What on earth is Pure Cabinet?

• I’m gonna use SPACE as a global option for my next rehearsal (straight to FOH).

As I’m not a fan of reverbs for live use (except where the songs really need it of course) I’m gonna try it at a low level (3.5 or less if I remember well) to just the rigs a little « room » without having to sacrifice a block for a really small reverb.

Anyone tried that?

the issue with stereo effects at live shows is that often the mix is in mono anyway and even if it is in stereo, only the audience standing in the middle will get the full stereo effect - stand to either side and one channel will be much louder, as the other channel is being attenuated.

• Space is indispensable for me. I run a stereo jack from my headphone jack to my in ear setup (so i don’t have to ask the sound guy for myself, but just a mix of the rest of the band. )

So i get that nice sensation of “not too direct guitar” in my inears.

Pure Cab….. I am kinda torn. Even before i went Kemper i was an inear player. I used a rig based around my Marshall jmp1 preamp, and used the speaker emulator outputs for the FOH and inear sound. Btw, that was an awesome piece of gear, and the emulated outputs sounded great. So i have kinda gotten used to that “line in sound in my ear”. That means “no pure cabinet” type of sound. I feel like i am loosing a bit of the “initial transient” with the pure cab on. BUT i can hear why it sounds nice, and i think i should just try playing with it for a month or two, and then decide.

OT: Fun jmp1 direct sound story. About 30 years ago, way before playing without cabs miked was mainstream, i played a big national tv show. The sound tech had NEVER before been presented with two cables for left and right and a request to NOT have the cab miked. He was dead against it. Flatly refused. So i said to him (being only 19 years and stubborn) just do it, if you then hate it, then mike the cabs. So he grudgingly agreed. After one runthrough he came back and humbly said he never had an easier sound check in regards to guitar sound. He didn’t have to do anything but set a level. And ofcourse wanted to know more about this piece of wonderous gear, that sounded great, and made his life much easier.

Now here is the point of the story; how things have changed. Here 30 years later, sound techs just love when you give them a left right signal and that’s that. Oh how times have changed. For the better.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.