Kemper Power Kabinet too bassy/dark

• I recently purchased a Kemper Power Kabinet and find it to be way too bassy & dark sounding as compared to what I hear in my headphones (Grado SR235’s). My Fender Blackface Deluxe & Morgan RCA35 ( Michael Britt) profiles sound nothing like either one, too much bass and very dull through the Power Kabinet. Any suggestions on the Kemper’s settings that may brighten up the Kab and get it closer to the Blackface to es I’m used to?

• Bass boost is off. There are so many different settings in the 8 pages of the output menu, some of which are different EQ’s. Kind of baffling for a newbie like me! If I try to EQ the bass down the Kabinet still sounds a little dark and boxy.

Maybe the Power Kabinet just isn’t for me?!?! :P

• You should read the chapter dedicated to the KEMPER Kabinet and KEMPER Kone in the Main Manual. It explains the settings and modes of operation of the KEMPER Kabinet. So far we don't even know, if you are running the Kabinet in full-range mode or in Speaker Imprint mode. Perhaps you have just selected a Speaker Imprint, that you don't like. Don't judge before you better understand.

• I thought it was in Kone mode but possibly not. Out of a lack of patience/understanding I listed it on Reverb and it sold immediately, unfortunately.=O I guess I'll be sticking with headphones for a while until I can read the manual to better understand the output options!

Thanks for your help, everyone!

• I thought it was in Kone mode but possibly not. Out of a lack of patience/understanding I listed it on Reverb and it sold immediately, unfortunately.=O I guess I'll be sticking with headphones for a while until I can read the manual to better understand the output options!

Thanks for your help, everyone!

That's too bad. Next time, ask questions early and often. Answers come pretty quickly on these forums, and lots of times, the answers are simple to follow. Without this forum, I would still be stuck on Page 1.

Keep rockin!

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• For me the low pass filter is a must. I use a Kemper Power Rack and it’s far too bassy through a guitar cab unless I low pass at around 150-160. I also use the monitor output eq to bump up the highs as the power amp is on the darker side. Definitely make use of these to get it where you want.

• For me the low pass filter is a must. I use a Kemper Power Rack and it’s far too bassy through a guitar cab unless I low pass at around 150-160. I also use the monitor output eq to bump up the highs as the power amp is on the darker side. Definitely make use of these to get it where you want.

This is a totally different point as the original post was about the Kabinet. Given cabs and imprints etc. have a much larger effect on the sound, the comparison is not relevant. Every Monitor has different characteristics and people need to be aware of that.

The poweramp in the power rack is pretty transparent, so its unlikely that the amp itself is making things dark.

Its more likely to be the profiles, monitor cab on/off etc. when using a guitar cab, its best to use direct profiles as well etc. In other words the basics need to be right first ( as per the issue found) before making eq changes and trying to correct issues through eq and filters.

• I’m picking up another Kemper Power Kabinet this weekend! I’m going to give it another shot tweaking the output settings. I wish there were screenshots of all 9 output page settings to make it easy!

Just start with the basics and make sure the Kone is active as a starter. As mentioned I don't really tweak the eq much at all.

Let us know how you get on.

• Did a complete reset on my Kemper Profiler (just in case I messed up some settings from my first Power Kabinet!) and hooked up the new Power Kabinet and carefully went through the output settings and it now sounds amazing! I’m not sure what I had screwed up with the previous Power Kabinet but the difference is night and day! Thanks for all the suggestions and advice to get it set up properly! I’m so glad you all convinced me to patiently give it another shot! :)