Need a good Interface

• ...torn between the Motu 828 or 896 and the RME Fireface UC. Would like to hear from the recording pros here what and why they would choose. I have a Windows based computer hosting the DAWs (Sonar 8.5 Producer and Cubase) and I would connect mainly the KPA, a keyboard and different mics. The above mentionned have what I need (8 inputs, spdif, USB 2.0 and Fireface.
    Also: am I missing something? anything else I should take in consideration (in the same range of price)?

Thanks in advance!

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I'm far from an expert but I have more or less the same setup and the Motu 896mk3. Very happy with it, never had any issues except for one: the included software to control parameters for each channel (volume, fx, comp, ...) has very high CPU usage. I don't use it, so it's not an issue for me, but if you'd plan on using that extensively I'd test it on your system before you decide.
    Apart from that, smooth sailing all the way :)

• I would strongly suggest this thread (A Mackie Onyx 1220i)

Thread link

Its on Par with the RME, and will do all you need..

However..

The RME is better than the Moto in terms of I/O and driver support. (working with DAWS etc)
    But the Moto has a better AD/DA converter, and less noise floor in general.
    Its hard between these too, - as the RME has better Mic Pre's - but the Moto Better conversion.. in other words.. you get better input from the RME, but Better Output from the Moto.. - depends what you want it for, and your prefer choice :)
    Although I'd still go via a mixer looking at your alternative options/Equipment.
    And the Mackie is up there with your current choices.

• Andy: I'm using an Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0 that seems to be pretty much similar to the Mackie, why is Mackie better?

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• My vote would go to the RME. Simply the best drivers on the market, fast and stable. I can't comment on the converters of the fireface-series since I own an older Multiface. But I highly doubt that there is much of a difference in middle-class interfaces anyway. They all use the same AD/DA chips.

If you really want to buy in a class where converters do matter, be prepared to spent a lot of money for Apogee, Weis, Lynx and whatever.