Kemper commercial profile questions on Amp Volume

• I noticed in buying commercials profiles over the last year…

Some leave amp volume on “0’…while others have it as high as “3”…

I understand on trying to match levels let’s say a clean or distorted tone…

Do profiles sound better with higher amp volume… going to FOH?
    I originally thought I would you just adjust my monitor volume?

• I have never understood why some vendors boost the amp volume in their rigs. One well known Dutch vendor who makes awesome profiles sometimes boosts his by massive amounts. The first thing I have to do with his packs is reset all the amp volumes to 0 to make them sit right with other rigs.

I can only assume it is because of the way our ears perceive louder sounds as “better” sounds. Therefore, when browsing a batch of rigs, when we land on a louder rig we think it sounds better. However, then you get into a rig volume war which eventually end up with all rigs boosted to the max value.

According to ckemper and Burkhard the Amp volume has no effect on amp sound and is no different than boosting the Rig Volume.

My own experiments confirm this EXCEPT when there is an effect after the Amp which is volume sensitive (boost, OD, compressor). In this case boosting the amp volume has an effect on the sound of the effect downstream. Try it with a compressor to test yourself. Then remove the compressor and try it with a modulation/delay/reverb effect, you should hear a difference with the Compressor but not the Modulation/Delay/etc

...when there is an effect after the Amp which is volume sensitive (boost, OD, compressor). In this case boosting the amp volume has an effect on the sound of the effect downstream. Try it with a compressor to test yourself. Then remove the compressor and try it with a modulation/delay/reverb effect, you should hear a difference with the Compressor but not the Modulation/Delay/etc

100%. Try putting a Treble Booster in an effects slot and you can "tickle the red" on the output of the LED. Sounds badass! The booster post-stack will give you more clarity in tone too but may not be what you want on high gain riffing.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• 100%. Try putting a Treble Booster in an effects slot and you can "tickle the red" on the output of the LED. Sounds badass! The booster post-stack will give you more clarity in tone too but may not be what you want on high gain riffing.

I use the treble booster post… it is a great trick… good for solo boosting also…