Can you tell which is which? Real Pedal with Clean Profile vs Kemper Plexi

• I use a lot of pedals - also with the Kemper.

Today I had the Mad Professor Lound'n Proud pedal running into a clean profile of a Hot Rod DeVille Michael Landau amp. For fun I tried it against my favourite Marshall Plexi profile (but using the same cab / IR). Like the real amp, the Fender DeVille ML profiles take pedals really well. The profile was really clean (reduced gain) to show the pure sound of the pedal. With a more gainy profile the transistor characteristics are even less noticeable. Can you tell immediately which is the pedal? First (A) or second (B) example?

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hi Tobi, nice challenge. Really not too much difference and easy to go wrong. 50/50 chance at least 8o

After hearing it three times my vote is: A / first example is the pedal and B / second example is the Plexi profile. Just listening to it. Gut feeling and statistics tell me it is the other way around because the second sample is longer and you probably did that with the pedal then :S

• I don't bother listening to tones outside the mix because you know very well that the one that sounds best in the mix is the correct one -- pedal or not. ;)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Yes, you all got it right. First (A) is the pedal into clean Fender, second (B) is the Plexi profile.

When listening to the tones fading out you can also clearly notice the pedal sounding more crumbly, brittle.

This pedal is only running at 9V. Another Mad Professor Pedal, the "Super Black" (Blackface Amp) takes 9V to 16V - and you get more headroom and the gain structure gets rounder and smoother.

I use the Super Black with the Kemper sometimes (giving a warm basic profile a blackface openess when needed and because I like the amplike controls; also has Sweethoney Overdrive included.

The "Loud'n Proud" is mainly used, because it also has a reliable, nice Fuzz integrated that reacts like a vintage germanium Fuzz to the Volume knob of the guitar.

Both units also work into poweramp or direct with cab sim / IR.

• your plexi and ir profile sounds really great.
    is it possible to share it? :)

• your plexi and ir profile sounds really great.
    is it possible to share it? :)

It's a commercial profile (Friedman Smallbox) from "b little". The original cab from the profile sounds great. But for comparison I used a Choptones IR (Fend ML VTY - Fender Hot Rod DeVille Michael Landau 2x12 with V-Type speakers) on both examples.

• It's a commercial profile (Friedman Smallbox) from "b little". The original cab from the profile sounds great. But for comparison I used a Choptones IR (Fend ML VTY - Fender Hot Rod DeVille Michael Landau 2x12 with V-Type speakers) on both examples.

thanks. Yes B little make some really great profiles and he’s a really cool guy.
    had the chance to beta test some of his first profiles and they really sounded great.