RHCP "Give it Away" Sounds

• Hi all,

Total, noob here. Haven't learned enough about this awesome device to do a lot for myself so thought I'd ask here.

My band is going to do "Give it Away" by the RHCP and would like to find a good sound for the main riffs as well as the reverse recoded lead.

Any ideas? I don't mind paying for a good rig sound if it's spot on.

Many thanks for all your input.

Cheers

• I think you will be looking at a Marshal Plexi (a bright one at that), a Strat in the #2 position on the PUPs, and a flanger for the weird parts ;).

Start with that, then work the eq to get it right.

Oh, some compression may also be needed to get it right as well.

• Just a guess but try using a reverse delay with a quick single repeat and turn the dry mix way down only allowing the wet reverse to be heard. I've never heard this song before but I think a reverse delay could work, or you have to do the reverse effect in a studio and use pre-recorded riff for live -- maybe that's what the artist did??

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Hi!

Huge RHCP fan, been looking for BSSM tones a while ago, and my boring conclusion is : If you got a strat like guitar, and a crunchy amp, the rest is in the pick attack and technique.

Anyway, never got into that song specifically, but here's a snippet of the only riff I sort of know:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Note: This type of sound by itself is quite ear piercing. You can hear the same in the isolated guitar tracks of BSSM. It really shines in a mix though.

If you like it, this is what I'm using (Strat on the bridge pickup only)

- Profile: BM Van Wheel T dist profile from the free Bert Meulendijk rig pack . Incredible profile! Comes stock with Rig Manager.

- lowered the gain a little bit

- A little bit of chorus, because I think there's some modulation going on. Not sure about that though.