Kemper Profiling Amp Successor

• All an H9 Max is an H9 with all existing algorithms pre loaded and any new ones free.

Why would they use a new processor to do the exact same job?

Availability. While I could be wrong about Eventides business reason for discontinuing the H9 and H9 Core, if you can't get the processor, you can't get it.

If you assumption is that Eventide wouldn't want to make a new revision with the same sonic characteristics of the old one, then I think you are incorrect. Once you have enough processing, more doesn't give you a better sound. It DOES let you use a more powerful algorithm and a more powerful algorithm could sound better.... but not always.

VST plug-ins are a good example. Does a specific VST plug-in sound better in a faster PC? Nope.

Without seeing the chips inside the H9 Max, I can't really know for sure, but this statement:

" In addition, due to supply chain disruptions and component shortages exacerbated by the COVID pandemic, we will no longer produce the standard H9 and H9 Core after 2020. "

It certainly sounds like a supply issue.

I believe that the KPA2 will be the same. The algorithms for the amp, cab, and the latest efx are already industry leading. Faster processing isn't going to make them too much better (insignificant IMO). I believe the KPA2 will be more about additional features, and greater capability.

Also, your assumption that an H9 Max is just an H9 with all existing algorithms preloaded is likely incorrect. If that were the case, they could have offered a paid firmware update and achieved a higher profit margin on the sale. Show me an image of the two inside and I can tell for sure.

• Also, your assumption that an H9 Max is just an H9 with all existing algorithms preloaded is likely incorrect. If that were the case, they could have offered a paid firmware update and achieved a higher profit margin on the sale. Show me an image of the two inside and I can tell for sure.

If you own a Max and a Core, you can use all of the algorithms from the Max on the Core, without any issue or compromise. The likelihood is that a Core is a Max, and a Max is a Core - just with different printing on the case and a different SKU for the retail channel.

• Also, your assumption that an H9 Max is just an H9 with all existing algorithms preloaded is likely incorrect. If that were the case, they could have offered a paid firmware update and achieved a higher profit margin on the sale. Show me an image of the two inside and I can tell for sure.

They are literally identical. You absolutely CAN update an H9 to MAX. At least you could. I know this first hand.

My $.02 on the topic at hand is this: I personally don't need a KPA V.2 nor do I pine for different hardware, necessarily. Sure, my inner gadget geek would want it if it came out, but I don't feel like the original is lacking in any meaningful way. I would LOVE to be able to load two amps in a single rig, that would be sick. But I bet that's possible with it as is (note: possible, not likely).

IMO it's kind of like asking Marshall to "get with the times" and have blinking disco lights when you change channels. Marshall does what they do, and for the folks that want what they do, there's nothing that will substitute. They don't need to do something else.

Just a guy who plays a little bit of guitar.

• I agree.

I dont want a shit ton of effects and stuff.

I get it. Gigging people may do.

I'd like a longer looper.

And the pitch shift warbling pisses me off.

I'd also like abit more control with panning effects.

But other than that I'm good with the kemper.

I've got from a rack guy to a minimalist because of the kemper and I think im a better player because of it.

For the home studioist I would double track the guitar part If I wanted a dual amp guitar tone.

I'm not being anti in anyway... I just think its getting to the point where people will want the kit to play the guitar for them in a minute via brain waves.

And set itself up.

Always remember the player with a shitty amp and setup that blows you away.

Thats the magic.

• My vote is no need for a "Kemper II" as I see no way of improving sounds that sound indiscernible from the amp you profiled through a microphone. Sure the UI could be improved, but if it's too easy it might take the fun out of it! I like simple now. I'm a sound first, UI second person. I came from an era that had rigs so complicated, if you had a couple beers you would be screwed troubleshooting it. Kemper is like an amp with 3 knobs in comparison as far as ease of use. If there ever is a Kemper II, people will still not be happy and want Kemper III so they can tell everyone that they ditched their old Kemper II for a Kemper III and everything is great now, until they get bored with that. When I bought my Kemper I was just looking for a way to get any sound I wanted fast and save it to gig with. I have that, I'm happy as I am my 38 year old Marshalls. Good sound never gets old.

I've got from a rack guy to a minimalist because of the kemper and I think im a better player because of it.

Same here, I am capable of and have managed many super complicated switching system, programmed midi rigs.

With my Kemper, my focus is always about playing more than tweaking trying to get a good sound with perfect feel. I play almost every night, and I can just fire up my Kemper and know I'm going to have a sound I don't think of tweeking for a second, It becomes all about what I am playing and how well I'm playing it. No fault can come from the amp. Everything is about you and the profiles you choose. I feel like someone can play any electric guitar sound for me and I can replicate it so close, the player would expose the differences more than the tone differentiating them.

• Another smooth move would be to release a new model that uses the old footswitch controller, then do the floor model. I'm more than okay if that was done in reverse tho too.

That raises the question, who here would need/want the new unit to have a new foot controller? More buttons? For sure more customisable assignablility. New functions?

Curious...

• Another smooth move would be to release a new model that uses the old footswitch controller, then do the floor model. I'm more than okay if that was done in reverse tho too.

That raises the question, who here would need/want the new unit to have a new foot controller? More buttons? For sure more customisable assignablility. New functions?

Curious...

I like the old remote. Enough switches to shake a stick at, and it's very portable. But I wouldn't say no to a new one with a more high-def screen.

Curious...

I also like buttons and the layout as it is. If it was customisable like in the Helix I would use the remote's layout with only few differences - if any. Good to have customisation, though, if a situation, setlist etc. should require.

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

• Silly question. For all the people who are so against any modern improvements and think the current hardware is fine, why be so against an update for the rest of us? Keep what you have. A KPA MK2 doesn't mean you have to buy it. Tons of gear makers support the legacy products while creating new ones.

But you're kidding yourself if you think that KPA doesn't need hardware and UI updates to stay competitive in the market and get new customers.

• I’ve never said I’d be opposed to updates in hardware or the addition of new features. Just that many of the seeming must-haves are either unlikely or at odds with Kemper’s approach going back to the first Virus synth in 1997.

I think Kemper would argue the need for a new UI and hardware. At least for the moment. The Stage was a huge success. At launch it offered effectively the same UI in a different shape.

I’m not saying I’m opposed to any of it. Just that what currently exists appears to compete just fine. Warts and all.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• We're spinning in circles. This thread is about feature requests for a new Kemper generation and about bringing together all the dream features and suggestions. It's not about if some do not need them and it's not about if the company thinks if the requesters want too much or not or if it fits markets. Nobody can look into Christoph's head.

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

• I get your point.

And you are right.

Progress doesnt stop.

If kemper can profile amps im sure they could profile pick ups.

So you could have any pick up you wanted in any position in any guitar.

I was just saying where does it stop.

• We're spinning in circles. This thread is about feature requests for a new Kemper generation and about bringing together all the dream features and suggestions. It's not about if some do not need them and it's not about if the company thinks if the requesters want too much or not or if it fits markets. Nobody can look into Christoph's head.

Funny how we seem to wander off that line of thinking ;).

• Kemper is near perfect :love:- and I think the Kones took it to 9.5/10.

My wishlist:

1. I'd like left and right VU meters.
    2. Visual Spectrum Analyzer! (that would be a first)
    3. Stereo powered Amp (two outputs) built in.
    4. A way cataloging your amps on device (w/o) rig manager - e.g. hierarchical defined by user! Marshalls, Voxes, Fenders and then under these maybe 800, 900, SIlver Jublie etc
    5. Sorry - I think the Rig Manager UI sucks - take a look at Axe FX, QC etc.
    6. Related to Rig Manager, but an intelligent controller that works with rig manager.
    7. More Imprints (maybe - but I like the current ones) - or ability to add our own
    8. Bit more clarity when we need Cabinet Off and other related settings etc - its a bit confusing with the Kones.
    9. Stereo Effects Loop at same time as Stereo Monitoring.
    10. Plug-in architecture so 3rd party certified effects can be added.
    11. Kemper PC/Mac - a software version of Kemper w/DSP !
  • Silly question. For all the people who are so against any modern improvements and think the current hardware is fine, why be so against an update for the rest of us? Keep what you have. A KPA MK2 doesn't mean you have to buy it. Tons of gear makers support the legacy products while creating new ones.

But you're kidding yourself if you think that KPA doesn't need hardware and UI updates to stay competitive in the market and get new customers.

I am not against KPA2, I think current hardware is fine. I am not kidding myself, I don't think KPA needs hardware and UI updates. Maybe they also don't need to stay competitive in the market by releasing new ULTRA FINAL MK2 version of their gear. Kemper is good as it is from day 1 with software update through the years. I remember AXE FX 2 and their Quantum (or similar) firmware which supposed to be groundbreaking. But it became legacy and meh just after the release of next firmware and later next hardware. And this will be the same when AXE4 comes out. All the boys playing powerchords will have to get AXE4, because it will make them play better and this will be the best gear in the world (until AXE5).

This chase never ends.

• I am not against KPA2, I think current hardware is fine. I am not kidding myself, I don't think KPA needs hardware and UI updates. Maybe they also don't need to stay competitive in the market by releasing new ULTRA FINAL MK2 version of their gear. Kemper is good as it is from day 1 with software update through the years. I remember AXE FX 2 and their Quantum (or similar) firmware which supposed to be groundbreaking. But it became legacy and meh just after the release of next firmware and later next hardware. And this will be the same when AXE4 comes out. All the boys playing powerchords will have to get AXE4, because it will make them play better and this will be the best gear in the world (until AXE5).

This chase never ends.

Why are you being snooty about power chords?

• Hi,

for one which doesn't have any Kemper yet , would it be wise to buy Kemper now or is it better to wait after the NAMM on June?

Thanks

• Hi,

for one which doesn't have any Kemper yet , would it be wise to buy Kemper now or is it better to wait after the NAMM on June?

Thanks

Depends on which model you are looking at. The Stage is not that old. Hard to see a new version of the Stage being released anytime soon. But maybe? Never hurts to wait I guess.

• would it be wise to buy Kemper now or is it better to wait after the NAMM on June?

If you like what it does now and if you want it now and if you can afford it now ... buy now.

The long time users here have seen myriads of users asking the same question over the last 8 years. Why wait? It will still do the same for you after NAMM. Playing it is so much more fun than waiting for something nobody knows if it ever happens and what it might be.