Help needed to record to pro tools 12

• Hi all,

just bought a Kemper Profiler Rack and I am wanting to record with it in Pro Tools via my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. I have the SPDIF output on the Kemper linked to the SPDIF input on the Focusrite.

When I open up pro tools I do not have SPDIF as an option for an audio track input.

I try and reset the I/O in pro tools but SPDIF doesn’t show up.

on the Focusrite Control program, next to Digital I/O is (Device Restart Required), but I don’t know how to do this.

It’s annoying as I can hear the Kemper through the speakers linked to my Focusrite but it looks like I can’t record from it via SPDIF.

can anybody help or shed some light on what is going wrong here?

• To restart the device, turn it off and then on, or unplug and plug back USB. If that doesn't work then do a computer reboot.

Create a track in your DAW and select the SPDIF as the input. You may have to go into the DAW Preferences and look up the Audio Device Input and Output ranges. For example, if you have 4 inputs, you would make the input range of the first one #1 and the last one #4. If you just use SPDIF as the only input then the range is first one = SPDIF IN and last one= SPDIF IN. I use Reaper with a Motu so your labels might be labeled differently.

You also have to make sure your mapping is correct for the SPDIF in and out from the Focusrite Control Panel.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I have tried the whole switching stuff on and off again, but it still comes up with restart required on the control app.

Sadly SPDIF is not an option as it’s not being picked up as an I/O option from the Focusrite. I’m assuming this is due to issues going on with the control app.

for now I’ll just record via XLR Main Outs straight into my AU inputs

• Check out this toot (tutorial) to see if it helps. Also make sure your Focusrite Control app is updated.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I had to get my head around this software too. The Focusrite interfaces are great, but I never really understood why we needed this application instead of some straightforward drivers.

Surely input 1 on the interface should just be input 1 in whatever DAW you are using and so on. I eventually came across a preset for my Saffire Pro 40 that enabled that through this software.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• If PT is anything like Cubase you need to go into PT and add spdif as an input option. I wouldn't look anywhere else.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM