Noob question #2: Kemper Powerhead into *passive* Atomic CLR FRFR ... what Kemper output and what cable?

• I had a thread a few days ago with this exact same question but for an *Active* Atomic CLR FRFR. I'm realizing I'm dumb (well, I didn't *just* realize that) and I actually bought a *passive* Atomic CLR FRFR. So my questions:

What output from Kemper: Speaker out (the red one)? Monitor? Main? Does it even matter? I assume I'll need the power amp "on" on the Kemper.

What cable? Assume I'll use speaker cable, yeah?

Thanks everyone. I *did* do some forum searching but couldn't find a definitive answer to this. I also know I should RTFM (read the fking manual!) but I've got a 60 hour/week job, 2 and 6 year olds, and our babysitter is out with COVID. So I'm a bit short on time. Thanks all!

• If the speaker is not powered you will need power so yes the red speaker out and speaker cable. Since it is flat response you will likely want to keep the speaker simulator on globally. You should really read the manual somewhat as there are several settings that work within a rig and some that work globally that if set incorrectly may produce less than stellar results. There are some places the manual is less than perfect but people will help you here normally. The designer will even help frequently. How often do you see that with a product?

• Thanks both. I'm fairly certain the Monitor out will also work just fine. I started digging into the manual (finally, I know). And found this:

--------------

The optional built-in power amplifier allows you to connect your PowerHead or PowerRack to 4, 8, and 16-ohms guitar cabinets, as well as unpowered full-range cabinets. It is cabled to the MONITOR OUTPUT internally, so all features of the MONITOR OUTPUT are applied to the internal power amplifier as well. Please refer to the MONITOR OUTPUT chapter of this manual for more detailed information.

----------------

• No, although the signal for the Monitor Output and Speaker Ouput are same up to the final stage th Monitor Output has no AMPLIFIER section so can’t drive a passive speaker. You use the Monitor Out for an Active Speaker (the amp is in the speaker) but Speaker Out for a Passive Speaker (the speaker doesn’t have its own amp so needs an already amplified signal).

When using the Speaker Output you MUST use a Speaker Cable and NOT a regular instrument cable or you run this risk of melting the cable and frying your amp (or worse).

• No, although the signal for the Monitor Output and Speaker Ouput are same up to the final stage th Monitor Output has no AMPLIFIER section so can’t drive a passive speaker. You use the Monitor Out for an Active Speaker (the amp is in the speaker) but Speaker Out for a Passive Speaker (the speaker doesn’t have its own amp so needs an already amplified signal).

When using the Speaker Output you MUST use a Speaker Cable and NOT a regular instrument cable or you run this risk of melting the cable and frying your amp (or worse).

Ah, thank you very much. Wow, that manual wording is incredibly misleading. The passage I posted literally talks about using Monitor Out with "unpowered full-range cabinets."

But cool cool - I'll use the Speaker Out with a Speaker Cable. Thank you!

• Ah, thank you very much. Wow, that manual wording is incredibly misleading. The passage I posted literally talks about using Monitor Out with "unpowered full-range cabinets."

But cool cool - I'll use the Speaker Out with a Speaker Cable. Thank you!

BTW its better that you bought the passive version as you don't need 2 amps :)

Have fun!!!