Is there a pedal that you can use with your combo amp to switch between using a Kemper (Powered) into Return and going straight into amp?

• The use case would be being able to play out of your combo, like regular (not going through Kemper) ... but then switching over to the Kemper running into the effects Return loop as well (obviously a powered Kemper).

It has to be doable in theory, because the Victory V4 Preamps do exactly this if anyone has seen those.

• Sorry, that does make sense. I presume you have written something different from what you actually meant as you would never run a powered Kemper (powered output) into the retun of a combo which would completely blow the combo.

could you draw a quick diagram of how mean to connect the KPA and combo to help explain your scenario.

• A couple of simple answers, ignoring the idea of running a powered signal into an effect return (that would end badly):

The easiest would be if the combo effects loop was switchable. Kind of self explanatory but I bet that isn't an option or you'd have bagged the issue.

Another simple option would be to run something like the Radial A/B/Y box with A going to the amp input and B going to the Kemper. All you'd be doing is switching where the guitar signal goes.

Just a guy who plays a little bit of guitar.

• Sorry, that does make sense. I presume you have written something different from what you actually meant as you would never run a powered Kemper (powered output) into the retun of a combo which would completely blow the combo.

could you draw a quick diagram of how mean to connect the KPA and combo to help explain your scenario.

Sorry, monitor out, non-powered. Otherwise the same. People use KPA's into return of amp Fx all the time... so basically that but then also switching between regular amp in (no KPA).

Here is diagram.

• Sorry, monitor out, non-powered. Otherwise the same. People use KPA's into return of amp Fx all the time... so basically that but then also switching between regular amp in (no KPA).

Here is diagram.

The Radial box will do exactly that :thumbup:

• What radial box can do that? He has 2 cables coming out of the guitar? :D

I imagine that the "guitar" is actually an A/B (A/B/Y) pedal, but then you wouldn't need the "hypo switcher" at all.

Maybe you need a new diagram? I am... :/

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• What radial box can do that? He has 2 cables coming out of the guitar? :D

I imagine that the "guitar" is actually an A/B (A/B/Y) pedal, but then you wouldn't need the "hypo switcher" at all.

Maybe you need a new diagram? I am... :/

That was to illustrate the 2 paths. Made the diagram in 10 seconds. The box is doing the switching and it is 1 guitar cord obviously. Here is updated diagram (with a picture of a guitar cable to help clarify!) This is exactly what Victory V4 preamps do.

• The problem with the A/B/Y switch is that if the combo’s FX loop isn’t footswitchable, plugging into the return may short the signal for the Signal Path 1. Fortunately this is easy to test before you spend money on a switcher. Stick a cable into the return of the combo and see if Signal Path 1 still works properly. If it does then you are OK with the A/B/Y option.

In fact you could actually use the KPA as the A/B/Y switch.

Plug the Guitar straight into the KPA.

Take Monitor Out and connect to Combo Loop Return.

Take the Kemper Direct Output/Send and connect to the Combo Input.

For rigs that use the KPA you don’t need to do anything; just play and have fun.

For rigs that use the Combo instead of the KPA. Insert the FX Loop effect in Stomp A. As there is no FX return to the Kemper in this scenario, you will break the signal path and simply send guitar straight to the combo.

Changing rigs (or simply turning Off Stomp A) will switch between Signal Path. 1 and Signal Path 2.

• Indeed this hair could be split many ways. It really comes down to how the combo amp behaves in regard to its effects loop routing. If you can plug a guitar straight into the loop return and hear sound then you're golden with a simple A/B box. It's not really up to the Kemper, but the Kemper can in fact solve the problem if need be, per wheresthedug's suggestion.

• I have been thinking about this and realised that what you really need is to run the KPA in full 4CM mode with the combo in the FX loop of the KPA.

To achieve this simply do everything I said above PLUS complete the loop by adding a cable from the Combo FX Send to the KPA FX Return.

Now you can place the KPA FX loop in any Stomp block you choose and use Kemper FX with the combo. For example put the Loop in Stomp D and you can place 3 Kemper stomps in from of the Combo and use the Kemper for Modulation, Delay, Reverb Etc in the FX Loop of the Combo.

In this scenario you would probably want to use a footswitch the remote to toggle the Loop On/Off and Stack On/Off together so when the Loop is active than the signal is going through the Combo preamp the the Stack section of the KPA would be bypassed to avoid going through two amps.

In theory you could use parallel path to have the Combo and KPA running together but in practice there may be phase issues which stop it sounding as glorious as you might hope.