Next updates?

• Hmmm, happy to be proved wrong but I'm not sure pickups make that much difference, I think its more subtle. Yes a 60's single coil will sound nothing like an EMG 81 but the difference between a Seymour Blackout's...I change my pickups more for those subtle changes ( bit more drive usually) but driving a cranked amp as volume?

• Please, please, do the guitar wood imprints! Because mahogany sounds darker and alder is brighter. Can we also have mix parameter in such imprints? So that people can mix some amount of mahogany to alder strats with maple fingerboards, that would be awesome!

I hope the market competition is not reading this, because they may come with OCTAQUAD FX90 Ultra with such features and Kemper would go bankrupt, because they wouldn't compete without such crucial effects.

• Hmmm, happy to be proved wrong but I'm not sure pickups make that much difference, I think its more subtle. Yes a 60's single coil will sound nothing like an EMG 81 but the difference between a Seymour Blackout's...I change my pickups more for those subtle changes ( bit more drive usually) but driving a cranked amp as volume?

At least for me, pickups can transform a guitar.

I have a ‘52 RI Tele. The stock pups were ‘good’….but not great. I put a set of Fishman’s Greg Koch Fluence pickups in and what was a very good guitar turned into a great one.

Both sets ‘sound’ like a Tele…..but man alive do the Fishmans *work*.

This almost ridiculously painstaking comparison of guitar components affect on overall tone is eye opening. It all has an affect…..but not in the way the Cork Sniffers want you to believe.

https://youtu.be/n02tImce3AE

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I've got insider information now. The toaster will with the next update make better and crunchier breads when toasting. Yummy!:P

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I just happened to google "pickup sims" and this is what I found. I don't think Kemper makes it.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

At 8:23 ... I really though a Kemper Logo will be revealed :D

• Some people are going to need counseling….

Yep.

Although, I don't believe that the upshot of this is that the construction of a guitar (materials etc) makes no difference.

Egs:

Two different strats with the same strings and pickups, one maple finger board and one rosewood. Totally different presence in a mix recorded one after the other through the same signal chain.

Totally different level of sustain from a jointed neck LP Standard compared to a bolt on Fender guitar.

Nevertheless it is an excellent demo of how much sound is there with air between the bridge and nut. Of course - something he doesn't say: Don't underestimate the contribution of the bench and the other attachment point - those timber materials which are attached to the bridge and the nut are resonating in sympathy with the strings. The air in between is not the critical factor, the materials joined to the attachment points at each end are part of the equation.

Edit: If you are in doubt about this, do you remember fooling around with a tuning fork? Strike it and hold it in the air - sound is soft but audible. Then plant the base of the fork on a bench or table. Suddenly the sound is massively louder. Put it on the soundboard of an acoustic instrument like a guitar or violin - now you have the body, the sound box and the strings vibrating in sympathy. Everything in a room is acoustically coupled to everything else - just through the conducting medium of the air. If there is an actual physical connection, the transmission of sound is much stronger.

• I have a slightly different view. The kit guitar and the 2 by 4 didn’t sound significantly different for me to say ‘maple this, rosewood that’.

They influence, of course…..but if your pickups are crap (or just the wrong ones), none of the other stuff is going to ‘fix’ that. Certainly not for the effort required vs changing pickups.

• I have a slightly different view. The kit guitar and the 2 by 4 didn’t sound significantly different for me to say ‘maple this, rosewood that’.

They influence, of course…..but if your pickups are crap (or just the wrong ones), none of the other stuff is going to ‘fix’ that. Certainly not for the effort required vs changing pickups.

At the end of the day, without a double-blind test it's purely a personal matter as to what features of a guitar affect tone and are "best" for a given purpose. Likely the reason you rarely see double-blind tests. I think Kemper generated the most blind tests when it launched -- I've never seen so many videos trying to figure out "is it Kemper, or is it a tube amp"

• At the end of the day, without a double-blind test it's purely a personal matter as to what features of a guitar affect tone and are "best" for a given purpose. Likely the reason you rarely see double-blind tests. I think Kemper generated the most blind tests when it launched -- I've never seen so many videos trying to figure out "is it Kemper, or is it a tube amp"

Yeah - at the end of the day, it ends up as personal preference. Electric guitarists are, in general, set in our ways. Everyone feel free to piss and moan at that statement. It’s true.

Tube amps based on tech from the late 1800s, pickups based on a design from the 1930s and general guitar design and construction based in the1950s.

Im still shaking my head at how close the ‘cheap’ guitars sounded to the Tom Anderson.

I am *not* saying a high-end guitar isn’t worth it. Its just that the extra money isn’t going to produce the night-and-day differences so many believe exist. It’ll play better and be more durable etc.

But sound $4,000 (or whatever) ‘better’. Nah.

• They influence, of course…..but if your pickups are crap (or just the wrong ones), none of the other stuff is going to ‘fix’ that. Certainly not for the effort required vs changing pickups.

I agree that everything on a guitar contributes, but what you say here is what pickup simulators like the Keyztone or Sim X1 try to handle. Not exact, but close enough for a lot of use. I don't exactly how they work, but it seems very much like what the speaker imprints do. But on the input instead of the output. They take your guitars raw output and adjust it to their saved outputs.

Can't say if they have enough range to fix real crap, but I get a pretty reasonable Strat, Tele or P90 out of a Les Paul and PRS, and a good humbucker out of a Strat and Tele. So I was just saying if Kemper could do something similar, they might even do it better.

• I’d love a hx stomp size version… I don’t need all the effects… just the amp feature of kemper

This would be a good option for those who still like to use analog pedals (sometimes I do), however, you still need most of the inputs and outputs from the original which determines the physical size. But this would not be an "Update". It would be a new product.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.