Matrix KPA amp module : The Test !!

• Today I hooked up with a few guitar players friend of mine to test this guy :) Note that it was not a test to hear how a rig records or sounds through a PA..this was for stage monitoring purpose only so a recording of this wouldn't tell you much.You needed to be in the room to hear ( and play)..So just trust me..or perform your own test ;)

First test I wanted to do was to hear how the Matrix performs compared to an FRFR type of amp that you find in powered speakers. For this test to be valid we need an active and passive version of the same cabinet. So we had the RCF ART310A and its passive version .MKII series with all neo's that was just being discontinued for the MKIII a couple months ago . Not the high end of RCF but in my experience after opening a few recent RCF's ,all 300,400 and 700 series have somewhat the same basic amp module.The difference is in the Speakers and a few tweaks
    I plugged the main out of the KPA into the A and the monitor out of the KPA into the Matrix and P. This allows to quickly go from one to another and separate EQ. I first tried to get a balanced sound using a preset I did on my Studio monitors .First thing I'm going to say is that the active version needed more EQ.This cab is bass heavy .
    The Matrix + passive sounded more like you'd expect .The feel is closer to a real guitar amp and cab,though you clearly hear you're playing plastic cabs.But no harsh highs.The highs sing with just the right amount of attack.No exagerated lows that could be a pain onstage .Not too tight ,not too soft.Just right .You get that springy response you expect from a good tube amp.That push in the right mids .The active can sound somewhat close but not that close You'll clearly hear AND feel the difference.Every part of the bandwidth is at the right place . In this particular case the only thing that could make you choose the active version is of course if you need to monitor something else onstage. But if 100% dedicated to your guitar rig the Matrix with the passive cab is a better choice with this particular brand and model and I'm almost sure that it should be the case with others
    While we were at it we also tested a third RCF. An older ART 300 with a 12 ". Again the Matrix/passive was better.In both cases the 310's were more musical

For the second test entered a Mesa rack power amp.Not any Mesa but a modded one that was used by Steve Lukather onstage in 2010. This one is modded with two great Mercury Magnetic OT's,a bias pot and SED 6L6.It sounds much better than the stock version. We wanted to hear how that would compare to the Matrix into the passive RCF . I was not expecting much here because this is clearly not the way to go. And there it was.The mesa didn't sound right.it adds its own color and it was all "unbalanced" . Next ..

The next test was the one I was really waiting for..Enter real guitar cabs (and cab OFF on KPA this time ) .Two 2x12's Port City and among them the very best 2x12 I ever heard by far..Even the same models I tested before do not sound like this one.This cab is just Magic .It used to be mine but now belongs to my best friend cause I couldn't use it anymore because of the weight.It's not far away so if I need it ;)
    This one is equipped with V30's and doesn't have the usual high mids high spike.The other PC have WGS Veteran .
    This is were I expected the Matrix to be good but not 100% as good as the Mesa.I was wrong.Not only it was as good but it was BETTER 8o
    The highs are smoother,the mids are fuller.I wish I had a CAE 3+ at the time to test it with the Matrix cause this should just be the best possible match
    We hooked up the Amp module and also a GT1000FX .Both do sound about the same .
    This really was a very big surprise cause if the Kemper changes a lot of things those amps do too. Minimal weight.Ton of power.And the most important factor : TONE
    The matrix sounds like a tube amp in its sweet pot.You know a good tube amp doesn't sound the best on 1 and not really IMHO on 10. This sound just right were the amp have the right tube bias at the right volume.It's not stiff or hard . I hate when you can't play high notes without this ice picky attack or boomy lows.Nothing like this here

To sum it up the KPA paired with the Matrix module is a blessing for anyone who wants great tone in an ultralight (6,5 kgs),portable system.. Just get two good passive cabs and won't have to worry about tone for years :)

thx

BRUNO

Edited once, last by BRUNO ().

• VERY impressive review and that Matrix sounds like a real winner. You definitely tested against some of the very best in the business -- very well done!

So can I assume your favorite tones were the Matrix with good ole' regular guitar cabs? Based on the review it's hard to tell what scenario sounded best for you.

....and I know you probably don't know this....but any ballpark figures on the price?

GREAT JOB and THANK YOU once again.

Most appreciated.

• Thx

Yeah I did appreciate the matrix with the Port city the most BUT from what we had today only ..keep in mind that using a guitar cab means two things: 1. The guitar speaker dictates some tones and you won't be able to get rid of it. 2: You need to cut the sim on the Kemper so you're loosing a lot of info...So IMHO to find the best compromise is to use a great quality wood box with a good FRFR coax speaker..Good wood will always beat good plastic for us guitar players ..We are almost there for the portable awesome rig ..Good preamp/effects,good amp... next is the cab ;)

• Bruno,
    Great that you liked the KPA's sound into your guitar cab.
    I understood you didn't use a DI profile, but used the regular profiles with CabOff.
    Have you tried multiple rigs?
    Did you use any Monitor EQ to achieve the perfect sound or did it work flat?

• Bruno,
    Great that you liked the KPA's sound into your guitar cab.
    I understood you didn't use a DI profile, but used the regular profiles with CabOff.
    Have you tried multiple rigs?
    Did you use any Monitor EQ to achieve the perfect sound or did it work flat?

Hi Christoph

To not destract too much our ears we used the same exact tone during that day (But i tried more since)... I used both the monitor out EQ and main out EQ to get the closest to what I wanted to hear without altering what was programmed on my studio monitor and to have the two as close as possible .The goal was to really hear and feel the difference between The Matrix,a typical guitar power amp and a typical FRFR power amp . When using the Guitar cab I did just shut off cab .A DI profile would not work with the powered FRFR or matrix + passive FRFR
    I really like the sound through the guitar cab but it may limit too much the tone range and thus will not take fully advantage of the KPA... The best solution is for sure the Matrix with a full range cab but one made out of wood... I waiting for Andy to have his CFR12 ready...At 13 kgs it will be cool..Add the KPA + matrix module at 6.5kgs and you have quite a light rig

:)

• Man, i just have to say that i just got a Matrix GT1000 FX, and it rocks !!!

I set up the Matrix with a 2x12 TT Rex Cab with WGS Blackhawks - Monitor out cabsim off, and 2 RCF SMA12 - main outputs for stereo FX.....

!!! the best tone i've ever had !!!!

really,

thanks Bruno, that was awesome :thumbup:

thanks CK :thumbup:

If someone would have told me that a year ago, .... it's just unreal !

Sorry, but i had share that :love:

Cheers,

reznor

• What is the best way to get a Matrix 1000 in EU? Through Matrix official Website or G66? Does it have an other way?

Gibson Standard 1994, LTD EC-100 VB, Ibanez SR505, ENGL Savage 120

• Hi,

I've a question about this matrix module:

How is the exact specification of the Matrix amp module for KPA (I visited the matrix homepage but I couldn't find it or
    is the GM50 Cabinet amplifier meant by??) :?::?:

Thanks to Bruno for sharing this very interesting information.

Greetz
    Peter :thumbup::thumbup:

KPA-Rackversion with Line6 Powercab 112
    :thumbup: :love: :thumbup: