Updated algorithm for more accurate Profiles !

• have you tried EQ’g the profile a tad if you are hearing a difference in the mids. My old ears can never tell the difference after refining ( I sometime refine with different guitars/pickup configurations and positions which appears to get a more accurate if not perfect profile).

• Wouldn't different guitars give different accentuated frequency peaks that would be in the equation for refinement? Maybe try a synth.

Contrary to popular belief I think this is correct. If you refine on lower strings is different from refining on higher strings. So frequency content matters. IOW different guitars give different results. Not necessarily better. But different.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I want to clarify a few things. KPA is the best gear I have and I have gotten extraordinary results. With the amps I own and the Kemper I no longer have any GAS. (that's a lie still want more guitars etc but u know what I mean!)

Also everyone's experience is relevant and not to be discarded. We all have different ears, experience, facilities, gear etc. We are bound to get different results; nobody is lying or has any agenda it's just their experience. So let's b kind even if it is USER error. We all have room to grow.

don thank you for the reply, I will check the video. However even before I do, I can confidently say that the Kemper can get authentic results. Results that even "developed" ears won't differentiate from the original and that is impressive...

Some people might've heard Andy Sneap or people like Lasse Lammert (great AE) get identical results.

The same thing seems to happen to me if I profile my 5150 or "racktifier". The mark V is also impressive but I hear a difference in the mids; like there is a vocal like quality that is added. It bothers me a bit but is still unbelievably close.

Personally I cannot get the same results profiling my plexi. Great results with my Lonestar...

Maybe I'm lacking info, I always keep an open mind. but in the meantime I still believe the profiling process can be improved and that we may argue for ages until it is done in the future anyway.

The only difference is I am not bothered by the wait as I am satisfied NOW with the results. I started advertising the concept of the kemper even before it was out (still online on some forums) saying that if this wasn't just talk, my dream would come true as a guitar fan and it did. The guys delivered. That isn't even taking into accounts the other creations and enhancements that were added. Not only is the team creative enough to come up with groundbreaking solutions, but they are done at a pro level where the quality matches the concept. Sorry for typing endlessly.

Cheers everyone and my best wishes to you all for the coming year!

• Also everyone's experience is relevant and not to be discarded. We all have different ears, experience, facilities, gear etc. We are bound to get different results; nobody is lying or has any agenda it's just their experience. So let's b kind even if it is USER error. We all have room to grow.

very well said, sir ?

• So what is it you find that needs to be improved with the mids?

mids sounds restrained and not open (don’t know how to say it).
    There’s persistent vocal/wha frequencies that are a little bit annoying to me.

I’m sure there’s a lot of room for improvement. 10 years later there’s must be a change to be made to get more « depth » to the profiled tones.

I don’t say the kemper sucks, it’s an awesome tool, but i sometimes, especially live, have the feeling not to play an amp but to play an kind of image of it. Hard to describe the feeling but I miss that « depth » and frequencies séparation that you get from a real amp.

It’s also really really hard to get a typical Marshall plexi that sounds realistic and full for live situations.

• mids sounds restrained and not open (don’t know how to say it).
    There’s persistent vocal/wha frequencies that are a little bit annoying to me.

When you hear a WAH sound that means there is a large frequency peak somewhere. These almost always come from the profiling process and are caused by the frequency response of the mic and cabinet. The Kemper seems to accentuate these freqs somehow. So dont be afraid to adjust the CABINET settings. Reducing the CHARACTER will flatten out the freq peaks and get you closer to the real cabinet sound.

You can adjust that peaks location with the HI and LO settings. Sometimes setting the LO to about 1.5-2.5 moves the resonant frequency below where you hear it.

Certain pedals will also add a WAH sound so be sure it is not those.

I also swear by running a Graphic EQ as the first stomp. Set HI CUT to about 4k. Roll the 80Hz down a few dB. Then tweak the mid freqs to your taste and guitar.

• frequency build-up on a certain area is often due to the way the cabinet is mic'ed (location, distance, angle, the mic itself) or it even could be standing waves and room resonances of an untreated and somewhat lacking recording space (a small room/closet).

If these qualities are not present in the source sound (by A/B-ing source and Profile after profiling), find the troubling area on the guitar (area of fretboard, certain chords, palm mutes etc) and refine playing those.

Clarity can also be a quick fix.

• It is hard not to be influenced from reading posts in the past highlighting a wah tone on Kemper profiles. All I can say is that it never happened to me when profiling.

Comparing the Kemper with the real amp from separate room has either fully worked, or been a complete mess. I tried a Marshall Jubilee and that amp was just nowhere near on both occasions it came into the studio.

I seem to recall CK saying that the profiling process was as close as it could get within reason.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• But you can't compare real amp=raw tone and kemper=recorded tone. It can never be the same thing.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Well I guess when using a DI profile with a powered Kemper and a real cab you can to a significant extent.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

Edited once, last by musicmad ().

• Well I guess when using a DI profile with a powered Kemper and a real cab you can to a significant extend.

A properly made Direct Amp Profile of an amp over the same cabinet that the Profile was made with will give you the same sound IF both (amp & PROFILER) run at the same volume.

Any difference in volume will be interpreted by the listener as differences in tone.