Help with Kemper/Scarlett 18i20 and reaper?

• I'm new to all of this, I'm trying to run my Kemper through the Scarlett 18i20 through the S/PDIF I/O and then I'm using Reaper for DAW.

It records fine when I plug my guitar directly into the interface but just clean and when I switch to the input on my Kemper reaper doesn't pick up the signal.

How should I connect everything in the proper way so that I'm actually able to record I guess is what I'm trying to ask?

Again, I'm a complete beginner to this and I apologize for the lack of cable management, it's coming soon.

• If you use 1 S/PDIF cable only, you need to make sure that the Scarlett is sync'd to the incoming signal. In other words, the Profiler must be the master and the audio interface has to slave to it.

Thanks for responding but like I said, I'm new to all of this stuff and everything you just said to me just sounded like word soup. I'll preface again and say "I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!" haha but again thank you for responding

• https://d2zjg0qo565n2.cloudfro…te-control-user-guide.pdf

Go to page 29 and see the little screenshot.

In the box called Clock Source you need to pick S/PDIF.

If you want to run your audio interface with the Profiler off or disconnected, switch back the Clock Source to Internal.

General recommendation:

If you don't know what you're doing, stick with analog audio. Buy two cables XLR female -> TRS and connect the Profiler Main Outputs to 2 line inputs of your Scarlett. Then you don't have to worry about digital audio clock, sync, sample rate and so on. ;)

• Thank you! I'll give that a try and see how I fair

• You do NOT need XLR for going into your interface. TS cables work perfectly fine and you don't have to worry if the interface turns on phantom power automatically for XLR's.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Do the cables need to be XLR female? There are 2x normal jack outputs on the KPA.

The XLR female -> TRS cables are the best way to connect your Profiler's analog line output to your audio interface, no matter what others say.

These cables provide a balanced connection which dramatically reduces the chance of interference (e.g. hum or other noise).

Of course you can also use TS cables but with the risk of getting these mentioned issues that are not present in balanced audio.

TS cables work perfectly fine and you don't have to worry if the interface turns on phantom power automatically for XLR's.

Not an issue with the cables I recommend because they don't connect to the mic preamp of the audio interface. And there's no audio interfaces that turn on phantom power automatically either.

• Well, I don't have noise and hum issues so TS is perfectly fine. But I will correct my statement to say "XLR may not be necessary". I also assume most guitarist have a slew of TS cables lying around as compared to XLR.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.