How to create and install Kemper packs

• Sorry, I have not been able to find any good info on this subject.

When you purchase a Kemper pack, the pack comes as a ZIP file with all of the amps, etc in one folder. There is also a second folder labelled _MacOS X that has the same files located in it. Mac versions I assume?

1) How do you create this ZIP file that contains both PC and Mac versions?

2) How do you install these packs?

I normally just open the ZIP file then Drag-and-Drop rigs in Rig Manager. From every video I have ever found, this seems to be the only way (using a computer)? Which I am fine with (prefer) but am confused why there are these fancy rig pack files.

If you look at the free Kemper made Rig Packs, the file has an SQLLite header meaning a person could probably open/edit/create similar packs if they wanted to put the time into it. Has anyone ever tried this or even talked about it?

• You can ignore the _MacOS folder - on Macs their file system enables storage of metadata associated with each file within the file itself, and when you copy these files to a non-Mac file system (like FAT32 or xFAT on USB drives), that metadata is placed into a separate file so that MacOS can read that data when reading the files off the non-Mac file system.

Any pack I've always unzipped into its own directory, then dragged those files into Rig Manager.

• What you mean with " fancy rig pack files"?

From MixMasterMike's response I am guessing the "fancy" rig pack files are ZIP files that are made using a Mac OS. So the Mac OS adds the _MacOSX folder with metadata files for each rig in the ZIP file.

I only use PC so I had no idea where these files came from. I could only assume they were from Macs.

• There is really no science behind it. MacOS folder just contain files for MacOS and the rest is for Windows. If you use Windows just ignore MacOS folder.

From MixMasterMike's response I am guessing the "fancy" rig pack files are ZIP files that are made using a Mac OS. So the Mac OS adds the _MacOSX folder with metadata files for each rig in the ZIP file.

I only use PC so I had no idea where these files came from. I could only assume they were from Macs.

• A zip file is just a folder with a compressor in front ;). Try to think of it like that. You don't install a zip file. You uncompress them (open the folder) so you can access/install the files inside. Try the free 7-Zip to extract and/or make your own compressed folders (zip files). You can add any type of files you want to them. It's up to the receiving OS to know what to do with them.

https://www.7-zip.org/

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• A zip file is just a folder with a compressor in front ;).

I was confused by two things:

1) The weird _MacOSX stuff. It seemed like all of the Kemper stuff I have seen has this folder. Clearly a lot of people making music have Macs. Personally I would not use a Mac ever for any reason. But many people say how great Logic is so maybe I should look into it :/

2) How to install packs. Zip files are ubiquitous. Programs use them all of the time. Video games like Quake III use them for game files going back to the 90's (renamed to PK3). Since they are so popular I was wondering if Rig Manager had code in place to deal with them directly. This would also make it easier to keep "PACKS" in their own container so they are not mixed in with the other profiles. So it seemed like there should be a way to INSTALL rig packs from the zip file. But no word was mentioned anywhere on how to do it.

Now the only question left is do I start writing SQL Lite code to make my own Kemper style packs 8)

• A Zip file is essentially a "folder containing files". Folders are used to organize. Since RM already organizes files then it only needs you to install the files themselves - drag n drop or import. Once you do this, RM will organize them. You can't install a folder (Zip file) to RM but you can install the files in that folder.

Don't think of it more than someone giving you an envelope of coins, and you need to take each coin out and place into the machine to get your piece of bubble gum.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.