Why locking a module lights up second effect LED?

• Hi,

I've been searching for a reason to explain this but I didn't find anything on the manual or the internet.

My main goal is to replicate my pedalboard, so I need to use the lock function for maintaining the same pedals when switching rigs, which for me means switch between different gain stages. Thus, I locked a reverb and assigned it to switch IIII, and my surprise is that the bottom right LED switches ON when it's assigned. I believed that this LED is the ON/OFF for any SECOND assignment on that switch, so I assigned a second effect and now it works as expected, lighting up when the second effect is ON/OFF.

Is this the normal behaviour on your Kemper? I'm using the Stage version with 8.6.6.32765 release.

I suppose it may be a bug or something, but since I'm quite new on this forum I don't know if this is read my Kemper staff ?

Thanks!

P.S: Obviously, is not a relevant issue or trouble to see another LED on, for those who read this as a complaint ??

• This is normal.

If you lock an effect module witch has an exclusive assignment to one Effect Button - in other words this Effect Button has just this one assignment - in this case the assignment is locked together with the effect module. So, if you load a different Rig, not just the effect will stay (in your example the reverb) but also the assignment of Effect Button III will be locked and stick. This scenario is indicated by the upper right LED.

If an Effect Button has multiple assignments these don't get locked together with the corresponding effect modules, because this could create logical conflicts. Imagine an Effect Button having 3 assignments, but only the third assigned module is locked. What should now happen, when the next Rig gets loaded? Things are getting cumbersome. Therefor only single assignments can get locked together with the effect module. Consequently, there are no conflicting LED functions.

• Main Manual page 291:

Locking Effect Buttons

Effect Buttons are jointly locked/unlocked as soon as the assigned effect module is locked/unlocked. This is indicated by the white LED lit on the right side. However, this only applies if no more than one effect module is assigned to the same Effect Button. The Remote’s display uses two different icons – one indicates an effect module that is only locked on the PROFILER, while the other indicates that the Effect Button on the Remote is also locked.

• Sorry, I didn't remember that part!

But I think that what should happen is that just the third assigned module should be locked when changing the rig, therefore occupying the first assignment. However, I think it's strange to someone wanting that behaviour, and the logical conflict on changing the position of that third assigned module persists. Though, you could just let assign locked modules to a switch that already had a locked module, so it does nothing if you try to assign an unlocked module to a switch with a locked module assigned. Therefore, the lock function will be available with more than one effect modules locked in a switch, which I think many players would find interesting.

• Imagine, you have currently loaded a Rig in which Effect Button II has four module assignments A, B, C, and D - currently all unlocked.

Now you lock module B, would you be aware, that consequently all four modules A, B, C, D are locked because of their joint assignments to Effect Button II?

And if you would lock module B in another Rig, where the assigned Effect Button II has assignments to B, X, DLY, and REV, those would be locked alltogether?

Or what should happen to the aother assignments, if you lock one module with an assignment?

• The software shouldn’t let you lock a module if it is assigned to a switch with other unlocked modules, so that situation won’t happen. A warning message on the screen should be enough to alert you that you can’t mix locked/unlocked modules. Or just a continue screen like “Locking this module will lock every module assigned to switch I (or whatever switch). Are you sure?” However, this way it would be possible to assign several locked modules to a single switch, thus making available the lock function with more modules in a single switch.

• My point here was to be able to assign several locked modules to a switch, like it is possible to assign unlocked modules. I think that with the previous post I offered a plausible solution to Burkhard , without creating any logical conflicts.

But in top of all this, Rig Manager should let you do EVERYTHING you can do with the profiler’s screen. Maybe footswitch assignment it’s not that necessary because it’s a physical thing where you press two physical buttons, and you’re not gonna use Rig Manager without your profiler next to you. But, for example, you can’t save effects presets. Why? ??‍♂️ I’m quite new with my Kemper Stage, but I’m finding several software issues that I’m sure other guitarists around have thought and they’re not that difficult to change, being most of them user interface-related.

• But in top of all this, Rig Manager should let you do EVERYTHING you can do with the profiler’s screen. Maybe footswitch assignment it’s not that necessary because it’s a physical thing where you press two physical buttons, and you’re not gonna use Rig Manager without your profiler next to you.

I actually totally disagree with this. When using RM you would simply be pressing to virtual buttons instead of two physical buttons. No need to have the profiler with you. Being able to set this up in RM would allow you to configure footswitch behaviour at the point of making up performances (even without being connected to the Profiler.

To take this a step further. What if I use the same basic footswitch layout for most of my Rigs. Say for example;

Button i toggles A (which is almost alway Wah)

Button ii toggles B (which might typically toggle the on/off state of compressor and boost

Button iii turns on/off Dly block

Button iiii turns on/off Reverb block.

the actual effects and/or their settings/presets in each of these block might vary from rig to rig so locking isn’t an option; but these footswitch assignments remain constant between multiple rigs.

It would be great to be able to store Footswitch assignments as Presets so that they could be used over and over with a single drag and drop.