EVH Phaser What's yours?

• I'm one of those guys that always appreciated the magic of the first 2 Van Halen album guitar sounds. No, I haven't spent my life searching for the tones , just a big fan. I have however been a big fan of the way he used and the sound of his MXR PH90 pedal and how I could tell where he placed it in his chain made a lot of difference. I have a mint 74's Script pedal, a 75 block logo and spent a considerable amount of time listening to VH1 and thought I would dial in a EVH phase sound that was close. (Of course chain placement has a big effect on mix as well as depth) I never AB'd these directly when I came up with settings just used my memory (though they would have likely been closer if I did) I am pretty happy with this. I feel it is closer than the "eddy" preset that comes with the Kemper or most "brown sound" packs. What do you think? Do you have settings you think are closer you would share?

Settings not shown are set at 0

Place in stomps section pre amplifier.

Rate 3.2

Depth 6.6

Manual 6.1

Feedback 5%

stages 4

Mix 59

Edited once, last by Dynochrome: Clarified placement. ().

• I like the Kemper phaser in the effects slot so it does not sound as wishy-washy as in the stomp section. I will try your settings today and see how it sounds.

I favor the first album because that's the sound I remember blowing everyone away.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I like the Kemper phaser in the effects slot so it does not sound as wishy-washy as in the stomp section. I will try your settings today and see how it sounds.

I favor the first album because that's the sound I remember blowing everyone away.

I think we have spoken about our different opinions about this before. IMO modulations are way too pronounced post amp. I only use post amp modulations if I needed something dramatic and pronounced like "unchained" flange. Guessing Eddie plugged his guitar into his flanger then phaser (thus pre amp) but I have seen diagrams where the flange and phase input come from the direct box (post amp). Regardless to my ears, his effects sound pre amp and more "part of" the sound. IMO post amp modulations aren't as blended and "baked in". Maybe this is what you mean by "wishy-washy", but phasers sound to "zippery" to me post amp. Try my settings in a stomp, and in FX , add a light slap delay 1-1/2 repeats around 340 (I think I'll check) with some reverb and tell me what you think. The delay will make the reverb more pronounced so you can use less of it.

• I had to read it three times before I understood. At first I thought I was stupid but no it wasn't that obvious. Obvious for you but not for whippinpost91850 or me or maybe more that are ashamed to admit it. :D Anyway thanks I will give it a try even though I never been a VH fan or even EVH fan. :)

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau