its not working.

• Hi guys,

I got my new Mackie Onyx 1220i mixer and it works fantastic with one exception. I do not see it listed as a sound card anywhere in my Imac. I cannot find a solution as to why I am having this problem online. The Mixer came with a driver installation cd but it said no driver needed for Macs cause it uses Macs built in core audio. I looked on the Mackie website and there is no driver or firmware downloads for the Mac. Its supposed to be plug and play I guess.

I wanted to do a test recording and I loaded up Studione2 and when it went to my setup page to select the audio device there is no Onyx listed as an option. The Mackie online PDF installation manual for Macs seems simple enough. It says to go into your utilities/audi midi setup and select the Onyxi name and your set. Problem is there is no Onyxi to be found anywhere.

So basically I have my Kemper and Axe Fx hooked into the mixer and they work perfectly but I dont think I can record because for some reason my computer is not recognizing the Onyx.

Any ideas?

• I recently had a problem with a presonus usb interface that just wouldn't want to work. My solution was:

- Turn everything off
    - disconnect everything
    - connect the mackie
    - turn on mac
    - turn on the mackie

Sometimes it is that simple and brainkilling :S

I hope that helps :)

• Thanks. Sadly that didnt work.

This is really frustrating. Ive been all over the Mackie forums and I do see other people have had this problem but I dont really see anyone resolving it.

Everything else seems to work great and I love this mixer but I cannot get my computer to recognize it as a sound card device or thru any of my DAWS.

I thought maybe if I upgraded to Mountain Lion it might recognize it. So I'm downloading that now. If that doesnt work then I am completely stumped as to what to do next. The mixer is no good to me if I cant record with it.

• Mackie drivers are called "LOUD Asio" or something like that I cant remember... been a while since I used one.
    Do you see that being listed?

Hi And44, no I dont see anything like that. I believe this has to be a Firewire problem. I am not sure if it is the cable or my computer. My computer is only about 2 years old. I'm not sure if I ever used firewire and I dont have any other firewire devices to test it out with. I couldnt use the cable the Mixer shipped with because both ends are firewire 400 connections and my computer has an 800 connection. I got a Belkin Firewire cable with a 400 on one end and a 800 on the other end to connect to my Mac. I assumed that would work but my Mac is not seeing the mixer at all. Firewire is supposed to be backward compatible so it should have worked.

I installed Mountain Lion and it didnt help any. Today I'm going to get a smaller adapter cable and try hooking up the original cable with the adapter to the Mac and see if that helps any.

• The Mackie FW appears as Onyx-i in my device list (10.6.8), no drivers installed or needed.

Do you have other audio devices connected? if yes unplugg them all.
    Do you have other devices connected to your FW-Bus -> unplugg them all.
    Did you switch your cable or did you make a successful connection with any other FW device through that cable and port?
    Boot the machine, then connect the Mixer, then switch it on, go to the device manager and see if it is there before you do anything else.
    Do you have a chance to connect the mixer to another PC through FW - to make sure the audio interface is working.

Keep it simple - get rid of everything else and try to isolate the faulty part first.

Installing a new OS would be kind of the last resort for me.

I know that doesn't solve your problem, but rest assured - the installation is plain and simple. There should be a reason other than the driver.

ADDON: I just saw you answered some of my questions, while I was writing. I use a short 400 to 800 cable with np at all. Not certain if cable length is critical for FW too.

90% of the game is half-mental.

Edited 2 times, last by bigHF ().

• Thanks for the help. Okay check this out.

I just hooked the mixer up to my 7 year old MACPRO with the included Firewire 400 cable and the Macpro recognized the mixer right off the bat!

Why wont my newer Imac see it? It's either the cable or the Firewire in my computer is broke I assume? Well I am going to try that shorter adaptar cable later today and hopefully that will work, if it doesnt I dont know what I'm going to do. ?(

• Im pretty ticked off. Looks like the Firewire port in my Mac is busted. I tried a new cable and an external firewire HD I had lying around. It doesnt look like there is anything I can do now.