Asking studio monitors gurus(upgrade maybe?)

• Hi everyone!
    When I bought my Kemper, I bought a pair of studio monitors. Here they are http://www.prodipe.co.uk/studio-monitors/2113-pro-8-v3.html

I had no idea about monitors (i still don't have) and im extremely happy with my purchase. How are these monitors on paper based on their specifications? Also, if i get a pair of yamaha hs8 or genelecs, will i hear a difference for the better? The monitors are used for the kemper mostly and light recording, not so much for mixing/mastering!

• If you are not mixing then there is no hurry for an upgrade plus you are already use to their sound and a new set will take time getting your ears use to. I've never heard of the brand you have but they should suffice.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I can't see which monitors you have. My work machine won't let me go to sites outside of the US. I use the Yamaha HS7 along with the sub for those. Don't just buy the biggest monitors they make. You need to think about the size of the room you are in when purchasing monitors. I consulted some experts in my area when I bought mine and these are what they recommended for the room I am in. They told me the sub was optional and that some people don't need the sub to mix. I prefer having it.

The reason the Yamaha monitors were suggested is because they have one of the flattest responses of speakers in this price range. That helps when deciding how to EQ your tracks and mixes. I still listen to the mixdown on various devices to see how it sounds in various situations. Some monitors are heavy on the bottom end, Rokit, I am looking at you. You will have the same situation on a lot of headphones. You have to look at the EQ curve in the specs to see how flat the response is.

I have been nothing but satisfied with these monitors. I just put a new interface in front of them this week and I was really enjoying the sound of them over this past weakened.

• Hi everyone!
    When I bought my Kemper, I bought a pair of studio monitors. Here they are http://www.prodipe.co.uk/studio-monitors/2113-pro-8-v3.html

I had no idea about monitors (i still don't have) and im extremely happy with my purchase. How are these monitors on paper based on their specifications? Also, if i get a pair of yamaha hs8 or genelecs, will i hear a difference for the better? The monitors are used for the kemper mostly and light recording, not so much for mixing/mastering!

if you are extremely happy with your purchase why you want to buy other monitors?also you said you dont have experience with monitors so my advice is keep those monitors if you are happy with the sound,maybe later when you have more experience with monitors you can buy other monitors.

Guitar: Fender Strat HSS<3 Schecter Custom Solo II

Signal Chain: Kemper->AxeFX 3>Neural QC>Apollo Twin->M-Audio Monitors

Computer:Mac Studio

• I think tenderboy makes a really good point; placement in your studio space and even modest acoustic treatment can have a significant impact - one that is worth exploring/experimenting with if you haven't already. In terms of those published specs, they show they are not the flattest response, varying more than say a standard Genelec 8030 or similar. In particular, you can see the effects of the ported design on the low-end response in that plot, which has a peak below 50Hz that you should just be mindful of in case it impacts upon some of your decisions with the low end of your profiles or kicks off room modes, especially if you are playing bass guitar through your Kemper as well. In context though, if you like them and they sound decent, it doesn't matter much what the specs say. You can always check custom profiles or mixes with a pair of good headphones as well to ensure you're not cutting low end too much to compensate, for example. For comparison, I took some measurements in my room for my Genelec 8030As and the response was 'dramatic' in the mid-to-low end despite some efforts with treatment. I can still mix in that room with them though, and it never comes to mind when I play guitar...

Ed / Audio Systems Engineer / Kemper Stage + Fender fan

• If you are happy with them, then save your cash. I use a pair of JBL 305p MKII monitors and love them. They work great for my small home studio but I also don't do a lot of mixing.

• Hi everyone!

Cheaper ones like this are not studio monitors. They are hifi speakers. If you're happy with them, don't waste your money. Save for something else, like another guitar or anything else guitar related. :).

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Cheaper ones like this are not studio monitors. They are hifi speakers. If you're happy with them, don't waste your money. Save for something else, like another guitar or anything else guitar related. :).

They are “consumer studio monitors”. Not fair to call them hifi speakers (can be misleading for the readers).
    But other than that I agree. Don’t waste your money on higher end speakers if you’re happy with what you’ve got. And don’t make anything you read (here or elsewhere) let you convince you they’re not good enough.

As has been stated previously, room treatment is much more important dollar for dollar. But now we’re talking mixing/mastering territory, and as you stated this is not your focus. it’s very good that you stated this, but if you read through the thread, the discussions veer strongly towards this as it goes on - that’s the issue with asking other people in different situations about stuff like this (no pointing fingers here, I’m guilty of the same - on both sides of the discussion :-)).