Double Tracker on MONITOR OUT in mono sounds thin

• Hi guys,

the Double Tracker sounds really great when used in stereo.

I have connected two powered monitor speaker to the Stage MONITOR OUT, set to Master Stereo.

When I switch MONITOR OUT to Master Mono, the sounds gets somehow thinner is no more "great" as before.

Any idea how to fix this, or do the DT no work well in mono mode?

Tx

Stefan

• You could try the output source "Master Left" for the MONITOR OUT instead of "Master Mono". This way you could use the Double Tracker at stereo outputs e.g. MAIN OUT avoiding the issues at the MONITOR OUT.

• I am in progress ordering an Kemper Power Kabinet ..... and I guess I will have the same Double Tracker sound issue when using it on Monitor Out in mono? Could anybody verify this who has the Kemper Power Kabinett? Maybe someone from Kemper in the showroom? ;)

Many Thanks

Stefan

• I thought, when I switch to mono, the to stereo channels are summed up when switching to mono.

I believe mono is the default which would not be the "sum" of the two. Stereo would be the splitting of the mono into two signals with a delay and different EQ on one side. Still, the effect of the DT on a mono signal is negligible. Most audience can't hear it at all that way--maybe you get a slight chorus effect.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I thought, when I switch to mono, the to stereo channels are summed up when switching to mono.

You are correct. And because some frequencies (especially the low-end) are out of phase it cancels out when summed to mono. The solution is to only user one side (mono left) when using mono and the double tracker.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I believe mono is the default which would not be the "sum" of the two. Stereo would be the splitting of the mono into two signals with a delay and different EQ on one side. Still, the effect of the DT on a mono signal is negligible. Most audience can't hear it at all that way--maybe you get a slight chorus effect.

Sorry but this is wrong. There is a clear difference between using mono and mono - left when using the double tracker. Mono loses all bottom end. Mono left works ok (but you can't hear the effect obviously).

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Sorry but this is wrong. There is a clear difference between using mono and mono - left when using the double tracker. Mono loses all bottom end. Mono left works ok (but you can't hear the effect obviously).

I meant that mono is the default signal chain - otherwise you would have two guitar inputs. There is no summing of the initial input because it is mono. I am talking before the effect not after. Mono e mono.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Interesting Discussion....

At first I figured that I need to set (increase) the DT Volume to about +2, this was one thing which changed my "sound feeling" .......

And I understand from all your explanation, the DT not only doubles the Guitar Signal with some "Looseness", but also changes the guitar sound.

Here my test setups:

Double Tracker parameters:

Looseness: 5 , Stereo: 100% , Detune: 0,0 cent, Volume: +2

1. Monitor Out set to MONO, connected FRFR-108 Channel 1 to Monitor Out Left

--> It's OK, but Still can here sound difference

2. Monitor Out set to MONO, connected FRFR-108 Channel 1 to Monitor Out Left AND FRFR-108 Channel 2 to Monitor Out Right

--> It's OK, only here slightly sound difference - at least my ears ?

3. Monitor Out set to STEREO, connected FRFR-108 Channel 1 to Monitor Out Left AND FRFR-108 Channel 2 to Monitor Out Right

--> It's GOOD for me, my ears can here no more sound difference (as expected)

Option 3. is my current solution which works with the FRFR-108, because it has 2 separate input channels.

But I think it will not work with the Kemper Power Cabinet ?

May somebody can try option 1. with the Kemper Power Cabinet ?

Many Thanks to all for all the help and explanation ! ( I am still a Profile Newbie, so I need some support from the "old" Kemper Guys ?)

Stefan