Kemper into Mesa Recto-verb 25 Effects Return Issue

• Recently tried to connect my Kemper monitor out into my Mesa Recto-verb 25 effects return. I have Kemper set to “cab-off” on monitor out and have the master volume linked. The master volume on the Mesa and the Kemper have no effect. Master volume on the Kemper set to zero still allows the guitar signal through. Also, there is some hum/feedback present which I assume is from the Mesa power amp section running full power ?‍♂️ The master volume on the Mesa appears to have no effect on the power section. Really stick scratching my head here lol Any thoughts ?

• Why are you wanting to use the Kemper that way? I don't understand what the purpose is of running into another amp's effect loop. The effects loop is mostly used for time based effects and verbs. The Kemper has wonderful effects for that. Am I missing something here?

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I am using the mesa’s power amp to drive my 4x12 using the Kemper as the preamp (using effects return input). It is common practice and even mentioned in the Kemper manual. I have a frfr speaker and a bam200 I run through a 4x12. Wanted to try the Kemper with a tube power amp. The Kemper master volume actually worked tonight for some strange reason with no changes in settings or equipment made. To be honest this was the best my Kemper ever sounded as I couldn’t care less about accurately reproducing a specific amp as I know a tube power section will color the tone, I just want good tone. The Mesa power section did not disappoint and I am glad I tried it.

• Sorry that is what I meant, the Monitor volume linked to the master volume. I have it working now, although I didn’t change anything other than rebooting the Kemper. Tried the ground lift with no luck. I did plug the Kemper into the main input of the Mesa with no hum so the hum must be from the effects loop on the mesa.

• glad you got it working but confused about what was actually causing the problem.

I have no idea but it hasn’t happened since which is good. The problem with the hum still persists though. I tried a Friedman Be-od through the mesa effects return with the same cables and guitar and the hum is not present. Ground lift on the Kemper Monitor out had no effect either. Any thoughts on what may be causing this ?

• I am using the mesa’s power amp to drive my 4x12 using the Kemper as the preamp (using effects return input). It is common practice and even mentioned in the Kemper manual. I have a frfr speaker and a bam200 I run through a 4x12. Wanted to try the Kemper with a tube power amp. The Kemper master volume actually worked tonight for some strange reason with no changes in settings or equipment made. To be honest this was the best my Kemper ever sounded as I couldn’t care less about accurately reproducing a specific amp as I know a tube power section will color the tone, I just want good tone. The Mesa power section did not disappoint and I am glad I tried it.

We do not recommend running the PROFILER amp simulation - which does include a tube power amp - through another physical tube amp. Tube amps do color the tone and this way you color the tone twice. Perhaps you like the result, however at least it's not authentic. We do not describe this set up in any current manual.

• Can confirm that the kemper sounds and feels better into tube poweramp.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Brought the Rectoverb back. Picked up a Fryette Powerstation PS2a. All I can say is amazing. No hiss present and my Kemper never sounded as good. Next up, Non powered Kemper kab whenever they get them back in stock.