Am I crazy

• Hey guys,

I've been thinking about selling my powered Rack and remote. I've got a stage that I bought for convenience for rehearsals and as a backup.

The stage is as reliable as the Rack so i'm wondering if I would ever use the stage live.

I had a Hx stomp first for the same reason but wanted to have the same sounds so got a stage as well.

This is pure luxury, I wonder if some of you had the same thoughts as I have ...

I'd get a decent poweramp + something like a Hx stomp/Headrush tiny thing as a real backup that I'd take with me ...

Thx

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• Of course having a Stage (or a secong Kemper of any kind) as a backup is certainly the best scenario if you can afford it. It is not the lightest compact solution thought... My backup is a simple Zoom MS-50 with a Disaster area Midi Baby 3 midi controller. It is super compact and very cheap and if my trusty Kemper head would fail (which never happened until now) I'm ready to go.

However I would add that if Kemper would release something like an HX Stomps format profiler I would most probably consider to buy it.

• Personally, unless you're a touring musician, I don't see the need for a rack and remote if the Stage is both together in one small, lightweight unit. Sell the rack and remote and switch to just using the Stage. The chances something will happen to your Stage at a gig are very slim, so a simple HX stomp as a backup sounds fine.

• Keep the rack in home studio and stage for... the stage. Then buy your wife a new toaster. Tell her it is for cooking songs.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Personally I love my powered rack and remote but I get the attraction to the Stage.

I think it comes down to how you want to monitor yourself live. I prefer the powered rack for some very simple reasons ( all are not deal breakers, just convenience):

1) I prefer to control my monitor on stage i.e. not use the PA monitors

2) I prefer powered so I don't have to have a separate power unit or powered cab.

3) I prefer not to need power at the front of the stage. At the moment I have 3 leads - power at back of stage ( where it always is), speaker cable and ethernet to the remote.

4) I like to control my on stage volume with the master volume, not with a powered cab ( to save leaning behind it to fiddle and get the volume right on his Alto's).

5) When I sometimes play festivals, I can just plug my rack straight into the on stage 4 x12. Mic lead straight into the rack, job done. Makes change overs so quick.

As a backup, I use a sans amp on the premise its only to get me to the end of the gig. So if my rig went down, I'd have to plug direct into the PA and have some fold back, so definitely more hassle BUT in 20 years, never used it. However I'd definitely consider the HX stomp as a backup.

As I said none of these are real issues, just my preference. I think if you like the stage form factor then no reason to keep the rack.

• Those are the exact reasons why I got a powered rack in the first place ... Now I only use it at home and take the stage with this small class D amp, and it does the job equally ...

I probably need to put the pro's and con's next to each other and see where the balance is leading to ...

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• If you can afford a STAGE and a RACK, then an HX stomp is bus fare. I would keep ALL. Because I would love a 2nd Kemper so I could profile my profiles 8o

Having an HX as a backup sounds like a good idea though. Small enough you could keep it with you on stage or stash easily so it doesnt come up missing at the gig.

• everyone has their own personal preferences for what works best for them. Personally I just can’t see the attraction of the stage. I dont see how it is any more portable, needs an external power amp and needs power and other cable lying around your feet front of stage. For me the the Power Head and Remote is the simplest most elegant setup of the all but at the end of the day you should go with your own gut.

in answer to your initial question “Am I Crazy?” The answer is “Of Course”. But we all are so just embrace it ?

• OK, small update , decided to sell the rack :) , it's sold and will be picked up in 2 weeks ...

The convenience of the remote and the cat5 is indeed nice, as well as the build in poweramp ...

But to me in the end there's power needed in front af the stage, only 1 instrument cable is going to the back (for now the TC BAM200)

So not to bad ...

Only need a standalone poweramp with a bit more headroom (perhaps a Seymor duncan 700 or an Orange pedal baby 100)

And looking for a pedalboard to fit 2 expression pedals, probably the pedal train Jr Max is the best option ...

Raf