Recording with my Kemper stage, observation.

• I finally started getting back into doing a little recording this past weekend. This is the first time since I replaced my interface. I was previously using an Eleven Rack so all of the modeling was built into my interface. I connected my Kemper using SPDIF to my new interface and it is working perfectly.

One thing that I noticed is that my profiles sound so much thicker and darker than they do through a PA speaker. I dialed all of them in through a PA speaker on a stand setting next to the amp that I typically gig. I turned them up to the same volume level and then tweaked the profiles. I honestly didn't have to adjust much. However, through the SPDIF connection into my computer everything became darker and thicker. Where I really noticed it was when I plugged a 60s spec telecaster in and the bridge pickup had a great thick rock sound. That definitely caught my attention.

I tried a couple of strats and guitars with single coil neck pickups in the because that is the tone I was looking for and knew they would all sound just a little different. I was amazed at how different they sounded through this connection. I made a few tweaks to get it sounding like I wanted it to. I can definitely see the value in having profiles setup for recording and others for live playing. I was not expecting this result at all. It sounded a lot different than it does through a PA speaker. The differences in the guitars was more noticeable as well.

This is just an observation that I have after experiencing this. It was easy enough to work around. I can see why some people complain about their profiles being really dark now.

• I finally started getting back into doing a little recording this past weekend. ... my profiles sound so much thicker and darker than they do through a PA speaker. I dialed all of them in through a PA speaker on a stand setting next to the amp that I typically gig.

May I ask you which PA speaker you use? Generally speaking, if you use them on the floor (like monitor wedges) they produce (project) more low end. Maybe you've unintentionally tuned your rigs to compensate for the lack of "body" while on a stand?

• I think you raise a very interesting observation that few pure guitarists ( I mean people who don't have a good knowledge of sound engineering as well) realize the affects of both different signal chains and volume have on the sound.

Because the Kemper is a unit that does both and gives the consistent output, we are exposed directly to those variants.

I've learnt a lot since having the KPA as a result :)

• May I ask you which PA speaker you use? Generally speaking, if you use them on the floor (like monitor wedges) they produce (project) more low end. Maybe you've unintentionally tuned your rigs to compensate for the lack of "body" while on a stand?

I used a QSC K8. I am using a profile of the amp the speaker is setting next to as well as Tone Junkie profiles of a Dirty Shirley amp. The only thing I adjusted on the TJ profiles is to dial back the effects on them. The profiles of my amp sound just like my amp does in the room when played through the K8 at a similar volume. I didn't EQ any of the profiles from the original captures. I am super happy with how the sound through the PA speaker. I can bring a K12 in and hook it up to see if they get more low end in them. I would say that the top end on the profiles sounds better through the PA speaker as well.

I am very aware of the coupling effect of having a cabinet on the floor. That is why I put the speaker on a stand. I wanted to hear what it is going to sound like coming out of the FOH. I use the K12s for my FOH speakers. I figured if I had the cabinet on the floor I may dial out low end due to coupling and then have a very thin sounding guitar through the FOH. I haven't adjusted the profiles or heavily EQ'd them. I can also EQ it back in the DAW. I was just a little surprised at the difference.