Kemper Profiling Amp Successor

• I don’t understand the need of a touchscreen for a kemper.

Honestly, I think the units are really well thought and designed. Everything can be accessed really quickly, there’s tons of shortcuts everywhere.

All the kemper products have been designed to edit parameters directly on the unit, how many clicks a touchscreen will save?

Explain how much time a touchscreen will save compared to physical controls?

A touchscreen will only add problems, will raise the price for nothing.

I would understand the need of a touchscreen for units like fractal with 200 options for any effects or amps but on a profiler with 4 stomps, one amp, one cab and 4 effects, that’s not necessary at all.

Touchscreen is also a no go for live use, humidity, sun, rain etc.

I would rather see kemper spend some time and money m giving more clarity and separations on the frequencies that spending money on a touchscreen.

• The touchscreen talk is very interesting. Since the Kemper is designed more for people who do not want to tweak all day it seems like no touch is a better idea? Especially in a live situation? Having a cheaper screen would be cheaper to replace when someone dumps a beer on your rig also? Since the Kemper is geared for the PRO it is expected it may get damaged at some point?

Personally I HATE touchscreens. Every single phone I have ever had has been thrown against the wall several times until I got an iPhone 11. That model finally works decently for me. But Apples touch code is horrible. So I would not model my code on their smooth brained ideas. But a touch screen may help when doing things like multiple paths/amps etc.

• The touchscreen talk is very interesting. Since the Kemper is designed more for people who do not want to tweak all day it seems like no touch is a better idea? Especially in a live situation? Having a cheaper screen would be cheaper to replace when someone dumps a beer on your rig also? Since the Kemper is geared for the PRO it is expected it may get damaged at some point?

Personally I HATE touchscreens. Every single phone I have ever had has been thrown against the wall several times until I got an iPhone 11. That model finally works decently for me. But Apples touch code is horrible. So I would not model my code on their smooth brained ideas. But a touch screen may help when doing things like multiple paths/amps etc.

That is what I was thinking. If (and that is a big "if") it is desired to allow more flexibility in routing AND it is desired to keep the current capabilities AND increase the functionality for the next generation, the absence of a touch screen could in fact make the KPA2 quite difficult to understand and use.

I remember Mac used to keep to that stupid 1 button mouse thinking they were keeping things "simple" when the fact was that there was so much "tribal knowledge" needed to operate the "simple" device that you pulled your hair out using it.

• I would want a new screen on the Kemper for one reason only. Visibility.

My eyes are getting tired and the slow decay low contrast low resolution screen on mine is just kinda hard to squint at and read for basics like the tuner, especially the tuner thanks to the slow decay. A fast large clear bright high contrast and high resolution display would actually be very nice.

Touchscreen I can take or leave as I do most editing on my computer. Clear UI on the Kemper itself though would be priceless.

• Funny how we’re so different in the way we experience stuff. I, on the other hand, love everything about the iPhone touch experience. In fact so much that I detect the smallest difference in touch feedback, when trying out a Samsung phone. I instantly feel that Apple’s touch are light years ahead regarding feeling. It’s so responsive.

And….the whole dumping a beer onto the Kemper at gigs is the worst argument ever. The smartphones of today are waterproof. So it’s no big deal really. And if you’re a pro and like you state, would have a rig without touchscreen, because it’s more “pro”, you would probably have a setup with a big flight case on wheels for your gear. Who is gonna dump a beer onto that?

• I, on the other hand, love everything about the iPhone touch experience.

The smartphones of today are waterproof.

Some of the things Apple does badly (in case Kemper engrs are reading this):

1) When you press your finger onto the screen, they read this too fast. So as your finger smushes into the screen they read this as a swipe which results in the UI doing nothing or going into swipe mode and a phone getting tossed into a wall.

2) They have code that looks at the angle your finger is pressing. So in portrait mode your finger has to be in portrait mode also or no touch happens. This would make me smash my Kemper if I am balancing a guitar, wearing headphones, and reach over to make a change and it doesn't register because I am at a 15 degree angle. Kemper does not have to worry about a Kemper in someones pocket butt dialing, so probably not an issue. But maybe a cable dragging across the screen as you rip a hot solo?

Smartphones are a pain in the ass to take apart. I would rather the Kemper be water resistant and easy to take apart so I can replace a damaged screen myself.

b_ryan None of my statements are arguments for or against. Just exposing variables someone else needs to engineer around. And generically looking at the STAGE model as the unit that will get a beer tossed on it, etc.

• Being a former QC owner, I can say that in my opinion a touchscreen would be a very welcome addition to the Kemper world.

The touchscreen on my QC was very responsive. I didn’t have any of the problems that people here are worrying about.

And it could be optional, of course. If Kemper implements a touchscreen, I hope they would make all the functions available via buttons and knobs as well, for those who do not like to use touchscreens.

I was just about to say both would be the move.

• Weird. I experience nothing like this with Apple devices ??‍♂️ My touch is never seen as a swipe unless I actually swipe. So I still don’t understand, what you are referring to. Angle or no angle.

• Some of the things Apple does badly (in case Kemper engrs are reading this):

1) When you press your finger onto the screen, they read this too fast. So as your finger smushes into the screen they read this as a swipe which results in the UI doing nothing or going into swipe mode and a phone getting tossed into a wall.

2) They have code that looks at the angle your finger is pressing. So in portrait mode your finger has to be in portrait mode also or no touch happens. This would make me smash my Kemper if I am balancing a guitar, wearing headphones, and reach over to make a change and it doesn't register because I am at a 15 degree angle.

I have never #1 in any disqualifying or even irritating amount.

I have never experienced #2 at all. Not once. And I’ve been using iPhones since the very first model.

• I could make a video showing the apple touch code and post it but it does not matter. The point is to let Kemper know not to code their display in this manner. You guys are getting off topic.

• I could make a video showing the apple touch code and post it but it does not matter. The point is to let Kemper know not to code their display in this manner. You guys are getting off topic.

I, on the other hand, would think that it would be cool to see ? I’m weird, I know ??‍♂️

• Funny how we’re so different in the way we experience stuff. I, on the other hand, love everything about the iPhone touch experience. In fact so much that I detect the smallest difference in touch feedback, when trying out a Samsung phone. I instantly feel that Apple’s touch are light years ahead regarding feeling. It’s so responsive.

And….the whole dumping a beer onto the Kemper at gigs is the worst argument ever. The smartphones of today are waterproof. So it’s no big deal really. And if you’re a pro and like you state, would have a rig without touchscreen, because it’s more “pro”, you would probably have a setup with a big flight case on wheels for your gear. Who is gonna dump a beer onto that?

iPhone are not magically waterproof it takes a lot of R&D tu accomplish that.

I play big outdoor shows on summer, touchscreen when it’s 40•Celsius with the sun simply burning everything and the change of humidity when the night is here is a no go for a touchscreen.

Why do you need a touchscreen?

• Is it time to tally yet? Here's the basics of what I got.

1. More effects.

2. A new profiling option for those hard to profile situations.

3. A smaller form factor version.

4. Dual cabs and/or dual amps. (3 would be ideal I think.)

5. Touch screen and physical controls.

6. Waterproof lol

• ....well.... Beer proof. No one drinks water in a bar...or if they do, the are unlikely to be drunk enough to spill it ?

• iPhone are not magically waterproof it takes a lot of R&D tu accomplish that.

I play big outdoor shows on summer, touchscreen when it’s 40•Celsius with the sun simply burning everything and the change of humidity when the night is here is a no go for a touchscreen.

Why do you need a touchscreen?

I assume you haven’t read my posts in general. I do not need a touchscreen on the Kemper. 1) I find the UI rather simple and fine 2) I only use the RM 3) If you need to, you have a choice of connecting an Apple device. So….I don’t care. But others care. My response regarding iPhone is actually only about the screen on the iPhone, since some people seem to find it bad. I simple just gave my thoughts about that. But regarding the iPhone and the waterproofing. I’ve seen a few iPhones being dropped into the water with no damage. Including the local harbor, where a diver had to put on his gear to get on the bottom. I would consider that rather waterproof and being able to withstand a beer, like someone complained about. I don’t know about humidity though. I would expect the problem to be less about a waterproof screen and more about a device, which can’t handle being in the sun and since it’s constructed of metal and that it expands/contracts due to temperatures the device may undergo slight changes to its structure. But that’s a guess. I highly doubt that the screen is to blame.

• For most of the people that can play mostly powerchords or they just look for "this" sound, Kemper 1 is overkill. Learn how to play and enjoy the music. Device is always secondary to your abilities and fun that comes from music enjoyment. You won't be happy with 3 profiles at once, 8" touch screen and what not. The answer lies in appreciating what you have and what you can do with it. If you look for happiness, you will never find it.

• I don't get these threads. My Kemper does everything I want it to do. People keep asking for features that the Fractal units have. They are completely different units with completely different designs. There isn't one end all be all unit. I think the Kemper sounds fantastic and really don't want it to be just like a Fractal unit. I like that they are different. To me, the Kemper still does a much better job of reproducing the sound of the amp than any other unit on the market that I have tried, not that I have tried a lot of them. I am not saying this to get a fight started, but, if this unit doesn't do everything you want it to do, it may not be the right unit for you and that is okay. Buy what fits your needs. All of these modern day units are very capable of making awesome sounds.

• And I do get these threads - we all have different needs, love this hardware, want it to be better and not share the fate of Virus. As much as KPA sounds and feels great its hardware is outdated and due for revision (I'm talking about Toaster). Audio via USB is a standard and useful feature nowadays. Startup time of over a minute sucks big time (during my latest gig we managed to blow up fuse and power down the whole stage) - when we got power back all devices, except my KPA, were ready to go within 10 - 15 seconds, KPA needed over a minute. UI is noticeably slow on Toaster when you compare it with... pretty much any gear produced in last 5-7 years.

KPA Stage is a step forward in a sense that its main CPU is much faster, but still misses modern means of sending audio to / from computer. Not to mention that lack of MIDI via USB (every single device which as USB port I came across do it - KPA chooses to stay behind, for reason I just don't get).

I care less about touch-screen, although it would be a good addition. I have a few synths, some with touch screen, some without - the one with touch screen is way more convenient to use. But synths have very deep structure to tweak - KPA is super simple, so touch screen wouldn't probably help much.