Error or what? Nothing happens until restart

• Hey guys,

I am using the Kemper almost every day since 2015 for practicing and recording. However, the following happend:

About a year ago I updadet the Kemper by doing a factory reset in order to clean it all up and to get an overview about all my profiles, settings etc again. Since then, Iam always up to date with the latest Kemper software.

However, since then I have the problem, that in 1 of 20 times the Kemper doesnt boot up correctly. It doesnt accept any input, no matter what I do. The only solution is to reboot.

Anyone any idea what this is? I can live with it, no problem. But there must be a way to boot up correctly all the time I think.

See attached what I see when this problem occurs.

Thanks

Olli

• Thats strange..

Have you tried a 2nd factory reset yet?

Otherwise, contacting the kemper support team is probably the best way to figure out whats wrong.

Yes I tried that a few weeks ago, no change. I can give it another try, maybe a current SW version contains something what might help.

• It looks as if you are booting up in Tuner Mode. Your picture doesn't show the chicken head knob and its current position.

If the chicken head is not in Tuner Mode, what if you put it into Tuner Mode and back into Browser Mode or Performance Mode?

Is a Remote connected? Does Tuner Mode get activated a few seconds after a start, when the Remote gets connected? What if you detach the Remote.

Is any MIDI equipment involved? Perhaps it is sending MIDI CC#31 any value between 1 and 127, which activates Tuner Mode. Some MIDI controllers resend the current state of their CC buttons occasionally. In that case you should hit the button of that controller wo make it send MIDI CC# 31 with value 0. You can also exit Tuner Mode any time by turning the chicken head to Tuner Mode and back into another mode.

• Hi Burkhard,

Thanks for the answer. The only connections are: Master,Monitor and SPDIF. And for practice I only boot in Tuner Modus.

When this error occurs, I can switch to browser, perform etc and everything is working but the input. Even when I change the input to SPDIF there is no input. Will do a complete wipe the next days and reinstall all my profiles. If this happens again, I will post it here again.

• I'm a bit lost. How does your picture relate to the issue then? It shows Tuner Mode, which seems intended. It shows a bubble, so there is a signal.

Which input are you using? Front INPUT or ALTERNATIVE INPUT? Are you aware, that the Front INPUT always has the right of way regardless of the Setting of Input Source,?

• Hi Burkhard, merry Christmas :)

Yes, the picture shows tuner mode and I am most of the time in tuner mode. But there is no signal. I am using front input and I am aware that this overrules all other inputs when there is a cable in. However, even when I change the input and try i.e. the SPDIF for reamping there is also no input.

• How do you know, there is no input signal versus there is no output signal? Your picture shows a bubble and a deviation. So there must be an input signal the tuner is processing.

At which level is the bar for Volume Pedal, when there is no sound.

At which level is output volume of the output you are monitoring e.g. Main Output volume? There is no Master Output by the way. There are only output sources like "Master Stereo" and others.

• I see you have "Mute @ Volume 0" checked ... Did you have any pedal connected to

"Pedal 1" and then disconnect it while it was at "zero" position?

The "Mute @ Volume 0" stays in that position even when the pedal is removed from

"Pedal 1" jack ......

( If you have Pedal 1 as volume that is ... )

Just a thought :/

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

Edited once, last by Hoki Toki ().

• the guitar is plugged in all the time. after a reboot it is working perfectly. as i said, it is only in about 1 of 20 times this occurs.

There is a bubble in tuner mode, yes. but it is doing nothing like its frozen. i can play on the guitar what i want (yes, volume is max; i also tried it on a tube amp which is standing right next to it)

There is no deviation in the bubble. It is not moving at all when this occurs

How do you know, there is no input signal versus there is no output signal? Your picture shows a bubble and a deviation. So there must be an input signal the tuner is processing.

At which level is the bar for Volume Pedal, when there is no sound.

At which level is output volume of the output you are monitoring e.g. Main Output volume? There is no Master Output by the way. There are only output sources like "Master Stereo" and others.

• no.. there is no pedal connected

• OK, what happens if you DO have a pedal connected ? ( Expression pedal )

Other reasons :

Bad connection input jack / broken soldering joint on input circuit board ? :/

Oxide / dirt / dust inside "Pedal 1" input jack ? :/

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• I have this same problem and most of times it occurs middle of playing, suddendly sound just stops and there's no input, input led does not light, tuner leds are off and tuner shows some solid note like there's no guitar/cable connected

Only guitar and monitors connected, same thing without anything connected, alternative input is dead also. Switching modes doesn't help, switching profiles, effects or input / output settings doesn't help, only after reboot everything works good

This happens maybe once a week if playing every day for couple hours

• I have this same problem and most of times it occurs middle of playing, suddendly sound just stops and there's no input, input led does not light, tuner leds are off and tuner shows some solid note like there's no guitar/cable connected

Only guitar and monitors connected, same thing without anything connected, alternative input is dead also. Switching modes doesn't help, switching profiles, effects or input / output settings doesn't help, only after reboot everything works good

This happens maybe once a week if playing every day for couple hours

If this happens accidentally during playing it sounds like defective hardware. Please open a support ticket here:

https://www.kemper-amps.com/contact

• the guitar is plugged in all the time. after a reboot it is working perfectly. as i said, it is only in about 1 of 20 times this occurs.

There is a bubble in tuner mode, yes. but it is doing nothing like its frozen. i can play on the guitar what i want (yes, volume is max; i also tried it on a tube amp which is standing right next to it)

There is no deviation in the bubble. It is not moving at all when this occurs

FYI this issue sounds similar to my experience, posted today: Guitar input does not work (sometimes)

Note that I have never seen the input cut out while playing… the profiler is (so far) either fully working or having a dead input at startup.

I’m curious to know if you ever see the issue when you are playing the guitar a bit when it starts up? It could be luck, but I never see the issue when I make sure there is a signal coming from the guitar at startup.

• FYI this issue sounds similar to my experience, posted today: Guitar input does not work (sometimes)

Note that I have never seen the input cut out while playing… the profiler is (so far) either fully working or having a dead input at startup.

I’m curious to know if you ever see the issue when you are playing the guitar a bit when it starts up? It could be luck, but I never see the issue when I make sure there is a signal coming from the guitar at startup.

Never tried that, its worth a try. Thanks

• I also got a little problem when booting up, sometimes when it boots up, everything looks like its doing it's thing but when it's done booting up, the only thing that's displayed are the KPA logo.

Did that press and hold the system and rig button while starting the KPA up in tuner mode, It looked like that was the fix, but the next day the same problem resurfaced.

I did send inn a support ticket.