Tranposing..any negative effects?

• My band is about to audition a lead vocalist who has requested that we detune a half step. I have done this before, but it changes the string tension, which is generally not a problem...unless you have a tendency to bend strings a lot. I have tried heavier gauged strings, but I still have to adjust my attack. I have also resorted to using the Transpose option in the Kemper. It seems to work pretty well, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced any negative effects to using this handy feature?

• Transpose is a great option but it does add a little latency and some artefacts to the sound. Some people are very sensitive to these and find it affects their playing and enjoyment. Others don’t notice it at all. Tuning down would generally be a better solution for most people if you need to tune down for every song but transpose is great for the one or two down tuned songs in a set.

Basically, it is your personal decision whether the string tension differences are better or worse than the latency and artefacts from digital transposition.

I have both a Digitech Whammy DT and the KPA. The KPA sounds more neutral to me but the Digitech adds a special something that some people prefer.

• I would try the Transpose with the band and see how it goes. You might not notice a difference at all. When I use it in the studio, I can only use headphones so I don't hear the natural string acoustics against the detune. I have used it several times an octave down for Bass tracking and it's pretty good considering the size of guitar strings to bass strings. But I agree with Wheresthedug, Tuning down the actual strings is best.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.