Kemper paired with a modeller

• I'm considering purchasing a Helix for my Kemper to use as both a dedicated FX unit and an interface. Well, that or an Axe FX II. One or t'other.

Basically the idea is that the Kemper does all the amp stuff. Treat it as the ultimate amp head (now that I've figured it out and grown to love what it can do - for the most part). The Helix/Axe would be used for 4cm fx, impulse loading/blending/combining, and interfacing capabilities, with the possibility of blending a modeled tone from a different amp with a profile from the Kemper.

I'm after things like more complex fx chains than the Kemper can do, despite the Kemper profiles sounding amazing I'm finding it a little limited in terms of IR loading and fx (and the non-existent interface).

I'm wondering if this is too overkill though, or would it not work ie. would the FX unit not play well with the Kemper in 4cm? I basically want to be able to run fx both in front of and behind the Kemper profiles, with a multi-fx being able to do more than what's on offer in the Kemper. Or am I just overthinking the whole thing?
  • The Kemper will do mostly the same as the Helix or the Axe with very few exceptions that's not even in the ballpark to justify buying one.

The Helix has some nice effects but Kemper is almost equal to those. You would not notice the difference of effects between the two in a live setting, and you can always use a plugin for recording. I owned a Helix for 2 weeks and returned it because the amp modeling is horrible and I did not want to search through 1,000's of IRs online to find something to make it sound reasonable.

I have never tried the Axe but it ran second to online reviews against the Kemper. I like how the Axe can do dual amps for Left and Right channels, but again, not necessary for live, and I can do dual amps with Kemper in recording by using a plugin, double tracking, or reamping. I am interested in their tone matching software but that still doesn't justify a purchase. And I suspect some future tone-matching plugin will work with the Kemper.

I believe you are overthinking things. Just plug in and play.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.