4x12 cabinet and volume

• In this long unfortunate COVID-19 period I rehearse at home with my powered profiler and just a mixer and 2 powered studio monitors. I'm able to sound very loud.

But now I get a chance to go out and use my 4 x 12 stereo cab, of course unpowered. The problem is that I can't compete in loudness with the other guys when soloing. I connected my 2 outputs to Direct Out and to Monitor Out and set their Volumes in OUTPUT to the max (-4 dB). But this isn't enough... What now? How do I get more volume?

I also notice that increasing my guitar volume knob doesn't make any difference in loudness!

• Do you have a Powered KPA? If so, connect the Amplifier Output to the 4x12 cabinet. The internal amplifier is mono, so connect to the mono input of the cabinet, or use a speaker cable that splits the signal.

Hi Paults,

Yes! It's a Powered KPA. I'm not sure if I understand what you mean with Amp Output. Is this one of the Main Outs, or the Speaker Output or Monitor Output or....?

The internal amplifier is mono, so connect to the mono input of the cabinet, or use a speaker cable that splits the signal.

Here are the speaker inputs on my 4x12 cabinet (SEE PICTURE). Notice the switch above that now is set to the right. This can be wrong according to the right impedance settings. I'm really not familiar with impedance settings....:(...

What Ohms is the 4x12 because that makes a volume difference?

Hi BayouTexan, Please take a look at my picture about impedance. Maybe the setting is done wrong...

dp you have the power amp boost maxed out at +6db? If not do so.

Hi Wherestedug, I've set the Power Amp Boost in the Output section to +6.7 dB.

I still think the OP either doesn’t have a powered Profiler or uses outputs other than the the red poweramp output (per his post).

Hi Ingolf, What do you mean with the abbreviation OP...?

As I wrote in my topic, I have a powered profiler so a powered KPA. And yes: in my study at home I always connect the Direct Out and the Monitor Out to a mixer, which goes to 2 studio monitors, connected to my computer. Very Loud if I want that... but now just with a 4 x 12 cab...

• This below...

Quote from Ingolf

The powered Kemper produces 600 Watt @ 8 Ohm or 300 Watt @ 16 Ohm.

A 16 Ohm speaker will be not as loud as an 8 Ohm speaker.

4 Ohm speakers are not recommended.

The Kemper powered amp only works on the speaker output. The connection with the red ring around it on back (see pic below). It is the only connected that is "powered". All other outputs are "line level" and require a separate amp if you were to hook them to cabs. Or you hook up powered cabs (with built-in amps) to the Main/Monitor outputs.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Sorry, turns out the maximum power amp boost is 12db not 6db. Boost that all the way up.

You speaker is running at 16ohms in mono which means that the KPA power amp will be producing 300w rather than 600w. That should still be plenty loud enough to keep up with other band member’s amps.

As others have already mentioned, you need to use the red Speaker Out but I am sure you are already doing this or it would be nearly silent not just struggling to keep up.

• theplayer : OP means original poster.

Ah...you mean TS (Topic Starter) Thank you for clearing this up! Put OP also in my vocabulary :)

This below...

The Kemper powered amp only works on the speaker output. The connection with the red ring around it on back (see pic below). It is the only connected that is "powered". All other outputs are "line level" and require a separate amp if you were to hook them to cabs. Or you hook up powered cabs (with built-in amps) to the Main/Monitor outputs.

Yes, many (!) years ago I used this Speaker Output but since I discovered the Direct Output and the Monitor Output for a much wider stereo sound in conjunction with my 2 powered QSC K8 (1000 W each!) speaker units, a new sound world opened: loud and clear. That's why I then left my 4x 12 at home.

So I guess it must stay there because I won't be able to get the same results as with my 2 powered QSC cabs (though a 4x 12 gives a much better look on stage...:))

Or I'd have to look for a 19" stereo hybrid power amp, something like this: 2 x 45W

an then use Direct Output and Monitor output to these speaker inputs en 2 speaker outputs to my 4x12 cab, right?