Lost hard drive: now Kemper not recognized by my new Windows 10 install

• I downloaded Rig Manager but I am still getting "unrecognized USB device" when I plug in my Kemper toaster to my PC. I can run Rig manager but my Kemper will NOT show up. That said...it WILL tell me that my Kemper needs an OS update and I attempt to do it (and i see the update starting on my Kemper) but it fails.

My OS is 8.6.6.32765 and I'm running the latest version of Rig manager.

Any suggestions as to what may be going on?

• How are you connecting a USB cable from the Kemper to the computer? You don't connect it to the front of the toaster. You use a USB/Printer cable that attaches the "square-ish" end to the back of Kemper and the regular USB end to your Computer USB port.

The front USB of Kemper is only to insert a thumb drive in for backup, transfer, and OS updates.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Try updating manually with a USB stick.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• OS 8.6.6 is already our latest release revision.

OS 8.6.6 requires at least Rig Manager revision 3.2.57.

Regardless of your PROFILER model you need to connect your PC with its USB A socket to the USB B socket in the back of the PROFILER. It's like with any other powered storage device. There is a picture illustrating this in the printed Quick Start manual that comes with the product.

• How are you connecting a USB cable from the Kemper to the computer? You don't connect it to the front of the toaster. You use a USB/Printer cable that attaches the "square-ish" end to the back of Kemper and the regular USB end to your Computer USB port.

The front USB of Kemper is only to insert a thumb drive in for backup, transfer, and OS updates.

Thanks. I'm connected with the USB cable from my computers USB port to the back of the Kemper (square port). Just like i have been doing it since I got it. It worked fine before the new windows build. I've tried moving around to a different USB port on the computer with no luck.

I have to believe there is something with the driver not loading properly or Windows missing something thats not allowing the driver to load properly.

• Thanks. I'm connected with the USB cable to the back of the Kemper. Just like i have been doing it since I got it. It worked fine before the new windows build.

I have to believe there is something with the driver not loading properly or Windows missing something thats not allowing the driver to load properly.

I updated from Win 7 to Win 10 about a year ago and had no problem. The Kemper should be auto-recognized since there is no specific driver to install or uninstall. I have my Kemper always plugged into the Computers USB port. When I turn on the Kemper, Windows will sound a notification that the Kemper is connected once the profiler finishes it's startup process. On Win 10, right click the "square box" icon on the end of the taskbar and select "Open action center" to check Notifications and see if it reports an error on the Kemper connection.

If you have no errors, check for a bad (loose) connection on both ends of the USB. Try another USB cable and/or port. Try connecting to a laptop or other computer to test connectivity.

If all else fails, contact Kemper Support. They may ask you to send them some debug text files so they can see how the Kemper OS is working.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Thanks. I'm connected with the USB cable from my computers USB port to the back of the Kemper (square port). Just like i have been doing it since I got it. It worked fine before the new windows build. I've tried moving around to a different USB port on the computer with no luck.

Have you checked if and how the PROFILER appears in the Windows Device Manager? "Kemper Profiler" should appear amongst Audio, Video and Game Controllers. There you can check it's state.

• Have you checked if and how the PROFILER appears in the Windows Device Manager? "Kemper Profiler" should appear amongst Audio, Video and Game Controllers. There you can check it's state.

So a couple of things. When I launch Rig Manager I am getting an error that states "No driver could be found for your profiler. Please Reinstall Rig Manager". I have done that and see the same issue.

When i look at device manager, under Sound, Video and Game controllers...I see my Behinger U-Phoria driver, Intel display audio and Realtek high definition audio. Thats it.

• 1. Unplug the Kemper from your computer.

2. Update the Kemper OS via a USB drive and wait for it to finish, the Kemper will reboot it's self.

3. Once the update is finished and the Kemper has rebooted, turn off the Kemper.

4. Uninstall Rig Manager, reboot your computer and then reinstall Rig Manager.

5. Close Rig Manager.

6. Plug the Kemper back into your computer via USB.

7. Turn on the Kemper and wait for it to boot.

8. Open Rig Manger and it should connect to the Kemper.

• Just have to ask, are you sure or is this just something I should try? I ask as Burkhard said earlier I'm at a the version (8.6.6) that should be supported by the latest Rig Manager. And my OS didnt change...

I have not updated firmware via USB for awhile. Are there instructions?

• You should definitely try this. Not guaranteed to work though.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Just have to ask, are you sure or is this just something I should try? I ask as Burkhard said earlier I'm at a the version (8.6.6) that should be supported by the latest Rig Manager. And my OS didnt change...

I have not updated firmware via USB for awhile. Are there instructions?

Ok. I missed that you were on the latest version.

Try:

1. Turn off Kemper and unplug Kemper from your computer

2. Uninstall Rig Manager, reboot, reinstall.

3. Plug Kemper into computer.

4. Turn on Kemper, wait for it to fully start up.

5. Start Rig Manager.

Edited once, last by texhex ().

• Pretty much what i"ve done each time but went step by step this time and same thing. "No driver can be found for your rig manager. Please resinstall rig manager".

• Maybe you have tried already but it is worth checking alternative connections. Sometimes a device will not work or be recognised when plugged into in a particular port or a particular cable starts acting up. It is worth trying other ports and cables.

If you look at your hardware in device manager you can usually see that there are multiple USB hubs on a PC system. You might get some information about what is going on with the USB port you are using there. The other thing is that you can remove or disable a hub in device manager and then Windows will find it again after a reboot and functionality which has gone AWOL temporarily will return. I have followed directions of this kind from online windows problem solving sites (possibly Microsoft) to get a thumb drive going again but not the KPA.

• Maybe you have tried already but it is worth checking alternative connections. Sometimes a device will not work or be recognised when plugged into in a particular port or a particular cable starts acting up. It is worth trying other ports and cables.

If you look at your hardware in device manager you can usually see that there are multiple USB hubs on a PC system. You might get some information about what is going on with the USB port you are using there. The other thing is that you can remove or disable a hub in device manager and then Windows will find it again after a reboot and functionality which has gone AWOL temporarily will return. I have followed directions of this kind from online windows problem solving sites (possibly Microsoft) to get a thumb drive going again but not the KPA.

Thanks. Yep I'd tried that already. Moved it around to multiple ports and tried a different cable.

Yeah, I've read a little about the usb hubs on the pc system. There is nothing that jumps out at me though as wrong. I'd defintely delete one of the hubs if i knew it would come back after a reboot.

I guess I'm going to have to check in with Kemper support.

• I had such a problem once with another USB device. After a lot of trial and error, it turned out that dust had accumulated in a USB socket, which prevented a reliable connection. I had to remove this manually (without tension, of course) with tweezers, after which everything worked again.

Try a different cable would also make sense.
    Furthermore, the USB management of the operating system could be faulty, there are good tools from Uwe Sieber.
    You should always make a complete disk image beforehand.

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/misc_tools_e.html

• I had such a problem once with another USB device. After a lot of trial and error, it turned out that dust had accumulated in a USB socket, which prevented a reliable connection. I had to remove this manually (without tension, of course) with tweezers, after which everything worked again.

Try a different cable would also make sense.
    Furthermore, the USB management of the operating system could be faulty, there are good tools from Uwe Sieber.
    You should always make a complete disk image beforehand.

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/misc_tools_e.html

I'll check this out. My Kemper sits in a hard case that has foam padding all around it. I cut out the rectangle for my kemper and pedalboard...so there IS sometimes little chunks of stuff floating around. Good idea.