how do i get cabs to sound more real?

• to me the biggest problem im having is with the cab profiles none of them sound real and punchy and big like i want ive tried adding reverb to simulate space i just dont know what to do to get them to sound the way i want

[Blocked Image: http://i39.tinypic.com/f05540.jpg]
    Pro Tools HDX HD i/o 8x8x8
    SSL Nucleus
    vintech
    2 573
    2 x81
    1 609ca
    classic api 4 vp312
    Neumann kh120's
    Presonus digimax
    Furman hds-6
    splawn nitro
    gmajor 2
    kemper
    agile 727s
    yes i work at Vintech

• Don't forget that what you're hearing is the sound of a mic'd cab, not the direct sound coming from the cab. If you want that you need to use a power amp and a real cab

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Which cabs did you try so far? Have you tried Till's cabs ( search the profiles forum for the thread with the download link).
    Also try using the cab from the Siggi Mehl amp which is in the first rig pack.

Also if you could specify what type of cab for which type of music you are exactly looking for we could try to point you in the right direction.

Cheers,
    Markus

• i have all of the tills cabs and a lot of others ive gone through so many i am used to playing through a splawn nitro with kt88 power section driving a 4x12 ive impulsed it once before but wasnt happy with it i will try again once i have time it just seems like its missing that punch from the power section

SSL Nucleus
    vintech
    2 573
    2 x81
    1 609ca
    classic api 4 vp312
    Neumann kh120's
    Presonus digimax
    Furman hds-6
    splawn nitro
    gmajor 2
    kemper
    agile 727s
    yes i work at Vintech

• i have all of the tills cabs and a lot of others ive gone through so many i am used to playing through a splawn nitro with kt88 power section driving a 4x12 ive impulsed it once before but wasnt happy with it i will try again once i have time it just seems like its missing that punch from the power section

Changing from a tube amp + 4 x 12 to some nearfields can be challenging. It may take some time to get your ears used to the "producers perspective". What speakers do you use for monitoring your KPA?

• at the moment it is running into a vintech 573 mic pre into protools and out of some krk rokit 5's soon to be replaced with klien and hummel kh120's

SSL Nucleus
    vintech
    2 573
    2 x81
    1 609ca
    classic api 4 vp312
    Neumann kh120's
    Presonus digimax
    Furman hds-6
    splawn nitro
    gmajor 2
    kemper
    agile 727s
    yes i work at Vintech

• You should check Pete Turley profiles (the 3 mics), the cabs are very raw.
    By the way excellent profiles.
    I have one on my KPA's cab which is very raw but i don't know how to export it.

Edited 2 times, last by mba ().

• at the moment it is running into a vintech 573 mic pre into protools and out of some krk rokit 5's soon to be replaced with klien and hummel kh120's

hi.

first of all, you are comparing the in the room sound of a 4x12 with a miced cab to the sound through studio monitors.
    and quite small studio monitors I might add..

One solution would be to connect the Profiler to your power amp, disable the cab section and use the cab you' re used to.

Another one would be to place your amp and cab in a isolated (!) recording room/booth and setting up a mic/mics.
    Monitor this signal through your studio monitors and adjust amp & mics until you're happy.
    Now profile and refine this setup and you'll find that the Profiler matches this sound exactly.

The K&H monitors will be a big improvent since they project the low end much better without sounding woofy, so maybe you just need the better speakers and higher volume to feel at home. :)

• i tried the kemper through a rocktron velocity 100 into the cab and it just seems to be lacking the power section punch that the actual amp has i dont know what to do about it

SSL Nucleus
    vintech
    2 573
    2 x81
    1 609ca
    classic api 4 vp312
    Neumann kh120's
    Presonus digimax
    Furman hds-6
    splawn nitro
    gmajor 2
    kemper
    agile 727s
    yes i work at Vintech

• i tried the kemper through a rocktron velocity 100 into the cab and it just seems to be lacking the power section punch that the actual amp has i dont know what to do about it

Do you guys play with a guitar cabinet?
    You should have all the punch of the real amp.
    Please tell me your cablings and settings.

• Perhaps try a VHT.
    I had a rocktron 100 velocity and sold it quickly.

Agree, the problem here is the Power amp. The Velocity is a 2x40W 8 Ohm. 40W solid state is a bit less to drive a 4x12....

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• is there a way to assign a different cab to the monitor section say the di profile and a different cab to the main outputs?

SSL Nucleus
    vintech
    2 573
    2 x81
    1 609ca
    classic api 4 vp312
    Neumann kh120's
    Presonus digimax
    Furman hds-6
    splawn nitro