Why do speakers have no bass run through Focusrite but fine direct from PC?

• Hi Everyone,

Bought a good set of speakers & subwoofer to play KPA and PC through, run via Focusrite 6i6.

Tested speakers today & they are immense direct from PC headphone socket. But to use the Focusrite I need to connect PC via USB right? And when I do that I have zero bass whatsoever - totally different (and unusable) sound.

Any ideas anyone???

• The pc headphone out could have a built in headphone amp plus the WinOS sound settings could be using the bass boost options and/or EQ for playback and the PC soundcard itself could be coloring the sound. The interface should give an un-amped non EQ flat sound so you can mix properly.

Did you get active Studio Monitors or desktop speakers?

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Desktop speakers plus subwoofer.

Kemper won't play through 6i6 either so I'm doing something wrong.

I have the KPA connected to the 6i6 from the MAIN OUTPUTS, into LINE INPUTS 1 & 2 on the 6i6, then the 6i6 to the AUX input of the Subwoofer (it is the hub & controls the satellite speakers).

6i6 to the speakers is done via a 1/4 inch cable output that has a RCA end - this goes into the AUX of the subwoofer. That cable works fine if unplugged & stuck into the headphone socket of the PC...

• You can use the 6i6 SPDIF to kemper SDPIF for your signal. You just have to map out those connections properly thru the Focusrite Control App.

Right now, make sure the 6i6 Line Inputs have the 'Inst" light on especially if you are using XLR instead of TS cables. The 48v should be off. The left and right Line Outs of the 6i6 should go into your left and right Inputs of the Sub. I assume your Sub powers the left and right satellites. That should be all you need to do. No other input or outputs are needed.

Edited once, last by BayouTexan ().

• Yes sub powers L & R.

I am not using SPDIF at moment - using regular XLR cables from the 2 main KPA outputs.

Sorry I'm being dumb - If I make the 6id have the inst light on - do the cables have to go into the 1 & 2 sockets on the front of the 6i6? I had em plugged into inputs 1 & 2 on the back.

• The inputs on the back are 3 and 4. The front is 1 and 2. Hook to front 1 and 2. When you load up your DAW you will go into Preferences and set the input range from "Focusrite input 1" to "Focusrite input 4" (or maybe it says "Input 1" and "Input 4", etc). (The naming might be different). When you want to hear sound from your PC (when not using DAW) you will need the interface on and plugged in and left click the speaker icon in taskbar then select Focusrite 1 and 2 (should be under 'Speakers Realtek" or similar).

• Really appreciate the help!

Now got the KPA coming through the 6i6 and the PC also.

But PC & KPA sound TERRIBLE. Nasally & trebly and honestly unusable. The subwoofer barely functions. Just high end. I can't see any way to mix the sound in the 6i6 - any ideas on that? I installed a program called Scarletrite Mix Control after reading the 6i6 manual but that says "no hardware installed".

• Only thing I can think of is the 6i6 -> speakers route.

I only use output 3 on the back - that is a 1/4 inch adapter that allows the 3.5mm-to-RCA cable from the speakers to link up. When the PC is connected (with great audio) there is only the 3.5mm-to-RCA cable into the PC.

Does the 6i6 need 2x outputs - if so then I would need to buy a cable that was 2 x 1/4 inch ends-to 2 x RCA.

• 1. PC & KPA sound TERRIBLE. Nasally & trebly and honestly unusable. The subwoofer barely functions. Just high end.

2. I installed a program called Scarletrite Mix Control after reading the 6i6 manual but that says "no hardware installed".

1. This might be some nasty phase cancelation. Probably wrong cables/wiring.

2. Maybe you have a Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen which requires a different software called Focusrite Control. The software called Scarlett Mix Control only works for the 1st Gen 6i6.

• It could also be a grounding issue like when you get when a car speaker is shorted. You must use the correct cables. IF your Sub takes only RCA connections then you need a RCA to TS cable x2. Like so...

https://www.sweetwater.com/sto…R110--hosa-cpr110-10-foot

You need to hook up to the front left and right Focusrite inputs right now to rule out other issues. Once you get the sound to work then you may be able to use the back inputs.

What brand of Sub is it so we can see the connections.

• Yes I think that might be it.

Sub is Edifier S350db.

The cable I have is a 3.5mm to 2 x RCA.

When I link PC to the speaker (i.e. The subwoofer hub) RCA sockets it works great.

When I fix the 3.5mm to a 1/4 adapter & insert that to output 3 on the 3i3, it is awful.

Is it the case that the 3i3 outputs are mono so I need to buy a dual cable that has 2 x 1/4 inch ends (for outputs 3 & 4 on 3i3) and 2 x RCA ends for the Edifier?

Thanks guys this is really appreciated.

• Yep. I see the Y-cable they give you. You would need to take the 3.5 stereo male plug and then plug it into a 3.5 stereo female that splits off into two separate left and right mono cables. Then each of those mono cables would go into the Line Outs of the focusrite. Or just get two RCA mono to TS mono cables to go to the Line Outs of focusrite.

• Makes sense. So crappy no bass sound a consequence of only getting half signal. Same way as headphones often give sound but very poor iv not fully inserted?

Have bought a 60cm cable that is dual 1/4 and RCA ends so that should hopefully do the trick then.

Again, hugely appreciated mate. I just want to crank the think as the sound (when correctly wired...) is massive.

• Quick note mate to say thanks.

Got correct cables today & it sounds epic. KPA through the speakers/woofer....wow. Had a Mesa mk2c profile that had never quits made it on the Kones & BOOM.

Now going to get rid of Kones (no need for em here in house) and swap for some Vintage 30s in cab & have 2 sets of profiles, one for fun at home & one for live with cabs switched off.

:thumbup: