MACKIE Onyx 1220i analog mixer and the KEMPER - good fit? - S/PIDF or LiNE IN

• Im pretty ticked off. Looks like the Firewire port in my Mac is busted. I tried a new cable and an external firewire HD I had lying around. It doesnt look like there is anything I can do now.

:love: Sorry to hear that.

at least you know what caused the problem and how to fix it (theoretically).

H

90% of the game is half-mental.

• Hi gang,

I need some more help please. I want to try something with the Mackie mixer and the Presonus Audiobox Audio interface.

I want to take the Mackie mixer and connect it directly into the Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface. That way I wont be using the firewire on the Mackie and would use it strictly as a mixer. I want to see if it would work like that.

Please advise me on where to make the connections from the mixer to the interface. If I used the Presonus interface for the actual audio processing, can I still have my Kemper,AxeFX,Mic,VDrums and monitors hooked into the mixer? I have my monitors in the main outs on the mixer. Would that interfere with connecting the mixer to the Presonus? Or do I connect the monitors to the Presonus?

Since my Mac is not under warranty anymore replacing the Firewire port will entail getting a new logic board and that runs upwards of $800. If I could go the AI to mixer route I may do that for now until I can afford to fix the computer. I spent all my money on gear and my CC needs a break! :D

I've been playing guitar almost 20 years and I havent done much in terms of recording other than some basic stuff. I know my questions are very basic to most of you but I am looking to learn and appreciate any help. :)

Thanks!

• no....no... dont do that!
    the point of the Mackie is its a great soundcard but the best bit of it you will be bypassing, the AD/DA conversion, and Pre-amps.
    because the mackie doesn't have SPDIF, you will go through several iterations of conversion, and your final output will be the weakest from your audiobox.

The best thing you can really do, is to take the mac to a shop and get it repaired. - you can possibly sit and wait whilst they do it.- and it wont cost much.

You still have your old mac as a goto mac for now.. - but you have great gear.. so dont compromise. its pointless.

• I don't like that too.

Yes, you can use your Mackie as an analog mixer - I am not certain it becomes as bad as Andy thinks, because I believe the mixing takes place before the first AD process, but in theory you could use the mixed out and feed that into a soundcard.

There is no doubt about the quality of the FW-Soundcard in your Mackie!

However AD/DAing back and forth would be a bad idea.

The logical thing is still to get yourself a working FW (old MAC, repair, new one) or switch completely to a usb solution of the same quality.
    And yes there might be money involved. It all depends on your priorities.
    Life is about choices - almost always!

Hendrik

90% of the game is half-mental.