Profiling the amp without the speaker/cab

• Like many people I've had mixed success with my profiling attempts. Some have been great others a bit disappointing. Really the issue comes down to my ability to mic the amp/cab. Aside from my own limited mic placement skills, in an ordinary house with an SM57 and a pressure zone mic there's probably a limit to what I can expect to achieve.

Recently though I moved away from my FRFR speaker and bought a Kemper Kone which I've mounted in a theile cab. I'm really pleased with it.

Since I'm now using something a lot more like a 'real cab' could I try profiling the electrical output of an amplifier (via a suitable high voltage DI box) instead of mic'ing the amp? Obviously this would not give great results from the main outputs but would I expect the Kemper Kone (and it's associated magic) to compensate for the lack of speaker/cab in the resulting profile?

Thanks,

• Yes, you can do so. The DI box shold not inlcude a speaker simulation and not color the sound. And you should connect a guitar cabinet during this exercise to simulate realistic load to the amplifier. No Attenuator should be used.

Make sure you combine this Direct PROFILER with any cabinet afterwards as otherwise the KEMPER Kone logic sswitches always into full-range mode as it assumes you are playing acoustic guitar.

More details can be found in the Main Manual regarding Direct PROFILEs and KEMPER Kone.