Kemper Profiling Amp Successor

• I personally think that dual amping is a bit old now. A good option to have though. I feel that a choice to be able to mic up an amp like you would do in the studio, would be a lot more realistic. And I mean internally with Kemper possessing 2 or 3 mic inputs that can do a profile each and then you can mix between the different mics or cabs if needed. And each profile should be able to recall all three of these profiles within one profile, so you can adjust on the go if one mic number is too dominant.

USB instead of s/pdif is of course a must. Backward compatibility would be very cool. There might be a slight change in sound. Who knows. The display and UI could use an upgrade. I agree. I only use the RM though.

that would be an awesome upgrade!

• Sorry….I’ve tried to read this at least 20 times and made a google translation as well. I don’t understand this sentence ?. Can you elaborate? Do you mean some kinda limits that young guitar players today does not accept, should be torn down? Or? I can’t get it to make sense.

But I also believe that a second version will appear one day. But, I, on the other hand, believe that striving for perfection should be what drives this ship forward. I’ve been onboard this digital ship for over 20 years now. Had my first digital pedalboard, Boss GT-6 in 2001. If they’d stopped there by saying, that there’s no need to go forward from here, we’d be left with that old stuff. In 20 years from now we’ll be in the same spot as today looking back. So imho this cannot stop and we need to keep pushing the boundaries to strive for just a little better solution every time. And in the end that will take us a long way. Of course….if people have romantic thoughts about olden times, then you’ll disagree. So yes….the gear world need the next more realistic thing.

I was trying to say that I don't know many people who are looking for another modeler with the next 10000x profiles/models of 5150 & RECTIFIER or Marshall DSL amps.

• It is always interesting to me that 'advancements" for guitar amp tech, are usually centered around perfecting the past tech. What I'm hoping for, is that a genius like CK, actually advances what a string instrument can be made to do. He has his feet in both worlds, and Roland isn't as receptive to giving more than necessary. Only Kemper has delivered way more than promised, after the sale, at no cost, in my 57yrs. as a pro. Please take us out of the 1950's!!!:)

• It is always interesting to me that 'advancements" for guitar amp tech, are usually centered around perfecting the past tech. What I'm hoping for, is that a genius like CK, actually advances what a string instrument can be made to do. He has his feet in both worlds, and Roland isn't as receptive to giving more than necessary. Only Kemper has delivered way more than promised, after the sale, at no cost, in my 57yrs. as a pro. Please take us out of the 1950's!!!:)

Indeed.

What is the KPA's claim to fame? It most accurately reproduces tube amp tone for many different tube amps! In product management this is what is called a USP (Unique Selling Point).

You find out what is the MOST important aspect of a specific type of product for the MOST people then do THAT better, faster, and easier than anyone else can and make that your #1 talking point.

For the KPA, it is good tone ...... as defined by several generations of musicians.

From the way CK has handled the Kemper product line, I believe that he knows this. As a result, I would fully expect that whatever else the KPA2 does, it will retain and possibly improve upon, its ability to sound like many great tube amps of the past.... and do it quickly, easily and better than any other competitor.

Everything else is just the icing IMO.

• I do understand CK's reluctance to have a touch screen on a product. I too resisted this urge for years and years. The problem is that it has become the standard of the industry for any "smart" device of any kind to have a capacitive-touch touch screen (color). IMO this is the single biggest change that the product line needs.

I really hope we don't get a touch screen. A touch screen belongs in my hands because every touch screen I've tried that isn't on my phone feels clunky and horrible. I must be in the minority who actually thinks that the Kemper UI is well thought out and very good. And as a UX designer, perhaps I should be worried!

• I really hope we don't get a touch screen. A touch screen belongs in my hands because every touch screen I've tried that isn't on my phone feels clunky and horrible. I must be in the minority who actually thinks that the Kemper UI is well thought out and very good. And as a UX designer, perhaps I should be worried!

I am 100% with you. Touchscreens have no pace in critical situations like on stage, in a car etc

• I really hope we don't get a touch screen. A touch screen belongs in my hands because every touch screen I've tried that isn't on my phone feels clunky and horrible. I must be in the minority who actually thinks that the Kemper UI is well thought out and very good. And as a UX designer, perhaps I should be worried!

I’m also with you. Not 100% but close. I also usually feel that touch screens tend to be a bad experience. I am so used to Apple’s touch screens that all others feel weird. And when these touch screens are placed on devices such like gps etc, it never feels great. To me at least. So I don’t need that option either.

agree!

And above all what’s the point of the touchscreen when there’s an iPad app. :)

• A new Kemper will stir up the market like they did when it first came out for sure.

It will have an AI based processor and dsp and will answer to the name Cheryl.

Voice activated program changes from a wireless neck mic and a deep learning AI that learns your playingstyle and setlists so turning on that boost when its solo time will be a breeze!

The AI will do all of the profiling including refining and setting up all of the input sense stuff and so on automagically.

At some point it will also learn how to brew coffee and go to this forum and delete "humor not detected" posts like mine ;)

• A new Kemper will stir up the market like they did when it first came out for sure.

Voice activated program changes from a wireless neck mic and a deep learning AI that learns your playingstyle and setlists so turning on that boost when its solo time will be a breeze!

The AI will do all of the profiling including refining and setting up all of the input sense stuff and so on automagically.

At some point it will also learn how to brew coffee and go to this forum and delete "humor not detected" posts like mine ;)

If it learns how to not block the whole unit with the same constant FX parameters in "lock"-function through different presets/performamnces I’d even be fine with the current small display.?

Edited once, last by JSJSJS ().

Yes. In cycle computers for example, the top models from Garmin etc have touch screens and resemble smart phones but are nothing like as snappy in response. New customers are often a little surprised that they can't navigate so quickly on one because it is slow to catch up. If you are going that way, you have a more fragile device with a clumsier user interface than the rotary encoders which are fast and precise. What isn't fast is stepping through 18 pages in the output section on the toaster. The editor fixes that. Generalising editing functions to more mobile devices than the iPad might be a good workaround. Support for iPhone and Android phone would make touchscreen based adjustments accessible to a huge chunk of their customer base.

Edited 2 times, last by Antipodes ().

• A touch screen is the last thing I think of when I think about the long list of most important things that really should be developed, improved and fixed in a generation II. It would be handy and nice to have, though.

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

And for long rehearsal sessions : an integrated microwave oven , a beverage cooler and perhaps a pullout porta potti 8o

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• One major thing that's needed in an updated Kemper Version is an updated it loader. At the moment the Kemper strips away all timing information in an IR. That can be good thing if you cannot profile in a studio environment and have lots of room sound on the mic's but you loose some of the organic feel of good IRs. This could easily be an option.

Also the profiling could get a little update. It struggles with certain amps.

Also some signal chains with more than one cab would be nice.

IMO Physical controls are much better than the Touchscreen for quick adjustment to the gain etc

. Kemper offers a great editor unless a QC -> so save that money for something else ?

• A touch screen is the last thing I think of when I think about the long list of most important things that really should be developed, improved and fixed in a generation II. It would be handy and nice to have, though.

Being a former QC owner, I can say that in my opinion a touchscreen would be a very welcome addition to the Kemper world.

The touchscreen on my QC was very responsive. I didn’t have any of the problems that people here are worrying about.

And it could be optional, of course. If Kemper implements a touchscreen, I hope they would make all the functions available via buttons and knobs as well, for those who do not like to use touchscreens.

• Being a former QC owner, I can say that in my opinion a touchscreen would be a very welcome addition to the Kemper world.

The touchscreen on my QC was very responsive. I didn’t have any of the problems that people here are worrying about.

And it could be optional, of course. If Kemper implements a touchscreen, I hope they would make all the functions available via buttons and knobs as well, for those who do not like to use touchscreens.

i haven’t tried a QC (and actually have no desire to) but one thing that did strike me as potentially very good design was the way that the footswitches all serve a dual function as physical knobs for data entry.

• Touch screens are an interesting discussion for sure.

While I am a big believer in having some physical knobs and buttons in most any UI, the fact is that a touch screen (or screen and mouse) offers an order of magnitude or two of additional design flexibility.

Additionally, since all of us now have a smart phone, we have all been conditioned to use this kind of navigation through a program.

It is possible that CK will decide to forgo a touch screen, but it would really hamstring the flexibility of any next generation device IMO.

• …one thing that did strike me as potentially very good design was the way that the footswitches all serve a dual function as physical knobs for data entry.

They worked great. In fact I used them for dialing in values more than the touchscreen. You can certainly use the screen to turn virtual knobs and it worked fine, but I preferred the foot switch/knobs.

But the touchscreen was amazing for quickly getting to different section like the outputs etc, and seeing everything on one page. Truly brilliant in fact.

The mixed approach of touchscreen and physical knobs is the sweet spot, IMO.