Main Output eq when auditioning new profiles in headphones

• I, like many others, find many profiles dark and bass heavy with plenty of mids to spare. Especially with high gain profiles we're always boosted the front end trying to tighten it up and increasing treble and presence to get a more articulate sound like the amps being profiled sound like in a room mic'd or not.

So I thought we'll first of all I need to lock a cabinet and use DI profiles for consistency.

Second, I thought what if I used the main output eq for headphones listening and auditioning and leave the monitor output eq alone knowing it's either gonna go through a real cab or a kabinet.

Next I did what I usually do with any high gain profiles using only the output eq, cut bass a lot, tiny mids scooped (since profiles seem to have that strong mid presence) boost if desired I suppose and treble and presence up!

What I found is I could hear the profile a little better and connect to the sound of different amps a little more clearer. After all this THEN started all my usual Amp block tweaks and eq blocks post or pre, studio eq post or pre and any stomp boosts. I found less of a need to do all the usual things but also found another level of depth and dynamics in the profile recreation sound.

All in all its got me thinking different about shaping the back end towards the front versus gain staging and shaping from front to back, first.